• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It,s WAR (5 Viewers)

Hey Mark, I usually find a persons gallery is a good indicator of how good, bad or indifferent their knowledge of cameras and photography is. I just looked at yours and its empty! 3:)3:)3:)3:)
Nigel, You do raise a good point. Anyone can buy a camera but not everyone takes the time to get familiar with it completely. A persons experience of their equipment will show on the end result which is always worth bearing in mind. I still study all my pictures in detail.
regards,
Paul

I still study all my pictures in detail.

I study mine, too, and always cringe at what I see. :stuck:

As for experience, I would think that a good way to learn your gear is to take pictures using the manual settings. That way you get to learn about photography faster than you would just leaving the thing set to 'auto'.

Hi mr ,BLAKE, my mate ,old pal.I do have my photos on the web but not on this forum when i have a bit of time i shall put some on here.(just for you ) all taken with my humble D70 and a jam jar for a lens , yes its not what you got! I here you say,BUT ITS
HOW YOU USE IT , fine for a person who walks around carrying £10,000 plus of equipment, WELL i think i should go now, and make some more hides ,NOW WHERES THAT SAW GONE, its hard being on the dole.......

Mark, you may wish to visit dpreview... we think you'll find it more suited to your style of posting and where those with one brand venture into another brand's forum at their peril.

BF has managed quite happily over the years in the photography section without any of the brand war fanboy rubbish you get on some other sites. Yep, there can be heated discussion here but it's generally constructive.

Despite this thread's title, let's try to aim for the same thing... constructive advice and better photos.

regards,
Andy

I am no different from a lot of other people and want the best equipment I can afford. HOWEVER I recently went to Manchester Museum to see an exhibition of wildlife photography. The images were STUNNING and when I looked most were taken with a Canon 10D and a 100 - 400 zoom lens. This is exactly my set up.

Conclusion - I need to be a better photographer not buy better equipment.

The 10D is old and nowhere near the top of the list in best cameras today but just look at the pictures it takes. Get out there with whatever you have or can afford and work hard and practice!!!

I think we all forget this when a shiny new toy comes along.

James

It's a shame Canon lenses won't work on Nikon cameras and vice versa.

Canon lenses won't work on Nikon cameras, as you say, but adapters are available which will let you use Nikon lenses on Canon EOS cameras whilst maintaining infinity focus without adding any extra optics.

I use Nikon lenses on Canon cameras all the time, and although there are limitations (such as no AF), they work well for me. It's great having such a large pool of lenses to choose from, and quite a few other brands can be adapted for use on Canon cameras as well, giving a huge choice.

I knew there was something like that knocking around.

Pity it's the wrong way round, I don't think there's many Canon guys that would soil their camera with a Nikon lens (it's a joke people!).

I knew there was something like that knocking around.

Pity it's the wrong way round, I don't think there's many Canon guys that would soil their camera with a Nikon lens (it's a joke people!).

Right, it's tripods at dawn matey. |=)|

Seriously though, I don't know if you know about the new Nikon to Canon adaptor which allows Nikon AFS lenses to be used on Canon bodies. AFS lenses are normally unusable, except at full aperture, due to the lack of an aperture ring. I believe the adaptor effectively incorporates an aperture ring and connections to the aperture lever.

http://www.16-9.net/nikon_g/

I have no idea how well it words, and I also have no connnection, financial or whatever, with the maker and/or seller.

I suspect Nikon are not pleased with this, as it allows landscape photographers to use the new Nikon 14-24 F2.8 lens on Canon cameras, hence removing a reason to buy a Nikon camera.

Seriously though, I don't know if you know about the new Nikon to Canon adaptor which allows Nikon AFS lenses to be used on Canon bodies. AFS lenses are normally unusable, except at full aperture, due to the lack of an aperture ring. I believe the adaptor effectively incorporates an aperture ring and connections to the aperture lever.

Thanks for posting - I had not heard of this till now. Good to know that adapters are becoming more advanced, and there are more options available.

As you may know, and I think it's worth posing here again for the benefit of those that do not know, there are also adapters available that have chips built into them, which connect to the electrical contacts on the body so that the focus confirmation feature will work with the lens. The chips can also be bought separately and used to upgrade an existing adapter you might have.

I suspect Nikon are not pleased with this, as it allows landscape photographers to use the new Nikon 14-24 F2.8 lens on Canon cameras, hence removing a reason to buy a Nikon camera.

I doubt that they would be more upset than Canon, since it's lenses where the real money is made. Bodies are cheap in comparison, with the obvious exception of the full-pro bodies.

BTW I think it's worth noting that in many cases pre-digital era Nikkor lenses actually work better and produce better results on Canon bodies than they do on Nikon DSLRs (at least in my experience). I have not tried any of the new Nikon cameras, so perhaps this may not be the case with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back