• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (1 Viewer)

I just saw a summer tanager today, new bird to add to my list! i guess you will refute that as well. :-O

Pardon my intrusion, but when you claim not one, but four species that are HIGHLY unlikely in your area, you can not expect anything else. As has been pointed out, Golden-fronted Woodpecker (which is easily confused with Red-bellied Woodpecker) does not range into Kentucky (nor has it ever to my knowledge). Same thing with Ladder-backed Woodpecker. Red-cockaded Woodpecker is a closely monitored endangered species that is colonial (a single bird is highly unlikely) and requires a specialized habitat. It has long been considered extirpated from KY. Ivory-billed Woodpecker is PROBABLY extinct. Facing these facts you throw out a series of messages claiming to have seen all four on your property but you are unwilling to back that up (several offers having been made for ways this could be easily done). What other response do you expect?:-C

I DO NOT recall giving any locations on where I was at when seeing any bird other than IBWO. Strange how people have a place to report rare bird sightings, invite you to share yours in thread, and then expect all forum members to have PhDs in birding. One is expected to have every nuance questioned here. Too bad all posts are not either entirely read, misquoted, etc. I have yet to be anything other than at least polite. All ya'll want to do is fight and slander with a few exceptions.

Free speech is a constitutional right in US, but on forum....................

Lolagal has removed the content from all her earlier postings which make specific reference to IBWO and her incredible (truly incredible) woodpecker backyard list. I suggest we all say goodbye to her and move on...
Sean

T
And then there is this:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=62825&highlight=Sumatran+Ground+Cuckoo

This is a really good example of using remote camera traps to find "lost" species. If it can work in the depths of Sumatra, why the heck can't it work in the richest country in the World?...

Frenchy, did you read the report on Birdlife's site about this finding?
The camera trap was set to monitor tigers, the photo capture of the Ground-cuckoo was accidental. This example does not indicate any great skills in finding a rare species and is not really a contrast with the IBWO search.

Dalcio

Ref.: http://www.birdlife.org/news/news/2006/07/cuckoo.html

Frenchy, did you read the report on Birdlife's site about this finding?
The camera trap was set to monitor tigers, the photo capture of the Ground-cuckoo was accidental. This example does not indicate any great skills in finding a rare species and is not really a contrast with the IBWO search.

Dalcio

Ref.: http://www.birdlife.org/news/news/2006/07/cuckoo.html

Eh?
The very fact that camera traps set for tigers can accidentally photograph a non target but very elusive bird species surely suggests that camera traps specifically set for a target species, e.g. IBWO (pointed at some of those interesting scrapings, peelings and cavities perhaps?), might be successful. If of course a target species is still extant. That's the point.

MM: Any photos yet? - No? Please send the $50 advance fee (do I recall your post correctly?) to the OBC treasurer, Graeme Spinks. Details probably at www.orientalbirdclub.org. If not Tim will know.

Lolagal -priceless. Why was she/he banned?

Cheers, Alan

and now Sumatran Ground Cuckoo is being observed by birders too

go in with the tape to the approximate location and guess what?

why is this never possible with IBWO?

cos it's all stringy.

Tim

How many of these Sumatran Ground Cuckoo's are being observed on private property that owner's refuse to grant permission for anyone to 'trespass'?? How many of those Sumatran Ground Cuckoo's were located in thick under-groweth, deep mud, and swampy private land?

How many of these Sumatran Ground Cuckoo's are being observed on private property that owner's refuse to grant permission for anyone to 'trespass'?? How many of those Sumatran Ground Cuckoo's were located in thick under-groweth, deep mud, and swampy private land?

many, many IBWOs are claimed / have been claimed by people like Hill and Cornell that are not on private land

and to say for the millionth time: people can find very rare, very skulky birds in difficult terrain in remote parts of the world. They don't come back saying 'We had some interesting noises' or we got some 'evidence'. They come back with repeated observations and photos. Time and time again. As Paul French said earlier - if the IBWO is not extinct then the searchers are criminally inept. I happen to favour both of the above.

and lose the apostrophes from cuckoos pleeeeeese.

I agree with Tim here. I sure hoped for the IBWO to be alive, but after so many searches and not a single photo or video, I became a non-believer. A lot of people claim of having seeying it, yet not a single one of them managed a proof doccumentation. Strange to say the least.

Besides, we are not talking about an extremelly remote area of huge jungle... this is the USA, with hundreds, maybe thousands of people looking after this bird every single day!

Did you guys follow the story on the Caatinga Woodpecker rediscovered in Brazil? The bird was unseen since 1926, yet it was rediscovered last year and after that a few other observations were made, including photos. This is in a rather remote area of interior NE Brazil, with not that many people looking for the bird.

Do I detect a U-turn? Full credit for seeing sense!

Not at all. I have said all along "might be out there", "may be out there", etc. While in this incidence I am acknowledging that the preponderence of evidence indicates that it is extinct, there remains the fact that many people who are acknowledged birders in every other call they make are claiming to have seen this bird, including in some cases people who had previous experience with the bird. With these claims, we should not summarily dismiss the possibility (however slight the probability) that it exists. I think you and I think very similarly Ilya, we just word it differently!

Besides, we are not talking about an extremelly remote area of huge jungle... this is the USA, with hundreds, maybe thousands of people looking after this bird every single day!

Where did you get this from? Better have a look at the map and aerials again. This is VERY remote area generally described as swamp and bottomlands. Go back and read some of the descriptions. These birders are tripping over more snakes and gators than other people!

To have any chance of finding a SGC takes at least a 4 day expedition into the rainforest, trekking for 6 hours to even arrive at a favorable site and camping out in difficult conditions. Anyone who has trekked in SE Asian rainforests will appreciate how difficult this will be, including plenty of leeches etc.

You are overestimating the number of people searching for the Ivory-bill by at least an order of magnitude. The searchers have often reported that they hardly ever see anyone else in the swamps, much less other searchers. In the search season (December-May), the number of people looking is probably in the lower double digits, concentrated in parts of Arkansas and the Choctawhatchee River.

The habitat presents significant barriers to entry - a little can be traversed on foot, some by kayak when conditions are right - but much of the area is difficult to penetrate thanks to heavy brush or standing water with cypress knees obstructing travel. The need for a kayak, GPS, expensive camera/video equipment and hazards including strong currents, mosquitos, alligators, poisonous snakes, and armed rednecks are enough to dissuade 99.9% of US birders and 100% of sniping foreign skeptics.

I agree with Tim here. I sure hoped for the IBWO to be alive, but after so many searches and not a single photo or video, I became a non-believer. A lot of people claim of having seeying it, yet not a single one of them managed a proof doccumentation. Strange to say the least.

Did you guys follow the story on the Caatinga Woodpecker rediscovered in Brazil? The bird was unseen since 1926, yet it was rediscovered last year and after that a few other observations were made, including photos. This is in a rather remote area of interior NE Brazil, with not that many people looking for the bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back