• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker: Ten Years of Foolishness (1 Viewer)

fishcrow

The rediscovery of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker was announced ten years ago today. The only way to really learn about birds is to observe them in the field. While spending the better part of the past ten years in the habitat of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, I had ten sightings and obtained three videos that show numerous flights and other behaviors, including some that don't appear in the historical film. I spent considerable time researching the literature on this species and relevant topics such as flight mechanics. I spent some time researching threats to habitat and discovered that one of the major river basins within the range of this species has been heavily logged in recent years. I identified several factors (which should be easy for any experienced bird watcher to appreciate) that make these birds exceptionally elusive. I identified several mistakes that have impeded the conservation of this species, including some that were made decades ago. These issues are discussed in a series of lectures. This information is based on a decade of field work and research, direct observations, and the strongest collection of data that has been obtained on this species in decades, but I'm sure that many bird watchers who have never stepped foot in the habitat of this species will think they know better. That attitude is one of the reasons why the American bird watching community failed to document this amazing species for decades.

Mike Collins
Alexandria, Virginia

Anyone who can manage to see an extinct bird that many times has certainly got a unique skill set.

Just back from Costa Rica where this species: http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Campephilus-guatemalensis
was easily detected at La Selva by its loud double-raps. Like all in the genus.

cheers, alan

The rediscovery of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker was announced ten years ago today. The only way to really learn about birds is to observe them in the field. While spending the better part of the past ten years in the habitat of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, I had ten sightings and obtained three videos that show numerous flights and other behaviors, including some that don't appear in the historical film. I spent considerable time researching the literature on this species and relevant topics such as flight mechanics. I spent some time researching threats to habitat and discovered that one of the major river basins within the range of this species has been heavily logged in recent years. I identified several factors (which should be easy for any experienced bird watcher to appreciate) that make these birds exceptionally elusive. I identified several mistakes that have impeded the conservation of this species, including some that were made decades ago. These issues are discussed in a series of lectures. This information is based on a decade of field work and research, direct observations, and the strongest collection of data that has been obtained on this species in decades, but I'm sure that many bird watchers who have never stepped foot in the habitat of this species will think they know better. That attitude is one of the reasons why the American bird watching community failed to document this amazing species for decades.

Mike Collins
Alexandria, Virginia

Thanks Mike,
Your efforts are much appreciated here.
It's harder to prove something doesn't exist than does. Egos get in the way, Don't let the Turkeys get you down.
I'm an advocate for ecosystem management, and don't care if IBW's are around still, as long as the habitat supports the remaining biodiversity....
Supposedly "extinct" sp(locally) are being managed here by myself and nearby Nat Parks, they are off the radar, government knows how to keep secrets, lest their threat level gets decreased and the management status and conservation funding gets reduced (lots of knock on effects for the biota), best keep it quiet and stay protected. The impacts of tourism for some threatened species is big, and best left alone as the impacts of birders doing call-playback etc is known to cause negative effects for some species.
Leave the birds to it, the few jealous and competetive twitchers may spoil the country for all.
Conservation and community

I grew up in the suburbs of Essex, east of London, England. I currently sit, increasingly balder and greyer in a field next to a vast area of World Heritage listed wilderness. I've seen the changes in the world and can't help but notice that the buildings are taller and people more numerous. There are fewer different kinds of creatures in the world than when I was younger, it happens.

To swap a typical suburban life for a rural one in a far off land is a big change, socially and environmentally, not many do it, I'd have met them by now. But anyone who can, should. I can recommend the living in a caravan and digging your own toilet for 10 years for the conservation of high biodiversity land as a wholly satisfying experience (probably).

The strange thing is the negativity I've met from people, whether they be birdwatchers or farmers. Some people are just negative and small minded.

I began to raise money for our land conservation by showing birders Masked Owls for $20 a pop, by sitting patiently and waiting by our home. A local birder (or Ecologist Wildlife/birding guide as he calls himself now in NSW Australia) decided to try and have a go, and charged a lot more, by luring birds to the adjacent highway by playing the call of the Owl, for a lot more money for himself. He only managed it once. I found the roadkilled Masked Owl a day later, where he was conducting his tour, without visiting our Wildlife Refuge, and pocketing his money for himself. Nobody sees this Threatened species here now, negative outcome for all, due to a greedy twitcher turned "birding tour guide".

We are now focussing on tourism for anyone and everyone, as birders and scientists, but primarily as people. Twitchers are a great example of people who are actually engaging with the real world, but they are competetive and will want to see something you haven't, and will resent you for seeing something they haven't. Competetiveness is a driving force.

This is the "Conservation" forum after all, not for jealous rare bird twitchers.

Last edited:

Mike Collins
Alexandria, Virginia

So it's not extinct?

Could you post pics or video for our enjoyment please?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back