• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (9 Viewers)

the idea that you have to be a great photographer to photo a Campephilus is a joke.

find it, tape it in. Bingo.

As for its status - well, in the absence of any birds... even Fitzcrow is heading towards the inevitable these days... that long lost wandering male... (no mention of its parents mind)

laters dudes

Tim

pcoin said:
...To propose that they [IBWO] suddenly developed supernatural shyness in the 20th century seems ludicrous to me...

Here, in the UK, there has been (it seems to me) a quite amazing change in the Wood Pigeon's Columba palumbas personality.

He used to be a fairly retiring unobtrusive denizen of more rural areas.

Now, he's practically an extrovert: waddling in my garden scoffing peanuts, dodging inner city traffic (and, quite often, failing), and generally getting in the way!

Nothing scientific - just a general feeling.

Maybe related to changes in agricultural practices on our crowded island.

Thought I'd lob it in for consideration on the species-changing-personality debate.

cyberthrush said:
Pat offers a lot here for discussion/debate but I'll just stick to the one point he makes above (I tire of all the back-and-forths that can go on forever and won't change anyone's minds at this point). But as to shyness: I find nothing 'supernatural' about it; quite in line with evolutionary pressures really -- IBWOs in the 19th century may not have been significantly shy at a time when humans frequented their habitat in much greater numbers (although I think it worth saying that the vast majority of wild bird species in general ARE wary of humans, it's just a matter of degree). It doesn't take a great leap to imagine that as humans proceeded to hunt this creature and destroy its habitat individuals remaining became increasingly shy/wary -- indeed only the 'wariest' surviving in many cases (and maybe birds in one geographic region, say Fla., became wary faster than those in another region, say La.). Carry that forward 60-100 years and how wary would any remaining birds be? I think possibly, VERRRRRY. Is this speculative (like most things about IBWO behavior); of course, but I think it easily fits what we know of basic animal adaptation and survival of the "fittest".

yeah,

and maybe every extinct animal that therefore can't be found is actually extant but very very wary.

or not.

where would that leave conservation biology? And Red Data Books?

reminds me of the great Chris Morris sketch where he set up 'Doctor' Fox. That's a scientific fact! There's no real evidence for it - but it is a scientific fact!

Tim

This is great news, Carolina Parakeet, Bachman's Warbler, Great Auk, Labrador Duck, Passenger Pigeon are still with us. They are just hiding, presumably with Lord Lucan and Shergar.

Tim Allwood said:
yeah,

and maybe every extinct animal that therefore can't be found is actually extant but very very wary.

or not.

where would that leave conservation biology? And Red Data Books?

reminds me of the great Chris Morris sketch where he set up 'Doctor' Fox. That's a scientific fact! There's no real evidence for it - but it is a scientific fact!

Tim

I think they might all be addicted to 'Cake'....and it's caused them to cry all the moisture out of their bodies.....

Limits to wariness--and, the danger

cyberthrush said:
... It doesn't take a great leap to imagine that as humans proceeded to hunt this creature and destroy its habitat individuals remaining became increasingly shy/wary -- indeed only the 'wariest' surviving in many cases (and maybe birds in one geographic region, say Fla., became wary faster than those in another region, say La.). Carry that forward 60-100 years and how wary would any remaining birds be? I think possibly, VERRRRRY. Is this speculative (like most things about IBWO behavior); of course, but I think it easily fits what we know of basic animal adaptation and survival of the "fittest".
Evolution has its limits, because any inherited character, such as a tendency towards wariness, has its evolutionary downside. A bird that is too wary will spend all its time fleeing from perceived threats, and not be able to obtain food or defend a territory, thus it will not pass on its genes. Likewise with the idea that IBWO became very quiet--those that became too quiet would never attract a mate, and not pass on their genes.

One sees this all the time with game birds. I found Woodcock in Minnesota (no, I do not know Tom Nelson) to be extremely wary, holding still until just the moment my eyes locked on them--they then exploded off into the woods. Likewise waterfowl in areas that are hunted. I've noticed the local Mourning Doves here in NC (where I work, near gamelands) get very flighty during dove season--they explode and fly away at the slightest provocation. However, in all cases, the birds flush at a reasonable distance(50-100 feet), and fly a reasonable distance away (100 feet or so). They don't expend any more energy than they need to in order to keep out of gun range. Now there are limits to their perceptions--hunters know this, that's why they sit in blinds, wear camouflage, and are otherwise stealthy. Doing this, they can often get their prey. Likewise, I feel all those stealthy searchers from Cornell should have been able to get close to IBWO in Arkansas. Likewise with the Auburn group in Florida. And by "get their prey", I mean get an identifiable photograph. The failure to do so in multiple encounters is, to me, very damning. (See my post Autofocus ate my Ivory-bill.)

Extending your argument, I'd have to say that full-scale searches should start for ultra-wary Carolina Parakeets (especially--perhaps still extant in the 1930's), Labrador Ducks, and Great Auks. For that matter, Passenger Pigeons were hunted absolutely mercilessly--perhaps they now breed solo and keep to the woods. Why not--the last documented wild Passenger Pigeon was shot in Ohio in 1900 (Cokinos, Hope is the Thing with Feathers). That's only 107 years. Cokinos mentions a possible sighting of a flock of PP's about 1910--now we are just talking 97 years. They could easily be mistaken for Mourning Doves or Rock Doves if people were not looking for them. A very similar case could be made for the Carolina Parakeet--parrots are very good at hiding in foliage, and though neotropical parrots are noisy (like neotropical Campephilus), maybe they've evolved near-silence. Such a "stealth" Carolina Parakeet, living in remote bottomland swamps, could escape detection for generations.

I feel there is a real danger in this sort of reasoning--it implies that bird species have an infinite ability to adapt to human persecution and habitat destruction, and it is a short hop from there to "we don't need to worry, nature will take care of itself through survival of the fittest". The Great Auk, Labrador Duck, Heath Hen, Carolina Parakeet, Eskimo Curlew, and yes, I'm afraid, the Ivory-billed Woodpecker have shown us the folly of that approach. There are limits to adaptation, and if we care about biodiversity conservation, we need to recognize this.

Soon I'm going to sit down and write a post entitled "Why I am a pro-conservation, liberal Ivory-billed Skeptic" in more detail, but I'm sure you get the idea, though I'm sure you won't agree.

See you soon, I hope, CT!

pcoin - thanks for taking the time to express, extremely elegantly, the thoughts that were going through my head, but I coudn't summon up the energy to post!

Good photographers are out there already

Jane Turner said:
I do feel compelled to ask why the heck not, it would seem like a pretty sensible thing to get good photographers in there, in much the same way that it makes sense to get serious birders in there.
The Cornell team has fielded exellent photographers all along. Look at the photos from the Mobile Search Team (and see links at bottom to previous months). Martjan Lammertink and Nathan Banfield, in particular, has taken, and posted, great photos of all sorts of shy, flighty birds, like Hermit Thrushes, Orange-crowned Warblers, Red-shouldered Hawks (Chris McCafferty). Also, they have good photos of Otter (very shy, in my experience) and a map turtle basking on a log. They've got, of course, many excellent photos of Pileateds, including good ones of near albinos from White River NWR.

There's no lack of photographic skill on the Cornell team, at least. What there is a lack of is a photo of anything recognizable as an Ivory-bill.

I don't know about the Auburn team--they certainly have cameras.

Again, a lot of people have "just missed" that million-dollar Ivory-bill photograph--not just Tyler Hicks, see my post Autofocus ate my Ivory-bill. At a certain point, one might begin to wonder.

I, for one, have begun to feel like Charlie Brown running up to kick the football--an idea I stole from this post. Each new claim has me running up, but then, oops, thud!

A population of Ivory-billed Woodpeckers that flee from people in the woods would actually have resulted in MORE sightings during the Arkansas field seasons. They had people working different areas simultaneoulsy. One could assume that if the birds flee from me they would be likely to be seen by my fellow searchers somewhere else. The Choctawhatchee is still full of hunters/fishers and recreational boaters. Why aren't the birds fleeing from them and being sighted by the searchers. A flying bird is much easier to find than one that sits still for a significant portion of its day.

Why sightings of IBWO and not Passenger Pigeon, etc.

pcoin said:
...Extending your argument, I'd have to say that full-scale searches should start for ultra-wary Carolina Parakeets (especially--perhaps still extant in the 1930's), Labrador Ducks, and Great Auks. For that matter, Passenger Pigeons were hunted absolutely mercilessly--perhaps they now breed solo and keep to the woods. Why not--the last documented wild Passenger Pigeon was shot in Ohio in 1900 (Cokinos, Hope is the Thing with Feathers). That's only 107 years. Cokinos mentions a possible sighting of a flock of PP's about 1910--now we are just talking 97 years. They could easily be mistaken for Mourning Doves or Rock Doves if people were not looking for them. A very similar case could be made for the Carolina Parakeet--parrots are very good at hiding in foliage, and though neotropical parrots are noisy (like neotropical Campephilus), maybe they've evolved near-silence. Such a "stealth" Carolina Parakeet, living in remote bottomland swamps, could escape detection for generations.

But of course, everyone will say "there have been all those credible reports of IBWO since the 1940's, but none of the Passenger Pigeon et al."

So I'm going to respond to myself. Cyberthrush and I had this discussion--see this post. My basic argument is that (some at least) people see IBWO because they are still pictured in the field guides while the Passenger Pigeon et al. are not. Being middle-aged, I have some field guides going back to the 50's. Most importantly, the first edition (1966) of Robbins' Birds of North America features the IBWO in a color plate right with the other woodpeckers. The Passenger Pigeon, Carolina Parkeet, etc. are not illustrated. Robbins' work was very popular then, and even now. (I like the art very much, plus the sonagrams.) I remember seeing it for sale in gas stations in the 1960's. Interestingly, Peterson's guide current at that time did not have a color plate of the IBWO. The edition from the 1980's added it, along with thumbnails of the (known-to-be) extinct species, such as Passenger Pigeon, and those were labeled as extinct, but not the IBWO.

Of course, there were reports by people before Robbins' guide was published, But I think some of the IBWO reports over the years have been due to enthusiastic, but inexperienced, beginners. That they have never reported Passenger Pigeons or Carolina Parakeets is due, I think, to the absence of those species from the field guides.

Note that Pough's Audubon Land Bird Guide, and Audubon Water Bird Guide, published 1946-1951, and reprinted to at least the 1980's, did illustrate the Pass. Pigeon, Parakeet, and IBWO. Those, however, were not nearly as popular as Robbins' guide.

pcoin said:
Yes, thanks CT! A couple of interesting points about IBWO field marks and biology may be evident in the photos. There are so few photos of the species, any new ones are of interest. Here are some of my impressions. (I'm a pretty good birder, and a good photographer, for what that's worth.)

First photo (the one from the Moa area in 1956 by George Lamb):
1-The bird is in a pine forest. I have read in several other places some interesting statements about how pine forest may have been more important than is generally appreciated for the IBWO in the United States (Cyberthrush, for example, and apparently a hypothesis of the ornithologist Lester Short). Both the Cuban IBWO (perhaps a different species) and the Imperial Woodpecker lived in pines. Reading, recently, Lawrence Earley's Looking for Longleaf, I am impressed how extensive, and full of large trees, the southeastern Longleaf forests were. The range of the IBWO and the Longleaf largely overlapped, and in Florida the similar Slash Pine (Pinus elliottii) was present. The Ivory-bill could have hardly avoided these pine forests, and the severe decline of the IBWO (catastrophic in the 1880's, apparently) does correlate with the decline of the Longleafs. Reading accounts of the Singer Tract birds, one wonders if their decline could have been due to the failure to protect surrounding pine forests, if any. (I believe the birds declined or left mostly before their breeding areas were logged.) Tanner concentrated on the bottomland sites, but perhaps the birds were foraging in pines.

2-The pines at the Moa site were not that large. Of course, Lamb found no breeding there--perhaps it was not optimal habitat.

3-Lamb got close enough with as standard lens (no telephoto according to Gallagher's account) to get an identifiable photo. Looking at the full-size photo, if that is nearly the full frame, I'd say he was within 100 feet (30 meters), maybe closer. The bird was not that shy--it certainly did not fly for miles on sighting a human, and I imagine Lamb was not wearing a Ghillie suit!

3b-The bird in Lamb's distant photo is easily identifiable as an IBWO, both due to the white wing patches and the white stripe on the back extending up the neck. This is visible even on the highly-enlarged, grainy photo, made with 1950's optcial technology by an amateur photographer. The white bill is not visible.

The second photo, from circa 1941, is interesting for much the same reasons:

4-The bird is roosting, or nesting, in a dead pine tree. It is not that large of a tree, either. (Of course, the Cuban population was almost gone then, so it may have been in poor habitat.)

5-The bird appears to have allowed a very close approach. Although there is no information available about the camera, the photo is not highly enlarged--I don't see any sign of graininess. (Compare the enlarged photo by Lamb, which is very grainy.) It is unlikely the photographer had a telephoto, because these were not common except among professional photographers at that time. If this was taken with a standard lens, the photographer was very close indeed. The angle of the photo also indicates the photographer was looking up at quite an angle--that he might have been almost at the base of the tree.

6-That photo shows the field marks of the Ivory-bill very well: white wing-patches, white stripe on back and neck, and white bill.

Some conclusions:
I-Ivory-bills may have depended a lot more on upland pine forests than most realize today. Efforts to "restore habitat" for this bird seem to be focusing on bottomland hardwood swamps. Such efforts may be ineffective, even if the IBWO still exists.

II-The Cuban Ivory-bills were not particularly wary, matching, I feel, the historical accounts of North American birds--wary when persecuted, not overly wary when not molested. (See notes below)

III-Even photographs made with consumer-grade equipment from the 1940's and 1950's show the field marks of an IBWO at a distance. Compare the recent fuzzy images (Luneau, Harrison, et al.) put forward as evidence of the continued existence of the IBWO. The comparison is not flattering. Surely people could do better today with digital sensors and the excellent telephoto zooms now available on still and video cameras.

***More on tameness or not, of the IBWO***

James Tanner's accounts of the Singer tract birds indicate they were somewhat shy around the nest (see quotes of Nancy Tanner's statements in this forum), but could be approached fairly closely without camouflage in other situations. Tanner, The Ivory-billed Woodpecker, p. 63: "When I began following the birds to observe their behavior, they were at first shy and alert,..., and did not allow too close an approach. But they rapidly became used to a person and in a day or so would pay little or no attention to one a moderate distance away. I frequently stood almost directly under the tree in which they were feeding without disturbing them." On that same page, Tanner reports an account by Arthur Wayne that IBWO were very shy in an area where they had been collected intensively.

Likewise the artist Don Eckleberry found the lone Singer Tract IBWO present in 1944 to be quite approachable--he followed it for days, guided by a local man, Jesse Laird. I do not see in Eckleberry's account that either of them wore camo. (Search for the Rare Ivorybill. Terres, ed., Discovery--Great Moments in the Lives of Outstanding Naturalists, pp. 195-207. Lippincott, 1961.)

Historical accounts tell of the ability of artists and ornithologists to approach the birds for a good look and/or shot (usually both, the art following the shot, of course). See Cornell's page for a summary. Catesby saw them, Wilson saw them, and Audubon saw them many times. All, it seems, were able to get close enough to obtain specimens with 18th or 19th century firearms.

Cyberthrush tells us how Native American hunters were able to take IBWO with (presumably) bow-and-arrow, using the bills and plumage for ceremonial objects. See his interesting essay, The Iconic Ivory-bill. Native Americans were able to approach the birds closely enough for a bow-and-arrow kill, and had done so for centuries. Note that the birds were under hunting pressure from Native Americans for millenia. To propose that they suddenly developed supernatural shyness in the 20th century seems ludicrous to me. Don Hendershot's tongue-in-cheek hypothesis that recent sightings actually represent a previously undescribed species, Campephilus willowispis, makes more sense than that!

This is intersting pcoin, although there are a few things I don't quite agree with.

First I don't feel you can make any kind of meaningful comparisons between C. p. bairdii and C. p. pricipalis in terms of behaviour or habitat preferences. In fact a recent study suggests they aren't as closely related as first thought, and may in fact be distinct enough to be considered a seperate species. See link http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/latest/woodpeckerDNA/document_view

Furthermore there are many examples of closely related species that live in very different habitats and behave differently.

I also feel you are giving modern photography equipment more credit than it is due. Digital cameras do not make getting photos any easier, in fact the extra weight and sometimes unexpected lag time from all of the data processing make it harder, although if you do get lucky the resulting photo may have more true colours and if digital may be examined in more detail. The biggest factor is the person behind the camera.

Finally if the bird does still exist in the US you are likelly dealing with fewer birds (although this is nothing more than a guess) and in far more habitat. I try to imagine what the odds are of seeing one of very few apparently somewhat nomadic birds in the thousands and thousands of hectares of forest that they have been reported in. And then what are the odds of being prepared to fire off your camera after months of nothing if the bird only appears for an instant...

Cheers,

Russ

timeshadowed said:
To answer your question Ilya, please read my responses to Tom Nelson (AKA hgr389) starting about page 10 of this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=33968&page=10&pp=25

And continued in this thread:
Evidence for the Survival of the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=40201&page=1&pp=25

Also read what buck3m has to say as well.

Both of these posters have been intellectually dishonest in the way they have dealt with articles that they themselves have quoted from. They both have 'twisted' what has been written in those articles.

I've read through five pages on both forums, and although there are lots of differences of opinion, like Mike, I can't see any examples of intellectual dishonesty.

On wariness, does anyone know the average longevity of an Ivory-billed (or of other Campephilus)? It seems a little unlikely to have evolved to become wary in such a short space of time. I stand to be corrected on this if someone can find a relevant analogous species. Learned behaviour is another matter, but would IBWOs possess the phenotypic plasticity to modify their behaviour in such a way? Touche’s post about woodpigeons is interesting, but in my view not directly comparable. If the behavioural changes are due to evolutionary processes, these are much more likely to manifest themselves in a large population (with greater genetic diversity) with a relatively short life cycle. If it is phenotypic, then species must posses a high degree of phenotypic plasticity. Such plasticity is generally exhibited by widespread generalist species that can adapt readily to changing conditions. What little we know about the Ivory-billed woodpecker suggests that it isn’t really a widespread, adaptive, generalist species.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same Ilya - though very small and isolated populations are the ones most likely to see rapid evolutionary change (due to lack of dilution).

Jane Turner said:
I was thinking the same Ilya - though very small and isolated populations are the ones most likely to see rapid evolutionary change (due to lack of dilution).

Thanks - forgetting my evolutionary theory! That's right. Small populations can produce rapid changes in gene frequencies due to isolation, but are less likely to experience mutatations. Still think the time frame is too short for it to be evolutionary though. Also and importantly, frequency changes occur independent of selection pressures, so that wouldn't support the original hunting argument.

Last edited:
Ilya Maclean said:
...Small populations can produce rapid changes in gene frequencies due to isolation, but are less likely to experience mutatations. Still think the time frame is too short for it to be evolutionary though...

one last time: natural selection can operate on relatively short time-scales, and I'm not even talking about mutations here... NOT ALL individuals within a species are identical... wild animals are generally wary by nature; within the IBWO population 200 yrs. ago undoubtedly some birds were more wary than others; it is possible that human pressures in the 19th century caused the warier birds to have a selective advantage such that by the 1930s the relatively few birds left were carrying "wary" genes if you will (not by mutation, but by mere selection), and then of course their offspring ever since may be further selecting for the strength of that gene. In fact if we view it in reverse I think it's pretty obvious to say that IF the bird exists than surely it is very wary and very (relatively) scarce to account for the difficulty of detection. But going in the other direction we simply cannot presume to know how present-day birds behave based on a paucity of data from 60-100 yrs. ago. I wouldn't even try to predict with any certainty the behavior of robins, titmice, chickadees, or any other common-day bird based on 60-100 year old data of a handful of individuals, let alone an extremely rare bird not studied for 60+ yrs. Species are not little cloned automatons; they include tremendous individual variation that natural selection can play upon.
And this intense effort to get a photo of an IBWO is a relatively new 2-3 yr. phenomena; there hasn't been some continuous determined 60 yr. effort to photograph this bird as is sometimes implied.
There are some good arguments skeptics can put forth, but I don't think this focus on "wariness" and "no photograph" is one of them... I suspect DocMartin will put forth some of the better ones in his upcoming paper.
Finally, I'll just remind folks we're operating in a large vacuum of knowledge here. There is always much more going on in the field than we hear about. I probably get more info thru sources than most on this forum and I know there are huge gaps of information in what I hear. All of this cerebral debating won't make a bit of difference to what the actual searchers eventually do, or don't, find and conclude in the field... this season, next season, or 3 yrs. from now.

Jane Turner said:
Are we talking about TMGuys efforts here, or have I missed something. If not I think it a rather larger subsection of the population than hardcore skeptics who assume its fake.

I'm just pointing out (again) the circular logic of "No recent photos exist! All recent photos are fakes!"

Bonsaibirder said:
In a recent article in "Nature" it was demonstrated that Wikipedia is almost as accurate as the Encyclopedia Brittanica.

I would be interested to see what the EB says about the IBWO. I would imagine it is not as up-to-date as Wikipedia but probably more accurate – as a result of the phenomenon mentioned by Mike!

Cheers

I can't imagine any birder seriously defending an "encyclopedia" that shows the Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) as 7 - 9 cm. This is 1.5 cm smaller than any published data and would put the Ruby-throated as smaller than the Calliope Hummingbird and on a par with the Bumblebee Hummingbird.

Not to mention that there are published television broadcasts revealing that some of their "experts" claiming to have a PhD have dropped out of highschool and are nothing short of fakes.

Natural selection is not the only cause of change in a population. Many behaviors, bird song in particular, are culturally influenced. Moreover, we now know that there are epigenetic traits (independent of DNA base pair sequence) that can be passed on to subsequent generations. There's a lot we don't know yet and can only speculate on.

habitat, photography, finding birds at nests

Russ Jones said:
First I don't feel you can make any kind of meaningful comparisons between C. p. bairdii and C. p. pricipalis in terms of behaviour or habitat preferences. In fact a recent study suggests they aren't as closely related as first thought, and may in fact be distinct enough to be considered a seperate species. See link http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/latest/woodpeckerDNA/document_view

Furthermore there are many examples of closely related species that live in very different habitats and behave differently.
Yes, I agree that closely-related species often have different habitats. However, as Jackson says, in his article, that the Ivory-bill was originally a bird of the uplands. The uplands, before 1880, would have been largely Longleaf and Slash Pines--there was no avoiding them in the range of the Ivory-bill. Anyway, it is not my hypothesis, it was originally proposed by Lester Short.

Russ Jones said:
I also feel you are giving modern photography equipment more credit than it is due. Digital cameras do not make getting photos any easier, in fact the extra weight and sometimes unexpected lag time from all of the data processing make it harder, although if you do get lucky the resulting photo may have more true colours and if digital may be examined in more detail. The biggest factor is the person behind the camera.

I might agree with you on digital point-and-shoots, but a digital SLR such as a Canon or Nikon has fast auto-focus and good manual-focus capabilities--just as good as similar film SLR's. Tyler Hicks, for example, had a digital SLR--see this page. Both the Cornell and Auburn teams have posted pages of photos--they know how to use their cameras.

I've taken thousands of photos with a manual focus film SLR, and over 15,000 with a digital SLR. The digital has a huge advantage in speed--there is no down-time for changing film, and no down-time for processing--errors in exposure can be corrected immediately. On a 1 gigabyte card, now costing about $50, one can take 300 photos on a typical digital SLR--that is about 9 rolls of film, which means no losing valuable time while rewinding and loading 9 rolls. Digital SLR's are now cheap, less than $1,000 new, and older ones can be had on keh.com for $300 used. And if the Cornell and Auburn teams don't have good equipment, I'd have to ask what they are doing with all that grant money.

Russ Jones said:
Finally if the bird does still exist in the US you are likelly dealing with fewer birds (although this is nothing more than a guess) and in far more habitat. I try to imagine what the odds are of seeing one of very few apparently somewhat nomadic birds in the thousands and thousands of hectares of forest that they have been reported in. And then what are the odds of being prepared to fire off your camera after months of nothing if the bird only appears for an instant...

There's the rub. If a population is spread too thin, bird won't be able to find mates, and the population will die out. This is feared to have happened with Bachman's Warbler, I believe.

Furthermore, woodpeckers don't live on the wing--they have to stop to forage, and they are relatively easy to see on tree trunks then. Nobody claims that except for Mary Scott and Gene Sparling in Arkansas, and Kullivan in Louisiana, who claimed to observe perched birds, but they could not write up field notes with sketches, that I have seen, or get a photo or video--2 of the 3 had cameras. All other sightings have been fleeting glimpses of a wraith-like bird. (Oh yes, Tyler Hicks saw one perched for a "millisecond".)

During the breeding season, IBWO would have to stay put, call, and drum in order to find a mate. None of this has been seen or heard. Lots of ARU recordings alleged to be calling and drumming, but no sightings of a bird perched doing that. How can that be?

The Auburn team was originally saying they must be "detecting" multiple birds. Heck, they claimed to have found birds within an hour of starting searching, or something like that.

Ivory-bills were known to live in family groups. Large woodpeckers are easy to find while tending a nest with noisy nestlings, or leading noisy, begging fledglings about their territory. (And noisy fledglings don't get fed, so they die--that's pretty much the usual case among birds.) Jackson talks about this and is quoted here--you can read his discussion about how noisy and social the bird was.

I just don't believe any actual, living species, can have the characteristic that it never pauses for more than an instant. And the population density would have to be quite high within the vicinity of a nest--and there would have to be successful nesting somewhere for the species to be alive today. That's my problem with this whole fiasco--no nest found in the last 63-plus years--it just boggles the imagination. No breeding population found despite three years of intense searching in Arkansas. None in Florida after two years, despite lots of "detections".

Cheers as well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back