• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (1 Viewer)

Curtis Croulet said:
Gallagher and Harrison's bird alit briefly on a tree before it took off again.

From "The Grail Bird":
"I'm sure it landed on a tree trunk about fifty feet away, because I lost it for about three seconds, then I had it again, moving in a straight line through the woods, going up the bayou for another 50 feet or 60 feet, then landing again. It must have hitched around the trunk each time, because I couldn't see it."

So although the bird landed on the tree, Tim never saw it on a tree, never saw any distinguishing fieldmarks that might be more visible on a perched bird. Still brief glimpses of a bird in flight.

Let's hope FL pans out with better observations.

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
IF it's gen (and why would anyone lie to me?) they can be observed

If they can be observed they can be photographed. I hope that the people involved will contact talented bird photographers/videographers and put this to bed if it is real. Get people with skill and extensive field experience at photographing birds in flight or perched at a distance and get some definitive images.

Jane Turner said:
I'm guessing here, but maybe the observer concerned has extensive field notes that have been submitted to the proper authorities.

I doubt that the person who communicated to Tim has seen the IBWOs and therefore has no field notes to turn in

Curtis Croulet said:
The hypocrisy of certain parties in this forum apparently knows no bounds. Unbelievable!

I assume the above quote is meant for Tim. Im not seeing any hypocrisy here. He was all on board after the Cornell sighting, but then, after reviewing evidence, he changed his position. That certainly seems like a rational thing to do.

As for Mr. Collins's evidence, it appears to me that he has reviewed it, and doesnt accept that Mike has seen an Ivory-billed Woodpecker. Once again, whether he's right or not, its a rational position to take.

It appears Tim is using an optimistic open mind for the Florida sighting(s). He is using verbage suggesting that he hopes this isnt a hoax or another mis ID. I dont see anywhere where he said this is the true "rediscovery"

Now I did notice one of his recent postings had one of these in it.... B :)
Maybe Tim is being ornery, but I doubt it.

Of course, I could be applying the above quote incorrectly, and if so, please correct me.

Curtis Croulet said:
The hypocrisy of certain parties in this forum apparently knows no bounds. Unbelievable!
What I find unbelievable is why anyone cares what that big mouth thinks. I'm sure he was the author of the inane birdtwit article that claimed that Cornell's reports were fraud. I wonder if he'll come clean and admit it? He's been ragging on Cornell and others who have seen the bird. Now he hears from another blowhard like himself and suddenly he believes the bird exists? How can anyone take this guy seriously?

You people who are still debating the existence of this bird are total idiots. Those who are questioning Geoff Hill's field experience ought to consider the fact that he got out and found ivorybills while you sat in front of your keyboards and posted a steady stream of crap on this forum. The way to prove your skill in the field is to get results. Those of us who have found these birds have proven our abilities and don't have to answer to clowns like Tim Allwood about our field skills.

Tim Allwood said:
I've been informed someone has seen and heard IBWOs in the small area in Florida (snip). . .I have no reason to disbelieve them...Tim

What I want to know is not the name of the person that told you, but WHAT has changed your mind??? Was it this person's reputation or just the fact that you KNOW the person who saw the birds? So WHY have you stopped treating this thread like it was some sick joke????

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!

Curtis Croulet said:

I certainly agree with you here, Curtis. Except that I will add more (!)

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!

cinclodes said:
You people who are still debating the existence of this bird are total idiots.

It must be difficult to be so brilliant and unappreciated.

By the way, assuming the rumors are true, and there are IBWOs at a yet undisclosed site in Florida, it doesn't logically follow that claimed sightings in Arkansas, Louisiana, or any other state are valid.

John Mariani said:
It must be difficult to be so brilliant and unappreciated.

By the way, assuming the rumors are true, and there are IBWOs at a yet undisclosed site in Florida, it doesn't logically follow that claimed sightings in Arkansas, Louisiana, or any other state are valid.

No, but it changes how those sightings are evaluated. CLO, Kulivan, Lewis, Dennis, etc., didn't see an "extinct" bird, they merely saw a very rare one. The "extraordinary" claim is much less extraordinary.

Let's hope latest rumor is true and there IS proof!

To all who still believe, here is a Birdforum link suddenly timely for a revisit...

Official Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp and other related items!

9 IBWO pairs sounds almost too good to be true, but it is certainly possible.

And, for all die-hard skeptics, don't miss a product that Cyberthrush suggests in his latest entry (Ivory-bill Shoppers) at Ivory-bills LiVE! Now that's a Hoot!

Other Ivory-billed Woodpecker shopping items

Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed!

Curtis Croulet said:
No, but it changes how those sightings are evaluated. CLO, Kulivan, Lewis, Dennis, etc., didn't see an "extinct" bird, they merely saw a very rare one. The "extraordinary" claim is much less extraordinary.

But even if not extinct the bird would still be rare enough to require good documentation. By the way, Dennis had real experience with IBWO in Cuba and I believe his claim that he saw one in the Big Thicket (whether any still persist there 40 years later is a question presently being explored).

About Broad-tailed Hummingbird, they are easy during the breeding season at Clark Mountain in eastern San Bernardino Co., but my recollection is that they are very rare (or very rarely identified?) as migrants anywhere in coastal California. According to my old copy of Birds of San Diego County there is a previous summer record from Mount Palomar, so this wouldn't be a first county record, unless that earlier record (1977) has been called into question. With all the neat asiatic strays California gets a Rocky Mountain breeder just doesn't seem so improbable. But Selasphorus ID can be ever so tricky!

John Mariani said:
According to my old copy of Birds of San Diego County there is a previous summer record from Mount Palomar, so this wouldn't be a first county record, unless that earlier record (1977) has been called into question.

The San Diego County Bird Atlas (2004) dismisses the earlier sightings as "dubious" because they are not (guess what?) "supported by a photograph or specimen." Thus earlier sightings of a bird that probably occurs sparingly but annually are lightly blown off. The SDBIRDS posts claim the latest sighting in Ramona to be the "first."

Stringclodes
Worldtwitch piece was by John Wall, i presume
Whatever happens, my views on you and several of your sightings hasn't changed one jot.

The person has assured me they've seen them in Florida... in a short space of time and repeatedly. Being a 'believer' I'm amazed they haven't told you lot... or maybe hey have?

I am still waiting to see of course and as i said i'm not convinced yet... but why would someone lie like this?

I wouldn't believe it but i just can't fathom why ANYONE would lie to me like this.

Tim

Thank you, Tim Allwood, for consistently being the strongest voice of reason on this hilarious thread. While I think at times you've been blunt beyond need - and I ain't no fan of the original Spice Girl in your avatar - you have brought (and hopefully continue to bring) a much-needed balance here. Now, if someone finally delivers those results in the coming weeks (see post #6909), can we pop the champagne and all be friends? And people, I am counting on seeing post #7000 up when I come back to work tomorrow.

Tim Allwood said:
The person has assured me they've seen them in Florida... in a short space of time and repeatedly. Tim

That would suggest that there will be none of the "poor views" "quick disappearance", "failure to relocate", "pathologically wary" -type excuses for failing to get a proper description and corroboration, and the evidence will be simple to assess by the appropriate records committee.... though not as simple as some of the existing claims which are clearly unacceptable!

Can't wait. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
cinclodes said:
What I find unbelievable is why anyone cares what that big mouth thinks. I'm sure he was the author of the inane birdtwit article that claimed that Cornell's reports were fraud. I wonder if he'll come clean and admit it? He's been ragging on Cornell and others who have seen the bird. Now he hears from another blowhard like himself and suddenly he believes the bird exists? How can anyone take this guy seriously?

You people who are still debating the existence of this bird are total idiots.

Cinclodes is done casting us "pearls" but he's not done casting aspersions.

IBWO_Agnostic said:
Great, I'm glad to hear that. So then, do you think we should accept an Ivory-billed record without concrete evidence (i.e. photo/video)? And why?

Would you accept a Bumblebee Hummingbird record in Texas without a photo?

The difference between the two birds should be quite obvious but will probably slip by some so...

Bumblebee Hummingbird has one record of two skins collected north of the Mexican border if I am not mistaken more than 105 years ago in Arizona. No further confirmed records of this nonmigratory species in US or Canada, although I will admit there have been NUMEROUS reports that have consistently proven to be moths. This bird can only be considered a vagrant in the US at best.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker has a history of residence in both this state and the regions the reports are coming from. Despite being generally considered extinct by the birding community, no such formal declaration has been made in the region. While this will be argued by some, as one who receives them in my office I can state categorically that there have been consistent reports of the bird throughout the so called "60 years of silence", some reports from reputable sources who should know the differences between this and confusing species. Reported locations in Texas are a relatively short distance for the birds to travel from significant points in its history such as locations where Audubon reported the bird as "abundant", and locations where the last accepted record for the state was documented.

Yes, in my mind the bird reports remain unconfirmed for this state until we have significant photo evidence from this state AND our bird records committee acepts said evidence. However, in the case of AR that has already occurred to the acceptance of that committee, thus in my mind the bird has been seen in AR this century until such time as that committee decides otherwise. To argue against it and to discuss documentation we have not seen undermines the credibility of not only that state committee, but the entire review process.

bigmouth?
my info from a blowhard? (you'll like this one Stringclodes.. wish i could say!)
swine?
we're all 'idiots'?
we're incompetent?
we're Sibley ass kissers?
clowns?
stream of crap?
arrogant birders?
slothful birders?
hypocrit (or was that a.n.other?)
(that's the last few days, and he apparently ignores me...????)

I just say he's stringy, as do people who know him better.

I like 'Voice of Reason' though

Tim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back