• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jackdaw ssp - help needed (NE Italy) (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
yesterday I managed to observe in a flock of feeding Jackdaws a couple of individuals which stood out from the rest of the flock. I was just wondering whether someone could point me in the right direction in terms of ID: apparently they are not ssp spermologus, but eastern subspecies are too a difficult task for me and I know it's impossible to rule out intergrades.
Thank you very much
Max

Attachments

• JD03.jpg
    JD03.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 52
  • JD02.jpg
    JD02.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 52
Hello everybody,
yesterday I managed to observe in a flock of feeding Jackdaws a couple of individuals which stood out from the rest of the flock. I was just wondering whether someone could point me in the right direction in terms of ID: apparently they are not ssp spermologus, but eastern subspecies are too a difficult task for me and I know it's impossible to rule out intergrades.
Thank you very much
Max
Try this reference. https://www.dutchbirding.nl/journal/pdf/DB_2003_25_4.pdf
They are not of the British/Western or Algerian races, so either Nordic or Russian.

Hello Max,

I agree with you, BH, and Butty, that such birds (with quite pale underparts and distinct spotting in at least one bird) arent ssp soemmeringii, that can be identified with confidence in a vagrant context (?).

But I have seen many similar birds in NE-Germany and W-Polnd in winter. And such birds has been named as "polish integrades", at least here Eastern Jackdaws (another reference site, I hope it will be available, despite the sad death of Martin Garner. Some posts have gone).

Yes, I agree with Butty, that there is the possibility that this is an aberrant bird, but birds that look like this are common in winter in NE-Germany, and very rare at best in summer. I mean extreme birds like here, not Jackdaws with a slight pale patch to the neck, so I think they can be identified as polish integrades with a very high degree of confidence.

Birds like this here are common in winter in NE-Germany and W-Poland and can sometimes/rarely be seen in SW-Germany too.
What is common? The only way not see one around Schwedt/NE-Germany or Chojna/Poland in winter is to close the eyes.

And when you look at the map on birdingfrontiers, NE-Italy isnt too far away from the integration zone.

I have written something about the ID of eastern Jackdaws/ssp. soemmeringii vs polish integrades from a german point of view. I have posted this before here, and its written in german, but I hope its helpful here: Halsbanddohlen in Ostdeutschland – Bird Lens
There are some links to similar birds from the zone of integration there, for example this one:

all: Dohle mit deutlichem Halsband 12.10.15 (Röpersdorf, NE-Germany, 12.10.15)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back