• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jaegar ID possible? Off the coast of California, about two months ago. (1 Viewer)

ignicapilla

Romania
Hello, does anyone know what these jaegars might be?

Attachments

• IMG_7126-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    IMG_7126-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    784.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7129-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    IMG_7129-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 63
Hello,
When looking at your pictures, two species came into my mind. For the usual reasons (observations from the US, I don't have enough experience, although I have seen quite a few of them before and single pictures of difficult species), I decided to stay on the fence and hoped that others would comment. I am still hoping, but for a start:

First picture: the upper bird is unIDable for me, either one of the Great Skuas or a Pomarine Skua? The lower bird might well be a Pomarine Skua?

Second picture: Long tailed Skua?

I can't give much reasons (although the Pomarine has a contrasting pale bill and is a really fat, round bird)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back