• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker: takeoffs with deep and rapid flaps + wing noises (1 Viewer)

Hi Mike,

Just to set the record straight, I am using the account that I set up on Sept. 17, 2005 (as you or anyone else could easily check). Where did you come up with the nonsense that I was using multiple accounts? It's a shame that you are apparently incapable of making a rational contribution to the discussion.

The core question you failed to answer is, have you ever made posts using other accounts than the "Fishcrow" account here on birdforum?

That is nothing anyone could easily check.

Of course, this also means that you could be dishonest in this matter without fear of getting caught, but I'm sure you're as well aware of this as everyone else here.

Personally, I don't really care if the various banned toxic contributors were in fact sock-puppets of one and the same person, and whether this person was you.

However, you would probably not be facing these suspicions if you'd not be using a style of argumentation that's quite close to theirs. As that's something you can probably change easily, you might want to give that a try.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

If anyone here is interested in this magnificent bird and capable of having a serious discussion that rises above the sophomoric level, it would be easy to download and study the video clips.

sophomoric is a favourite word for extinct woodpecker sock-puppet accounts

These types of threads repeatedly get resurrected for their own reasons, and that seems to be because the bird's traits are apparent, but the only actual evidence was of the video shot back in the 30's
. People say they have heard, seen and identified the bird but where the is the solid evidence? Unless someone gets a photo of this bird, it is possible that it is extinct. These threads seem similar to the "yellow-billed crow" of the Americas as well. To anyone out there looking for this bird good luck.

These types of threads repeatedly get resurrected for their own reasons, and that seems to be because the bird's traits are apparent, but the only actual evidence was of the video shot back in the 30's
. People say they have heard, seen and identified the bird but where the is the solid evidence? Unless someone gets a photo of this bird, it is possible that it is extinct. These threads seem similar to the "yellow-billed crow" of the Americas as well. To anyone out there looking for this bird good luck.
I agree, it's interesting that they could take this good of footage in the 1930's, but now, with all of our advanced cameras, we must rely on flap rates...

I personally think it's possible IBWO isn't extinct, but at present there is no evidence, so we should assume it is.

Intense activity for 24 hours then disappears. Odd behaviour
I personally think it's possible IBWO isn't extinct, but at present there is no evidence, so we should assume it is.

What does it take to convince someone that a species has become extinct, I ponder. We've had a statement from the American authorities that the species is probably extinct, so when does that equate to, the species is confirmed as such? The US Fish and Wildlife department have stated that as there are no confirmed sightings since 1944, the bird is declared as extinct.

Last edited:
Also I forgot to add to my previous post but whilst there has been an absolute ton of “sightings” why is it not possible for the people who have supposedly seen them to have gotten a picture of one? Yes it is difficult habitat, but surely an experienced photographer could easily get somewhat of a shot of one?

Intense activity for 24 hours then disappears. Odd behaviour

What does it take to convince someone that a species has become extinct, I ponder. We've had a statement from the American authorities that the species is probably extinct, so when does that equate to, the species is confirmed as such? The US Fish and Wildlife department have stated that as there are no confirmed sightings since 1944, the bird is declared as extinct.
Difficulty in reaching the habitat could be a huge factor, if nobody is getting right to where they are, they won't be found. I don't know when the last time anyone saw Congo Peafowl was but nobody has said they are extinct.

Last edited:
Difficulty in reaching the habitat could be a huge factot, if nobody is getting right to where they are, they won't be found. I don't know when the last time anyone saw Congo Peafowl was but nobody has said they are extinct.
There's lots of captive Congo Peafowl, so that is a bit of a different situation.

Exactly Andy. The IBW has had quite an intensive campaign ( volunteer hours, funding ) to find conclusive evidence about it's existence for quite a few years exploring old sites, perfect habitat equipped with suitable optics, cameras and audio recording gear, yet still nothing but hypothesis. Even some IBW Pro campaigners here on Birdforum who came in like a lion but left as a lamb......pileated canada bull, 1 TruthSeeker, Motihal, Dianne D.

I was reading about the Black - Browed Babbler being re discovered after an absence of c.180 years with acompanying images. Fascinating news.

Last edited:
Exactly Andy. The IBW has had quite an intensive campaign ( volunteer hours, funding ) to find conclusive evidence about it's existence for quite a few years exploring old sites, perfect habitat equipped with suitable optics, cameras and audio recording gear, yet still nothing but hypothesis. Even some IBW Pro campaigners here on Birdforum who came in like a lion but left as a lamb......pileated canada bull, truthseeker, Motihal.

I was reading about the Black - Browed Babbler being re discovered after an absence of c.120
years with acompanying images. Fascinating news.
It happens mate.

Hi Dr. Collins.
You have sparked my curious and adventurous spirit. I would very much like to go and experience the Pearl River ecosystem myself. I would like to spend time on the river and absorb its smells, sights, sounds and movement. Of course, I will also be birding. I took cursory look at a few maps, and the river appears to be a bit confusing and has a few forks. Could you please suggest a place to launch? I understand if you PM.
I notice you work(ed) at the Stennis Space Station. I read that you would often go searching for the bird before work, so I figure you must have spent most of your time close to that area. However, that may not be where you observed your bird(s).
What month do you think would be the best time to visit the Pearl area?

Also I forgot to add to my previous post but whilst there has been an absolute ton of “sightings” why is it not possible for the people who have supposedly seen them to have gotten a picture of one? Yes it is difficult habitat, but surely an experienced photographer could easily get somewhat of a shot of one?

There's a reason, but it's nothing to do with inexperienced photographers.

For any here who don’t already know, and might be interested, the US Fish & Wildlife Service will be holding a public Zoom meeting next Wed. (Jan. 26) from 7 to 8:30pm EST (not great timing for those of you across the pond) to discuss their recommendation for Ivory-bill de-listing. It requires pre-registration to join. You can read a little more about it in my Jan. 11 posting:

https://ivorybills.blogspot.com

Mike, I completely believe this is an IB, and much of what you've done has shaped my recent profession career. And I understand that you have been through a lot, to put it briefly. But in your initial post, "it doesn't matter to me what anyone thinks," I hope you recognize overstatement. We're human, we have feelings. Yes, I've had some modifying questions here and there, with my background in natural sciences, but not to negate your work. John

Hi Mike,

If you're into addressing all of an sudden, you might want to address this issue which you've been evading for a couple of years right now:

Unless your inner scientist suddenly remembers he's left the faucet running, of course! :-D

Regards,

Henning
No because he addresses maximum possible flap rate
Hi Mike,

Since you've not answered it, you are still evading the issue.

Let me be very clear: All of your claims regarding the flap rate are based on a complete failure to understand how statistics work, on a very elementary level.

I don't really need to know your scientific credentials - reliance on fake math and a failure to respond to specific criticism paint a clear picture.

Regards,

Henning
Name another possible species. Mike offers flap rate as supporting other evidence, and supporting accepted knowledge for IB. Pretty simple-- no other species has all the morphometric field marks. And by the way, in my opinion, his 2007 video is even better.

I'll bite.

From what I've seen, all but one of your papers on IBWO have been published in predatory journals which publish any sort of tat with, at best, minimal peer review if you pay them enough money.

The only journal with a modicum of respectability is Scientific Reports, which likes to publish controversial stuff. It is also hard to get rejected from there as they also take a hefty fee to publish.

How would you sum up you credentials?
Putative audio recordings of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker (Campephilus principalis),” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (2011), pdf, supplemental material.

Video evidence and other information relevant to the conservation of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker (Campephilus principalis),” Heliyon (2017), pdf.

Periodic and transient motions of large woodpeckers,” Scientific Reports (2017), pdf.

Using a drone to search for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker (Campephilus principalis),” Drones (2018), pdf.

Statistics, probability, and a failed conservation policy,” Statistics and Public Policy (2019), pdf.

Application of image processing to evidence for the persistence of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker (Campephilus principalis),” Scientific Reports (2020), pdf.

The role of acoustics in the conservation of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker (Campephilus principalis),” Journal of Theoretical and Computational Acoustics (2021), pdf.

Even granting that these are "predatory," which is laughable and uninformed, the real judgement should be the paper, in case special interests were involved right? And Mike's work is thorough, measured, and impeccable, at the limits of his time and tech's sensing abilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back