• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jeffery Harrison Reserve (Sevenoaks, Kent) 12/02/05 (1 Viewer)

DKR

Northern Refugee
I only live a mile away from this spot but have never been much because of the cost. I finally got around to becoming a member today. Members have access to parts of the reserve others don't.

Armed with my new scope I first visited Grebe Hide by the visitor center. Didn't stay in this one long but saw Coot and Black Headed Gull. I then headed towards Public Hide. On the way I saw Great Tit, Robin and was then delighted to come across a Long Tailed Tit. Didn't get a great view of it but nice none the less.

Public Hide was quite productive. Here I saw:

Teal
Gadwall
Grey Heron
Shelduck
Cormorant
Great Crested Grebe
Shoveler
Canada Geese
Greylag Geese
Tufted Duck
Moorhen

After spending 45 mins there I wandered along the members only part of the reserve to where there ais a group of hides. One of them is Tower Hide which, as the name suggests, is a small tower. From here I saw a few Wigeon. I didn't stay long as there wasn't much else about. The hides in this area are in a bit of a state with 'flaps'' broken and graffitti scrawled about inside. They do seem a bit neglected.

I retraced my steps, seeing a Mallard, and headed for Willow Hide which overlooks Snipe Bog Lake. I didn't see any Snipe but did see Mute Swan and a few Pochard. In the fields behind I could see Crow and Woodpigeon. This is quite a nice spot and I spent over an hour here. There was another Grey Heron and plenty of Gadwall.

Before I went back to my car another quick look out of Public Hide revealed a flock of Lapwing had flown in. I spotted a Magpie just near my car which finished the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back