• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Johannesburg Cisticolas (4 Viewers)

Arbu

Three cisticolas in dry grassland close to Johannesburg last week. Maybe I should try to record the calls in future for a better chance of identifying them. Anyway, grateful for opinions as to ID.

Attachments

• Cisticola A (1).jpg
    Cisticola A (1).jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Cisticola A (2).jpg
    Cisticola A (2).jpg
    559.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Cisticola A (3).jpg
    Cisticola A (3).jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Cisticola A (4).jpg
    Cisticola A (4).jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Cisticola C.jpg
    Cisticola C.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Cisticola B (1).jpg
    Cisticola B (1).jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Cisticola B (2).jpg
    Cisticola B (2).jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Cisticola B (3).jpg
    Cisticola B (3).jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 28
For B, I think Levaillant's as non-streaked crown and again bigger than Zitting. It was in dry grassland, not wetlands as described on your chart, but the Sasol guide states that it also occurs in rank grass. Someone on iNaturalist agrees with me.

Edit: Originally said C, but meant B

Last edited:
Re A: Its relative rarity together with a seeming lack of rusty on the lower flank (that at least some of the cloudscrapers seem to show depending on plumage) would bother me. Whatever is meant by big, it looks rather smallish compared to the grass stem, for what it's worth.

I wouldn't characterise any of these tails as long, so we should ve left with Zitting, Cloud or Wing-snapping. (I need to type quickly before someone serious visits this thread.)

Desert not present here, so would be either Cloud or Wing-snapping if identifiable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024-190610_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20231024-190610_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 2
A looks like the picture of Wailing in Sasol, but not the photos on ebird. I don't think it has the really short tail of Cloud or Wing-snapping. So maybe Zitting.

For me, B appears to be the most interesting (Desert appears to be one of the possibilities). I think that, with a bit of imagination, both A and C could be made into Zitting Cisticolas if identifiable.

EDIT: Zitting is overall the most common cisticola today, so A & C are rather fairly likely it.

EDIT 2: A bit of a different, but still similar situation in the entire Gauteng province.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024-202913_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20231024-202913_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231024_203136.jpg
    20231024_203136.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
A is Zitting in my opinion. You can see the white tip to the tail - see attachment.

I don't think B or C can be indentified definitely (or even vaguely, actually). For B any possible wing panel is obscured by a branch. I don't think you can say anything about whether the crown is streaked or not. It could be Rattling, even, which is common and likely (at least a little north). I don't think C is Zitting, but it's so blurry that it's not really possible to say.

I've done my best with B and C but I don't think there is enough information there.

Maybe I should try to record the calls in future for a better chance of identifying them.

A number of years ago, I became ashamed of posting Cisticolas here with no idea of what they were. So on one trip to Namibia, I took a simple sound recorder and recorded every Cisticola I saw as well as taking a photo. I posted all fourteen of them on BF and Tib78 (much missed, busy with kids and work) kindly listened to every one. And they were all Rattling!

Photos: A, B, C

BF Zitting?.jpgBF Bird B.jpgBF Bird C.jpg

OK, thanks. Worth noting if they respond to the call when I play it I suppose, as well. Worked well with this one in Mozambique which seemed to self-identify as Rufous-winged, even if someone's going to come on here and tell me it's not!

Attachments

• IMG_8159.jpg
    IMG_8159.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back