• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japan (Tokyo Bay) - Help with Egrets (1 Viewer)

Hello there

Quick question about Egret identification. I took the photos below today (December) near Haneda airport but am a little confused about which type. I am fairly sure it is not a Great White, due to lack of a significant neck-kink, and what seems to be a shorter gap-line. The black bill suggests a Little Egret, but it was a lot bigger than most LEs that I'm used to seeing (2/3 - 3/4 the size of a GWE). Also, its slower, more graceful movements made me think not a LE. This leaves an Intermediate Egret - but would it have a dark bill in December? I didn't get a chance to see the feet, as it was in water the whole time.

Any help would be appreciated,
Ross

Attachments

• DSCF1508.JPG
    DSCF1508.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 40
  • DSCF1515.JPG
    DSCF1515.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 42
Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable. And note that little egret is roughly ⅔ the size (length) of great egret.
Is the correct answer.

I was away in South Shields earlier this year and was convinced I was watching (in the far distance) a GWE walking along the water's edge strutting its stuff, but when I returned home and zoomed into the photos I had taken, I was disappointed to find that is was just a bog-standard ordinary Little Egret - no offence meant to any Little Egrets reading this by the way.

Fair enough, although it wasn't a lone bird. There was a Great White Egret nearby. I'm used to seeing big flocks of the two together here, and the size disparity was much less than usual.

I believe from other posts I have read in this forum that the modesta subspecies of Great Egret is smaller than the nominate alba and thus closer in size to Intermediate - hopefully MacNara will be along with his thoughts.

The size difference between both ssp of Great Egret is is not properly notable i'm afraid...not in the field.
I would say these are Little Egret.
Medium/Intermediate is less elegant and finely formed, easily confused sometimes (in inaturalist) with both Cattle Egret and Great Egret.

Cheers
gerben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back