• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (1 Viewer)

Tim, strangely enough, I was thinking the other day that I didn't want to know what you looked like as it would always be hard to picture you with any face other than that on your avatar...

Ilya Maclean said:
As it was always my intention to amuse rather than offend, I've removed the website. Don't let that put you off legal action or getting your SAS buddies on me though chipique. I'll make it easier than finding an IBW for you. Mondays to Fridays I work for the British Trust for Ornithology, based in Thetford in Norfolk and most Saturdays in October I can be found birding on Blakeney Point on the North Norfolk Coast. See if you can get a detailed photograph of me, post it and label it as a jackass or something:)

thank you....

on the deer bleats.. deer beats... etc.. heard several vocalizations.... from fawns today..... they cleared a little section of the woods behind my house today... the beginning of the end for "my neighborhood woods".... sad... but nothing I can do.. the deer were kinda going nuts.. about 30 live in this 10 acre tract... we feed them.....

only one lost fawn made a sound remotely similar to an ibwo sound... the volume was way off though and did not carry far.... my trail cam.. usually snaps 10-15 pics a day... .got 105 today....

speaking of deer hunters... and trail cams.....There will be some interesting photos coming soon.... from what i was told by the owner of the photos.. he will send them to LSU after hunting season.....either a heck of a photoshop job..... or a little better than mr lewis' photos... 3 shots.... of course... this probly won't be good enough for a lot of folks.. but it is directly in an area with an awful lot of IBWO habitat.....and... just 23 miles from my house.....

no.. i do not have a jpg of the photos. what i saw was printouts... i offered to buy them.... the owner laughed at me..... i have feeling these photos will make it to LSU come feb 1....

OK, where are the threads on BF that discuss the extinction of this bird simply for lack of photos?

Without photo evidence, why has not this bird been declared 'extinct'?

Why has this bird not become the foder for joking???

Why just the IBWO and not this bird???

Xenospiza said:
Well if it's like this picture of a very rare, very shy bird of the Sumatran jungle, sure...:
http://www.birdlife.org/news/news/2006/07/cuckoo.html

Tim Allwood said:
well the websites gone

I won't have to be looking over my shoulder all day if i'm out with Ilya

On that note, maybe, for the benefit of newbies, we should have a twin post where there's a quick run down on the main posters here and their general viewpoint - a sort of dramatis personae, if you will...

timeshadowed said:
OK, where are the threads on BF that discuss the extinction of this bird simply for lack of photos?

Without photo evidence, why has not this bird been declared 'extinct'?

Why has this bird not become the foder for joking???

Why just the IBWO and not this bird???

because competent british and european birders (some who post here) have been after it for a long time. there have been no stringy records, no people saying they hear them all the time, no one finding 'evidence' all over the place and yet no birds...

and they're notoriously skulky birds, difficult to find, and occur in areas where trapping etc is common.

you could always do some simple research and answer your own questions
http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=9787&m=0

Tim

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
because competent british and european birders (some who post here) have been after it for a long time. there have been no stringy records, no people saying they hear them all the time, no one finding 'evidence' all over the place and yet no birds...

and they're notoriously skulky birds, difficult to find, and occur in areas where trapping etc is common.

Tim
so brother tim... you are saying i am not competent is that correct?

on an unrelated note.. I am relieved you do not look like your avatar... i do not look like mine.. but I did eat the "thing" from mine

Steve said:
Timeshadowed and Cinclodes are you saying for the record that if the united states of americas foremost wildlife/nature/birding organisations come out and say it doesnt exist, that you will still insist that it does?

While the question is not directed at me I would nonetheless answer ::

Yes, it does exist.

The experts were wrong in the 20's then Allen found the bird. They were wrong in the 30's then Spencer found the bird. They have a history of ignoring very credible people, including Dennis, who recorded the bird in the 60's even though it was "extinct" then. The cuban ivory bill was extinct since the 40's -- but Lamb saw several of them in the 50's and others reported the bird again later into the 80's.

I would note that Cornell's work has been supplemented by Auburn's in Florida. I would suppose that they don't know what they are talking about either? While it is easy to throw out Collins work, Cho, me, how do you so easily throw them over the side to. One report was that if they had a shotgun they could have shot one.

That is a pretty good look, and as far as I know MANY people are able to ID a bird on such a short look. But, I guess that they are: Liars or stupid. I would ask you, sir, pointedly, which are they, and what proof do you have to support your position?

I expect that "None" is the answer.

When someone claims to know the status of an entire species covering a range as large as the ivory bill the bet is better that they DON'T know of what they speak as opposed to that they do.

Sorry if I am curt - I really don't mean to be. Hurt my foot pretty bad this weekend trying to track down this bird. However, the points I raise I do so seriously. How can we ignore Auburn as well?

Experts are wrong every day. I go into court with experts and usually one wins and the other loses. Opposite positions all the time.

Jesse

well when people have PMed me telling me they've seen several of the Florida birds and then it all disolves into nothing, i do get a little sceptical...

and then they won't come forward on here (when everyone has worked it out anyway) and back it up or explain the situation.

Tim

Steve said:
Timeshadowed and Cinclodes are you saying for the record that if the united states of americas foremost wildlife/nature/birding organisations come out and say it doesnt exist, that you will still insist that it does?
I've seen and heard the species numerous times, but it doesn't matter to me if others remain in the dark as long as it doesn't have a negative effect on conservation. I have very little respect for birders and birding organizations, and their opinions don't matter to me.

Tim Allwood said:
because competent british and european birders (some who post here) have been after it for a long time.Tim

You just hit the nail on the head, Tim, with the above statement.

Unfortunately, the American Birding biggies throughout the years (going way back to the 1800's even) have not taken reports of the IBWO seriously. This led to the opinion that the bird was extinct when it was not. They have made their own problem by not listening to the ones who were seeing the birds. A lot of habitat has been lost due to this situation. It is not a joking matter. It is a very SAD saga.

TimeShadowed

gud said:
1) true believers with "sightings", etc. - fine, but don't overstate as sometimes happens with supposed "proof" statements - that is fine if you believe 100% but not all your 'evidence" is irrefutable to many of us - just go on about your business and give us updates.
I believe my video contains the strongest visual evidence to date. In particular, I believe the difference in the profiles is conclusive. The comparisons have been posted for a long time, and nobody has come forward with a pileated that fits. Some agree with me on this. Some aren't confident about making a call on such a technical comparison. That's fine, but we need to start learning how to identify this species based on crummy videos, which will probably be forthcoming from other locations. There is also the jealousy factor, which has reared its ugly head repeatedly since Cornell's announcement.

cinclodes said:
I've seen and heard the species numerous times, but it doesn't matter to me if others remain in the dark as long as it doesn't have a negative effect on conservation. I have very little respect for birders and birding organizations, and their opinions don't matter to me.

You've already made your sentiments regarding birders very clear. As odd as they may be.

timeshadowed said:
You just hit the nail on the head, Tim, with the above statement.

Unfortunately, the American Birding biggies throughout the years (going way back to the 1800's even) have not taken reports of the IBWO seriously. This led to the opinion that the bird was extinct when it was not. They have made their own problem by not listening to the ones who were seeing the birds. A lot of habitat has been lost due to this situation. It is not a joking matter. It is a very SAD saga.

TimeShadowed
Lots of unnecessary noise on this thread today. But that is not necessarily a bad thing.
It kind of reminds me of listening to Bobby Harrison's presentation last month at a local bird festival. He was speaking of introducing motorized decoy's into his search this year. Probably not a bad thing either especially on the WRNWR. The sound of the motorized decoys would drown out the sound of the Dozers running in the near distance. Kind of a buffer against what are the real issues.

Goatnose said:
Lots of unnecessary noise on this thread today. But that is not necessarily a bad thing.
It kind of reminds me of listening to Bobby Harrison's presentation last month at a local bird festival. He was speaking of introducing motorized decoy's into his search this year. Probably not a bad thing either especially on the WRNWR. The sound of the motorized decoys would drown out the sound of the Dozers running in the near distance. Kind of a buffer against what are the real issues.

would that be spinning wing dekes.... or bouncing/bobbing head.... would it double knock

naples said:
There is a big difference between humor(the quality of being laughable or comical) and humiliation(to lower the pride, dignity, or status of, to shame).
When you choose to use real names, you went down the lower road.
So is it really a stretch for people to get p***d at you, after all, you made it personal.

The shame is on you.

shame on LSU for not being able to field punts or kickoffs.... and our QB having 2 turnovers in two plays...... :storm:

choupique1 said:
would that be spinning wing dekes.... or bouncing/bobbing head.... would it double knock
You are right the bouncing/bobbing head. But I must give Bobby credit to know to inslulated the motor for sound. Although I have never been exposed to a mechanical decoy that was not irritatingly nosey. No it did not double knock.

Back in the garage. . .

Tim Allwood said:
well when people have PMed me telling me they've seen several of the Florida birds and then it all disolves into nothing, i do get a little sceptical...

and then they won't come forward on here (when everyone has worked it out anyway) and back it up or explain the situation.

Tim

Goatnose said:
You are right the bouncing/bobbing head. But I must give Bobby credit to know to inslulated the motor for sound. Although I have never been exposed to a mechanical decoy that was not irritatingly nosey. No it did not double knock.

one of the guides that works for us......and a yankee at that... has made some that are whisper quiet... personally.... i think they should be banned for hunting....... far too many young birds.. just come right in.. too easy

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back