• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (2 Viewers)

He definetly believes the species still exists so why wasnt he invited onto the expedition. I so badly wanted to ask him that.

Is it fair to say that the video footage is inconclusive? I mean he is one of the worlds leading experts on the species but how many has he actually seen alive and in the field? There isnt anyone left alive who can confidently say that they are an expert at identifying them IN THE FIELD. I just thought it was sad that he dismissed the video evidence so casually. There was a collective groan when he stated it was a Pileated. I cant tell you how many times Ive watched the video and its almost impossible to tell, or is it. Ive watched it frame by frame but the images are so blurred. Well like I say I hope more evidence is found.

The methods of science are clear. Scientific progress is made on the basis of data that are unequivocal to other scientists. Did I see an Ivory-billed Woodpecker along the Noxubee River in Mississippi in 1973? Did I hear an Ivory-billed Woodpecker near Vicksburg in 1987? Were those Ivory-bills I heard and saw in Cuba in 1988? Did David Kulivan see Ivory-billed Woodpeckers in the Pearl River swamp in 1999? Did Ivory-billed Woodpeckers make the loud "bams" heard by searchers there? Did Ivory-bills scale the trees that the team photographed? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

We all think we know what we saw or heard, but science does not advance by undocumented observation, speculation, or opinion polls. It advances by hard facts. Like Fox Mulder, the FBI agent in the popular television series The X-Files, we may know we are right, but the final critical evidence just doesn't seem to fall into place. Tantalizing bits of evidence appear again and again. So Mulder keeps trying. And we keep trying. We know, as the words flash across the television screen at the beginning of X-Files episodes -- "The truth is out there."

Dr. Jerome Jackson quoted in Birder's World

Absolutely people should look for them in the Florida panhandle, the Apalachicola floodplain is a prime area, and looking at aerial photos there are large areas of continuous forest along the Ocklockonee near Bradwell Bay.

As for Jackson, he worked hard for many years to follow up on ivory-bill reports when few others were willing to. It is arduous work. But, in my opinion, he spread himself too thin rather than focusing his efforts on particular areas. Reading his book, published just last year, it is clear that he didn't even know who "the Chief" was. Thirty years have been wasted failing to follow up Fielding Lewis's sightings, and now we get reports that locals see ivory-bills in that area on an annual basis. It is very apparent to me that ivory-bills today have very little in common behaviorally with Tanner's birds. They are stunningly quiet, even at breeding time, and very wary. We have seen how the legendary Sapsuckers failed to get a look at Elvis in early 2004. If a team of crack birders didn't manage a single look at an ivory-bill at Bayou DeView, what chance would one or two ornithologists making a couple of visits to an area have? To document ivory-bills will take concerted efforts in specific areas and considerable ingenuity. There is too much focus on getting a better picture of an ivory-bill. The issue of the species' existence is settled as far as USFWS, the CLO, the Nature Conservancy, etc., etc., etc. are concerned. As far as I can tell, it was already pretty much settled in Jerome Jackson's mind too, long before Elvis was seen. He is the one who said, "The truth is out there." I hardly think he means, "The truth that the ivory-bill is extinct is out there." What we need now are data, data, and more data. Data on tree scaling and excavation, data on roost and nest holes, data on distribution and abundance of beetle larvae. It is not glamorous, it is not very exciting, it is a lot of slogging and paddling through muckity muck. But it is going to be very necessary.

Last edited:
I long ago excused myself from the "debate for the existence" thread, and I don't want to start that up here. But, yes, I think most of us who've seen the video only on the web or on David Luneau's DVD have room for doubt. But the Cornell team has performed some data analysis of the video, and they seem satisfied. That doesn't mean they're right, of course, but it does mean that there's more there than just the distant bird we see in the video.

As to Jackson's exclusion from the discovery team: you need to read The Grail Bird and to read Erickson's blog to get a better sense of that. Jackson is barely mentioned in the book, and you come away with the sense that the desire to keep the news under wraps, so as to get their ducks lined up (so to speak) before making an announcement, led to it being a Cornell operation. It almost seems to not have occurred to anyone that Jackson should be brought into the project. Also, read Erickson's account in her blog of John Fitzpatrick's presentation at the AOU meeting on the evening of Aug 25. Fitzpatrick publicly apologized that "certain people" were not informed of the rediscovery before the Apr 28 press conference, but he (apparently) gave no sense that he was apologizing for Jackson's exclusion from rediscovery team back in 2004.

Last edited:
fangsheath said:
There is too much focus on getting a better picture of an ivory-bill.

I think the pictures will come as a byproduct of other research. Someone will be studying a nest hole or bark-scaling and have a camera at hand at the right moment.

It's unfortunate that Jackson is in the position he is, but we, the speculating public, cannot know all of the reasons why he has not taken part in the Cornell search. There are just too many possibilities. Because of this, there are bad feelings and consequently all kinds of negative press.

What we need to focus on is that the IBW was rediscoverd and is still on brink of extinction. We need our officials to put aside all the bickering and get down to work now that fall has arrived.

The public should also get out and start checking promising areas all over the southeast. That is the only way we'll find more IBWs and in turn, help them by protecting the habitat.

From a birder to other birders: be nice to our fellow hunters out there and they'll return the favor. We all need to cooperate this fall.

The Jackson question...

The exclusion of Jackson in the original search has been a frequent question (whisper???) among IBWO enthusiasts since last April. One can speculate about the possible egos, personalities, jealousies, turf battles and the like that may have played a role in that circumstance (and even current circumstances), but I'll throw out a more practical thought that just might also have weighed in:
Jackson has been by far the most prominent, forceful academic promoter of the IBWO for the last 25+ years, and has probably lost some credibility because of it in some quarters -- Cornell may have realized that if Jackson were part of a team making such an announcement, it would actually LESSEN the credibility of the finding to certain folks out there who would say that's just a wishful Jackson being overly optimistic again. In a sense, the IBWO needs to be found by someone who is either skeptical or at least not as prominent as Jackson to be taken seriously in some circles. Sad but true.

Limeybirder said:
he did say that there is going to be a press release soon regarding some sound recordings, he blew it off without giving any reasons

Are you able to give any clarification of Jackson's remarks in this regard? Did he indicate there would be more audio from the CLO or someone else?

Another good N Florida area that has produced sightings is Eglin AFB. Very nice area, long overlooked by many.

fangsheath said:
Are you able to give any clarification of Jackson's remarks in this regard? Did he indicate there would be more audio from the CLO or someone else?

Another good N Florida area that has produced sightings is Eglin AFB. Very nice area, long overlooked by many.

He said something about the recordings being made 100 miles away from where the sightings occurred. The way he explained it seemed odd. As for his fixation on the X Files...........I agree with several comments regarding the need for a large collective, co-operative force of minds, resources, skill and tromping thru swamps is needed rather than pHD posturing and the like. We need to act like the Borg not Fox Mulder and co! :brains: :gn:

Limeybirder said:
why wasnt he invited onto the expedition. I so badly wanted to ask him that.
Why should Jackson have been invited to participate? The Cornell group found the bird. So it was their baby. Why should they share the glory? That's not how scientific research is done. When someone makes a new discovery, they aren't expected to give up the farm and invite other experts to hop on board. In some cases they do, but there are many reasons for deciding one way or another. I personally wish Jackson had been involved, but there was nothing wrong with the Cornell group doing it the way they chose.

cinclodes said:
Why should Jackson have been invited to participate? The Cornell group found the bird. So it was their baby. Why should they share the glory? That's not how scientific research is done. When someone makes a new discovery, they aren't expected to give up the farm and invite other experts to hop on board. In some cases they do, but there are many reasons for deciding one way or another. I personally wish Jackson had been involved, but there was nothing wrong with the Cornell group doing it the way they chose.

I wasnt implying HE SHOULD'VE been invited cincoldes I was just merely interested to know why he thought he hadnt been. Like I say though seems like ornithologists at that level are too concerned about their own ego's and reputation than they are about furthering our knowledge. They should be working together in ALL capacities and helping to pull in more resources. If they are going to get more evidence that the species still exists then its gonna take more than a few blokes from Cornell to do it. (o)<

Limeybirder said:
If they are going to get more evidence that the species still exists then its gonna take more than a few blokes from Cornell to do it.
They don't need additional evidence that the species exists. The right people are already convinced, and the area is being protected. It won't make any difference if there remain a few skeptics. What is most important in my opinion is to determine other areas where ivory-bills exist so that those areas will also be protected. I will be searching the Pearl River area (many of us already know that ivory-bills exist there).

Ivory-billed Woodpecker Sighting - Pine Bluff

Curtis Croulet said:
I expect the trees will have to lose their leaves before we get any new sightings, certainly before we get those killer photos and redundant sightings of well-seen birds that everyone wants.

I saw an IBWO at a park along a bayou in Pine Bluff, AR, on July 28. I was birding at the time. I thought it was a Pileated Woodpecker at first, but when I looked through my binoculars as it flew over, the entire rear half of the underwing was white. It was about a 15-20 second sighting, so I did not notice a white bill or any crest. In the next few days, I found peeled bark on about 8 to 10 trees in the area. I think that IBWOs travel more far and wide from the Cache/White River system than Cornell expected. (IBWO is the abbreviation based on bird-bander's naming system, rather than IBWP, although the latter is more intuitive.) I have been disappointed in how parochial Cornell's handling of this rediscovery has been. My objective opinion is that they hope to improve the reputation of their Laboratory of Ornithology, but have not been forthcoming about other subsequent sightings outside their influence. I believe Wanda Ellis' story completely.
When I heard a presentation on National Public Radio a few weeks ago, mentioning that the room full of ornithologists at Cornell, who they admitted had never seen an IBWO, was trying to decide if the recordings by Cornell were from a Blue Jay or an IBWO, I was disgusted. I had immediately reported my sighting to Cornell in an area distant from their sightings - an exciting event - and they were gabbing about the significance of possible recordings. They e-mailed me through a public relations person that my report was very accurate, but they have not mentioned it publicly or contacted me with questions. Disappointing & self-serving. I have heard of two other recent IBWO sightings in Arkansas within about 25 miles of mine. Bill Ellis (not related to Wanda!)

cinclodes said:
Why should Jackson have been invited to participate?

1. Professional courtesy.
2. Enhanced credibility with the wider ornithological community through his endorsement. Maybe they were afraid he wouldn't give it!
3. Preventing the distractions of professional jealosies and publicly exposed hard feelings.

Dear Bill:
Welcome to the world of modern professionalism in the birding community. I am amazed at the fact that for years many people like yourself that have seen the bird are "blown off" without much consideration.
Just remember that the experts ignored Mason in Louisianna, and he had to shoot one to get them to even listen to him.
I don't know what to make of Ms. Ellis' comments, but you have to realize that for many of these people this is less about learning then about personal prestige and glory. After all, these are professional bird watchers. How many will ever have a chance to do something that places them in the public eye? Few, if any. My thought is that for those of us who are interested in maintenance of the species and actually learning about it for the sake of improving the pitifully lacking state of knowledge about this bird we may do better to not send money to Cornell, but to merely do our own work and share it in a public manner. I guess I am saying leave out the personalities and publicity seekers, and focus on the issue at hand.
Is it frustrating that some people are apparently unwilling to make this more of a collaberative effort? Sure. However, they also have additional considerations of: 1. Avoiding a public stampede to see (or worse - shoot) the last IBW; 2. Potential habitat destruction ; 3. Habitat acquisition at actual market prices, not inflated prices; 4. Scaring the bird away or interfering with breeding; the list goes on. Having said that none of the foregoing allow for intentional misrepresentation and/ or being rude to others.
Jesse

New Ivory-billed Woodpecker Stamps + Prints Released!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

MEDIA CONTACT:
Larry Grisham, Publisher 800-232-2409
(Jonesboro, Arkansas)

Larry Chandler, Artist 877-522-7376
(Hartselle, Alabama)

WOODPECKER STAMPS, PRINTS NOW ON SALE

Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamps and Prints to raise funds for recently rediscovered rare bird released for sale to public and art dealers

JONESBORO, ARKANSAS, Sep. 30, 2005 -/E-Wire/-- New conservation stamps and limited edition prints to raise much-needed funds to save the recently rediscovered Ivory-billed Woodpecker have gone on sale. Patterned after the highly-successful Federal Duck Stamp (required since 1934 for all U.S. waterfowl hunters age 16 and up) and Arkansas Duck Stamp Prints, the design came from the original oil painting "Elusive Ivory" by wildlife artist Larry Chandler of Hartselle, Alabama.

The Ivory-billed Woodpecker made headlines worldwide after a press conference on its rediscovery April 28, 2005 at the U.S. Department of the Interior Auditorium in Washington, D.C. The last confirmed sighting of the bird, before the one in Eastern Arkansas in February 2004, is from the 1944, almost 60 years earlier. There is no doubt it's the rarest bird in all of North America.

Most ornithologists who were skeptical after seeing the original scientific evidence presented, including a short and fuzzy video of the bird in flight, were convinced it exists after hearing new audio released to the public at the American Ornithologists Union meeting August 24, 2005. This new audio evidence captured the bird's unique "Kent" calls, which were documented in 1935.

The price range for all items offered by the Official Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program starts at $9.00 for a Cloisonne collector pin and go up to $315.00 for the special Search Team Edition print hand-signed by the artist and all 4 members of a search team who first observed the bird along the Cache River in what's called the Big Woods area of Eastern Arkansas.

Proceeds from the sale of conservation stamps and prints will be evenly divided between The Cornell Lab of Ornithology, The Nature Conservancy and the Arkansas Game and Fish Foundation.

The most popular item is expected to be the $15.00 Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp, as this rare bird species has never before appeared on any postage stamp in the United States. Interestingly, the Ivory-billed Woodpecker has been featured on a postage stamp 4 times in Cuba, since that was once the best place to see the bird (Campephilus Principalis) in North America.

Because stamp collecting is considered to be among most popular hobbies all across the globe, publisher Larry Grisham said "I expect we could sell over 200,000 of these stamps, which would raise well over a million dollars to help protect this gravely endangered woodpecker species."

There is also a Governor's Edition print which will be hand-signed by the artist and Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee and will also include the Official Arkansas State Seal. This edition is limited to only 500 prints and sells for $265.00, including a mint unsigned Ivory-bill stamp.

For birders, as bird watchers often call themselves, the Ivory-billed Woodpecker is at the top of their life list as THE most difficult bird species to view at least once in their lifetime. Because most ornithologists considered it extinct for many years, pictures of Ivory-bills began to be removed from bird watching guide books. Sporadic unconfirmed sightings by amateur birders were discarded under an assumption they were observing the similar-looking Pileated Woodpecker. Eventually, reports of living Ivory-bills became considered as unreliable as Bigfoot sightings.

Many of the estimated 70 million bird watchers in the United States will want to visit Arkansas to see the bird. But, thanks to the Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program, they can see one on their wall without leaving home and their purchase will help to ensure this rare bird will survive. The stamp print will be the perfect holiday gift for birders this year.

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology is the nation's most-respected rare bird research organization and provided the funding to acquire most of the current evidence. The new audio evidence was recorded by 24 Autonomous Recording Units (ARUs) installed 153 times, for 2-4 weeks at a time, in two main areas near the White River and Cache River National Wildlife Refuges in Arkansas.

The Nature Conservancy is America's foremost conservation organization focusing on purchasing land in the United States that is critical for wildlife habitat. The non-profit group bought thousands of acres of nearby land before word of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker's rediscovery got out to the press. They plan to buy more adjacent land with their share of stamp/print proceeds.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Foundation is the non-profit arm of the state wildlife department in Arkansas which is called the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. They plan to use their portion of the proceeds for public education, which will be needed for long-term protection of the bird.

Wildlife artist Larry Chandler learned about the bird from his long-time friend Bobby Harrison, who along with Tim Gallagher, made the first confirmed sighting of the bird in almost 60 years. It was Harrison, Associate Professor at Oakwood College in Huntsville, Alabama, who told him he needed to do a painting of the bird. After being sworn to secrecy, "I had to be the hands of the eyes that had seen the vision", Chandler said. His design captured the grace of this bird.

The great thing about this Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program is, rather than just making a tax-deductible contribution, people who buy the conservation stamp or print will get something back for their contribution. The print is proof you did something tangible to help this bird's cause and further, it makes a lovely addition to your home or office decor.

The limited edition prints are expected to become more valuable in the future on the secondary market, which is another incentive. For example, all of the earliest Federal and First of State Duck Stamp Prints, originally selling from $15 to $125 each, are now worth thousands of dollars.

For more information on the Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program, visit the web site for it at www.ivory-bill-woodpecker.com. It offers news, photos, video and much more.

---

Associated Press national wire story about stamp from August 13 is attached.

Attachments

• ap-wire-story2.jpg
    ap-wire-story2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 101
Bill Ellis said:
I saw an IBWO at a park along a bayou in Pine Bluff, AR, on July 28. I was birding at the time. I thought it was a Pileated Woodpecker at first, but when I looked through my binoculars as it flew over, the entire rear half of the underwing was white. It was about a 15-20 second sighting, so I did not notice a white bill or any crest. In the next few days, I found peeled bark on about 8 to 10 trees in the area. I think that IBWOs travel more far and wide from the Cache/White River system than Cornell expected. (IBWO is the abbreviation based on bird-bander's naming system, rather than IBWP, although the latter is more intuitive.) I have been disappointed in how parochial Cornell's handling of this rediscovery has been. My objective opinion is that they hope to improve the reputation of their Laboratory of Ornithology, but have not been forthcoming about other subsequent sightings outside their influence. I believe Wanda Ellis' story completely.
When I heard a presentation on National Public Radio a few weeks ago, mentioning that the room full of ornithologists at Cornell, who they admitted had never seen an IBWO, was trying to decide if the recordings by Cornell were from a Blue Jay or an IBWO, I was disgusted. I had immediately reported my sighting to Cornell in an area distant from their sightings - an exciting event - and they were gabbing about the significance of possible recordings. They e-mailed me through a public relations person that my report was very accurate, but they have not mentioned it publicly or contacted me with questions. Disappointing & self-serving. I have heard of two other recent IBWO sightings in Arkansas within about 25 miles of mine. Bill Ellis (not related to Wanda!)

Bill,

That is some thrilling news about your 7/28 sighting. I believe both you and
Wanda saw an IBWO.

Other than the white on the rear portion of the wings, was there anything else about the bird that made it stand out from a pileated? Was it larger than the typical pileated? What was the flight pattern like? Have you heard any sounds in your trips that made you think IBWOs?

IBWO Field Marks Seen

gws said:
Bill,

That is some thrilling news about your 7/28 sighting. I believe both you and
Wanda saw an IBWO.

Other than the white on the rear portion of the wings, was there anything else about the bird that made it stand out from a pileated? Was it larger than the typical pileated? What was the flight pattern like? Have you heard any sounds in your trips that made you think IBWOs?

gws:
The bird was flying above the trees, and I could not estimate distance or size very well - just large. It flew perfectly straight, unlike a PIWO, and wing-flapping speed was about as fast as a Turkey Vulture, and not as fast as a Black Vulture (2 birds that I sometimes differentiate by flap rate).
I have heard no sounds attributable to an IBWO.

IBWO Conservation Stamp

Gamecock said:
... ...
WOODPECKER STAMPS, PRINTS NOW ON SALE

Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamps and Prints to raise funds for recently rediscovered rare bird released for sale to public and art dealers

JONESBORO, ARKANSAS, Sep. 30, 2005 -/E-Wire/-- New conservation stamps and limited edition prints to raise much-needed funds to save the recently rediscovered Ivory-billed Woodpecker have gone on sale. ... ...

The new Ivory-billed Woodpecker stamp by Larry Chandler is gorgeous. As a collector of birds on stamps, I will be sure to buy one. I am aware, though, that it will have an appeal to a subset of stamp collectors. It is not a postage stamp, like those issued by Cuba. It is not a revenue stamp, like the duck or wildfowl stamps issued by the Federal or State governments as hunting permits. It is in the class of stamps that collectors call "cinderellas" - collectible stamp-like items that have no official mail or revenue role. Of course, its beauty and purpose will assure an interest beyond just stamp collectors.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back