• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It's possible to use the optic zoom of phones? (1 Viewer)

Kaskarria

Spain
Im planing to buy some good camera phone like pixel 6/6 pro or s21 ultra for digiscoping. If i buy the pro version of the pixel or s21 ultra, can i will use the teleobjetive lenses in the scope or it cant focus because the near the lens of the scope is?

In theory, you can use both your scope and your phone to zoom. However, both the Google Pixel 6 Pro and the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra use more than one rear camera. When you increase the zoom on the phone, the phone may change to a different camera and you must align your smartphone to the scope again.

For the Pixel 6 Pro, at 1x-4x the main camera is used, with digital zoom. At 4x the phone switches to the 4x camera.

For the S21 Ultra, at 1-3x the main camera is used with digital zoom. At 3x and 10x, the phone changes to the 3x and 10x cameras.

I think this is a no-win situation:
1. If digital zoom is being used you have no improvement in picture quality; and
2. If the phone changes the camera you need to realign the phone and scope, losing time and probably the photo too.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 9. It has a 2x camera, but I never use it. I found that almost all the time, when I activate 2x in the camera, it is still using the main camera with digital zoom. And when I force it to use the optical 2x camera, the image quality is poor! So when digiscoping I only use the main camera (1x) and use the scope to zoom (20-60x).

Im planing to buy some good camera phone like pixel 6/6 pro or s21 ultra for digiscoping. If i buy the pro version of the pixel or s21 ultra, can i will use the teleobjetive lenses in the scope or it cant focus because the near the lens of the scope is?
By using a 3rd party camera app , there are several, you can set the lens selection and the phone will not change lenses. I am using several 3rd party camera apps , ie, Moment, Pro Cam 8 , Light room mobile etc. The Moment is my favorite at the time. By using a dedicated adapter you also limit the phone to using just the lens you have your ada bit apter over. On my iPhone 13 Pro the 3x provides a clean full frame image where as the 1x has some vignetting unless you adjust the zoom .

Does anyone in the meantime has found a solution for Android phones?
I think the problem is that the Telephoto lens has a smaller aperture than the regular lens so when u use the telephoto lens on your scope there is to little light coming onto the sensor so the phone automatically switches back to the main lens with digital zoom, because it needs less ISO.
But when you use 3x zoom (S21 FE) and you use the main lens it wants to use the telephoto lens. You it constantly switches between both lensen making phonescoping useless.

Open Camera can allow you to select specific cameras, it all depends on the phone hardware.

As a app it does try to do everything so can be a learning curve.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back