• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (1 Viewer)

hyperreality is when you fail to separate reality from fantasy, (not as in a mental 'illness' though) and it applies to technologically 'advanced' culture like ours. What is "real" when the original event or experience can be 'altered' by its media depiction? The world of the 'Authentic Fake!' I'm sure people who 'believe' really DO 'believe'

Who said there's never anything new on this thread? That's surely the first time anyone's approached the issue from a phenomenological perspective?

The 2008 IBW Foundation Search has started.
Check out ibwfound.blogspot.com
Also, Dr. Jerome Jackson is the Keynote speaker at the IBW Foundation Dinner/Weekend Feb. 22-4.
Note: Bobby Harrison will show his un-published video.
He will also do a breakout session on how to conduct a low impact search.
Jaime Hill & Bart Stephens will discuss the use of time-lapse cameras, for the purpose of optimal searching.

There are so few birds, so many acres . . .

Last edited:
Ivory Billed Search by Helicopter

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/ivory-billed_search639.html
Please see article. And in reference to the previous post by Norma yes there remain many acres yet to be searched. What is amazing is that the official search team continues to find methods to search without getting any mud on their boots or venturing far off the pavement(thus many acres yet to be searched). I am in hope that this official team will back out this spring and leave room for(other independent searchers who do not wish to interfere with the official team) to wade into the mud and ID this bird. Who knows, other independent searchers could include…….well possibly Dr. Jackson for instance.

Flying High

Thank you for that most interesting link, Goatnose.
Are you against the use of helicopters as such? Or do you feel that not enough of the searchers are getting "stuck in", quite literally?

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/ivory-billed_search639.html
Please see article. And in reference to the previous post by Norma yes there remain many acres yet to be searched. What is amazing is that the official search team continues to find methods to search without getting any mud on their boots or venturing far off the pavement(thus many acres yet to be searched). I am in hope that this official team will back out this spring and leave room for(other independent searchers who do not wish to interfere with the official team) to wade into the mud and ID this bird. Who knows, other independent searchers could include…….well possibly Dr. Jackson for instance.

Thank you for that most interesting link, Goatnose.
Are you against the use of helicopters as such? Or do you feel that not enough of the searchers are getting "stuck in", quite literally?

Yes correct, the searchers are not and have not strapped up their boots and searched and missed a supper or two.......it has been a holiday for them....no not against helicopters... at least the searchers can text message then and carry their laptops as they search it beats not searching and sitting in the lodge to caTCH UP ON TEXT AND EMAIL.

no doubt someone will claim the helicopters scared the last ones to death. Wonder if they'll play the Ride of the Valkyries while searching.

Rob

no doubt someone will claim the helicopters scared the last ones to death. Wonder if they'll play the Ride of the Valkyries while searching.

Rob

You can just see it now – them all dressed in camo gear, Wagner playing, Fitz giving motivational prep talks with a cigar…

Then they’ll land, canoe down a river for a couple of hours, see some interesting scalings, come back and spend the next six months giving Gala dinner speeches.

Cut

You can just see it now – them all dressed in camo gear, Wagner playing, Fitz giving motivational prep talks with a cigar…

Then they’ll land, canoe down a river for a couple of hours, see some interesting scalings, come back and spend the next six months giving Gala dinner speeches.

And cut to a pub in Norfolk where The Sex Pistols are playing somewhere in the background. Tim and Ilya are drinking merrily, the tears blinding them, laughing at the absurdity of it all. Ilya's phone rings and he can barely answer it through guffaws and splutterings. He uses a handkerchief and tries his manful best.
And a change comes over him, so much so that a strange greyhound in the bar notices and raises his head. The colour drains from Ilya. "Who took the photograph?" he croaks.
And to the discordant notes of a Rotten "God Save the Queen" he groans, "No, please no. Not Choupique1."

And cut to a pub in Norfolk where The Sex Pistols are playing somewhere in the background. Tim and Ilya are drinking merrily, the tears blinding them, laughing at the absurdity of it all. Ilya's phone rings and he can barely answer it through guffaws and splutterings. He uses a handkerchief and tries his manful best.
And a change comes over him, so much so that a strange greyhound in the bar notices and raises his head. The colour drains from Ilya. "Who took the photograph?" he croaks.
And to the discordant notes of a Rotten "God Save the Queen" he groans, "No, please no. Not Choupique1."

Unfortunately, I wasn't describing fiction...

That was cute, thanks for the smile! :)

Russ

Serious

This is a serious subject, you say, and I agree. Such destruction of habitat in the southeastern states. So many Ivory-billed woodpeckers shot. So many "collected". Such greed. Such property development. Such use of free German labour in the Second World War. Such progress.

However you seem to think that a serious subject cannot sometimes be treated in a light-hearted way.

As we say here in Ireland (and maybe in Florida too), if you didn't laugh you would cry.

It wasn't 'cute' it was silly.

This isn't 'Ruffled Feathers' and is a serious subject; by virtue of the money being spent/wasted (depending on your opinion) on this search for the IBWP.

Good humor, a recollection of past posts

I found this quite funny, but I had a funny recollection, and I finally found the post by Choupique1 here:

... and I rarely venture into the woods with a camera... if i do have one it is usually in my rucksack until my primary reason for being afield is completed.....

I doubt Mr. Choupique1 will be the one to get the million dollar photograph, since he rarely carries a camera, or keeps it in his rucksack if he does--as did David Kulivan during his 1999 sighting. My vote is for Bobby Harrison to get that photo, after all, he has seen the bird five times (more times than anyone else, I believe) and he is an "an award winning nature photographer". My money's on Bobby.

Photograph

I found this quite funny, but I had a funny recollection, and I finally found the post by Choupique1 here:

... and I rarely venture into the woods with a camera... if i do have one it is usually in my rucksack until my primary reason for being afield is completed.....

I doubt Mr. Choupique1 will be the one to get the million dollar photograph, since he rarely carries a camera, or keeps it in his rucksack if he does--as did David Kulivan during his 1999 sighting. My vote is for Bobby Harrison to get that photo, after all, he has seen the bird five times (more times than anyone else, I believe) and he is an "an award winning nature photographer". My money's on Bobby.

Ah, PCoin, now why do I suspect that you think there'll never be a definitive photograph?;) And I opted for Choupique1 in my little scenario because there is "history" between himself and Ilya. Sometimes humour can defuse a nasty situation.
And your own sense of humour is so impish and mischievous that I have to believe you must be partly Irish! Your first name isn't Patrick, is it?
And if it is, why maybe despite your protestations you hope so much that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker still exists that you're almost a believer!

Anyway, about photographs. You probably know that shortly a book will be published, or rather self-published. The author claims that his work contains good recent photographs of the IBWO.
And I'll bet that others are already sharpening their pens around words like, "fake" "forgery" and "fraud".

I'm curious. Are you?

Ah, PCoin, now why do I suspect that you think there'll never be a definitive photograph?;) And I opted for Choupique1 in my little scenario because there is "history" between himself and Ilya. Sometimes humour can defuse a nasty situation.
I certainly suspect that at this point there will not be a definitive photograph. I just thought your choosing Choupique as a potential photographer was a bit ironic, because he assured us all that he did not take photographs.
I agree wholeheartedly with the humorous spirit of your post--I like a bit of levity!

And your own sense of humour is so impish and mischievous that I have to believe you must be partly Irish! Your first name isn't Patrick, is it?
Ah my (not-so-secret) bat-identity is partly unmasked! I may have some Irish ancestry, as do many Americans, but I cannot verify that.

And if it is, why maybe despite your protestations you hope so much that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker still exists that you're almost a believer!
As I have said several times in this, and other forums, I have hoped the Ivory-billed still exists for my entire life. It is just that my hopes have always been raised, then dashed over the decades. I remember very well the excitement about the Big Thicket sightings in the 1960's, and the alleged Louisiana sightings in the early 1970's, but nothing ever came of them--that is, no breeding population ever found. I had been really excited about the 2005 announcement in Science, and believed it, but became just a bit jaded after no better evidence was found despite massive effort.

Anyway, about photographs. You probably know that shortly a book will be published, or rather self-published. The author claims that his work contains good recent photographs of the IBWO.
And I'll bet that others are already sharpening their pens around words like, "fake" "forgery" and "fraud".
I'm curious. Are you?
No, I'm not aware of any forthcoming books--I don't follow this story very closely any more. I had followed it very closely in 2005 because I was so thrilled about it. I also try to avoid impolite accusations ("fake", "forgery", etc.) in public forums, though I'm not averse to a little bit of sarcasm.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back