• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jay mimics hawk's cry? (1 Viewer)

Genoa

A few weeks ago, while on a walk in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada West of Carson City, Nevada (about 5000 feet elevation) I heard a red-tailed hawk's familiar "creee" and searched the sky for the distant, soaring bird. It was the whispery sound of a high, distant hawk, not loud as if nearby.

The sound was repeated, and to my surprise I noticed that a nearby Steller's Jay was the source! I observed several of his calls, each of which was a dead-ringer for a hawk's cry.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is this just idle mimicry, or is there an adaptive reason (such as to impress a mate, or to alarm the squirrels into staying away from the Jay's food source territory?)

Genoa, I've witnessed/heard the same thing with Steller's here in NE Arizona. I don't know the reason they do it, but they have one of the largest repertoires of any bird I've ever heard. Some of it seems to be seasonal, in my less-than-scientific observing the Steller's in our 7000 ft. ele. yard over almost 3 years.

As to food territoriality, the Steller's here have a rather raucous screech (similar to scrub jay) when first coming in for peanuts, which scares newer "yard birds" away. Doesn't affect either of the two spp of squirrels we have. But "old hat" birds in the yard tend to ignore the screeching and continue eating. What the screeching *does* seem to accomplish is calling in additional Steller's and scrubs from the neighborhood, and then it's a race in and out as to who nabs the most peanuts until they're gone. (I only put out about three handsful twice a day and when they're gone, they're gone 'til next time.)

Genoa said:
I just heard him again on Sunday. He seemed to be trying to scare *me* away!
As Karwin said, a typical Jay thing. I have heard different populations of our local jay, Cyanocitta cristata (Blue Jay), do both a Red-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawk call. Their vocalizations have a very wide range and some rival that of the Mimids.

I can only think that, as a warning call, nothing would be better than the cry of something that could eat you, even if that predator was not present.

Keep looking up,

Steve-O

jays mimic hawks

Karwin said:
It is typical jay thing. Cyanocitta cristata does it also, as does the eurasian Garrulus to Buteo.
Aye I've often heard blue jays do redtail calls.We refer to it as the blue tailed hawk.
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back