• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isles of Scilly Seabirds Protection (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
I thought this was good news for the Scilly seabirds.

Full article here.

Rats will be killed on two islands in the Isles of Scilly as part of a 25-year project to help protect seabirds.

Home to breeding populations of 14 species and approximately 20,000 birds, one of the islands' major threats is predation of eggs and chicks by rats.

Conservationists hope by clearing St Agnes and Gugh, the seabird population will be significantly restored.

The project has secured £700,000 in funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and the EU LIFE programme.

I thought this was good news for the Scilly seabirds. Full article here. Rats will be killed on two islands in the Isles of Scilly as part of a 25-year project to help protect seabirds. Home to breeding populations of 14 species and approximately 20,000 birds, one of the islands' major threats is predation of eggs and chicks by rats. Conservationists hope by clearing St Agnes and Gugh, the seabird population will be significantly restored. The project has secured £700,000 in funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and the EU LIFE programme.

I read about this worthwhile;) project on the BBC News website where an illiterate:C and innumerate:C headline writer described it as "Island's £7m rat-trap" (instead of "Islands' £700 000 rat-trap", there being two islands involved and not one).:-C
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back