• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

JTMB's Bird Art (33 Viewers)

Bushtits, Purple Finch, House Sparrow and Osprey

Thanks so much Phil, Colleen, Tim, Ken, Russ, Matteo, Nick and Arthur! Thanks particularly for the encouragement and the comments on my progress - it's always very hard to judge one's own work accurately. I've played music most of my life, part-time professionally for several decades and I realized many years ago that musical ability truly is an open-ended scale, and it may be logarithmic. At any level you reach - even at the professional level - there are continually people out there who are in a different and much more advanced part of the universe. I found it amazing and inspiring. Visual art certainly is comparable, from what I've seen so far.

Anyway, here are a few more from the sketchbook - all from photos this time, but not much time spent and not intended as finished pieces. As I'm wrapping up some classes in mid-November, I think I'll spend much of the winter doing (or trying to do! :-O) some decent finished pieces.

I ran into a flock of Bushtits recently at my local birding area, and decided the cute factor they have was worth some sketches, so I pulled out a couple photos I took in the past and did them in graphite. Also in graphite is a (female) Purple Finch, a species that shows up occasionally in my yard. The last two are graphite starting sketches with watercolor washes and are a male House Sparrow and an Osprey with a trout in its talons. I'm very familiar with Osprey from an annual river float trip I've taken for the last 25 years down the Deschutes River in central Oregon. This is a beautiful wild and scenic designated river in a high desert canyon with no roads running through most of it. It is a world-class native trout fishery and so is perfect Osprey habitat. The one I did here from a photo I took grabbed a very nice sized trout and had some initial challenges getting both sets of talons into the fish, which was doing its best to wriggle free. The Osprey eventually won that battle and the trout became dinner for three soon-to-fledge young in a nest very near to our traditional campsite.

1836-S70-BushtitsFromPhoto-Oct22,10-WS.jpg1838-S70-BushtitFromPhoto-Oct22,10-WS.jpg1851-S70-PUFIfromMagazine-Oct23,10-WS.jpg1863-S70-HOSPfromPhoto-Oct24,10-WS.jpg1883-S70-OSPRfromPhoto-Oct27,10-WS.jpg

Particularly like the Bushtits, John, a species I've never seen. There is both richness and personality to these two sketches so that bodes well for more developed work I think.

Must be the Season of the Osprey. One flew up and landed behind me as I talked to some friends today at the Wissahickon. I was polite enough not to drop the conversation and say 'Sorry I've got to draw him.' But the bird cooperated, not moving for 15 minutes while we talked, then staying for at least another 10 minutes after they left and I tried to sketch him. I think I've seen Ospreys between 5 and 10 times at the Wissahickon now, always in late October or early November long after they're reported at local hawk watches.

Yes I definitely understand the similarity with music, I also think is just the same as visual art. Good job! All great sketches!

Nice treatments on these tracks John!

Am also a musician.

http://www.myspace.com/philbabermusic

Although I understand what you say. For me the two Worlds remain different. But you made some excellent points. I think the important thing to remember is BE YOURSELF!
We can never be other artists and musicians. But it is what we do PERSONALLY that adds colour and difference to this fascinating World. Variety of "individuality" is what makes me smile in this World!

Love the sketchings. Have already proposed to your Osprey!

Something a bit special about that second bushtit pic....love it..:t:

ps...[re music and visual art]....to me they are the same....

All the best...!

Hi John,
The Bush-tits are exceedingly well done, sir. The bird in face-on pose really brings out that 'cute factor'. Hope to see more of your 'from life' sketches soon. It's good to see the development of a kindred spirit!

Cheers

Russ

I can't keep up with you John!

The quail is a doozy, as is the merlin, (you've gotta love a merlin haven't you). There's been an art deco cougar and some lively, hopping goldfinches! But my very favourites are the bushtits simply because you're beginning to translate light and shade into convincing mass. Great progress in such a short timespan.

Mike

Goldeneye, Hairy Woodpecker, Sharp-shinned Hawk, etc.

Thanks Ken, Matteo, Phil, Nick, Tim, User, Gaby, Arthur, Russ and Mike for the encouraging comments! At the end of September on another art website that I frequent a lot, one of the forums started a 'complete a sketchbook in a month' challenge. Never one to miss an opportunity to overcommit myself, I jumped in - with a 100 page sketchbook. One of those good news/bad news things - the good news is I got a lot of sketching practice crammed into 31 days. The bad news is I crammed so much sketching into 31 days that some other things I wanted to work on got put aside for a bit.

But, since about 80% of the sketchbook (themed 'backyard' nature, with an extended definition of backyard) was birds, I really added to the miles on my experiential tires with bird sketching - though almost all of what was in the sketchbook was from video or photos. This month and next year I am planning on doing more finished work, and redoubling my efforts on sketching birds from life.

Here are 7 of the last 10 images in the just-completed sketchbook. They are, in order: a Barrow's Goldeneye in graphite (used flash for the pic so it has some reflection) done from my photo; Hairy Woodpecker youngster about a day before it fledged, keeping watch for mom and dad to bring food from my photo, in watercolor; Bonaparte's Gull from my photo in watercolor; American Dipper just-fledged youngster vociferously begging for food from a friend's photo; Sharp-shinned Hawk that landed on our patio last year, about ten feet from our kitchen door in watercolor; Caspian Tern in watercolor from a magazine photo; Snow Goose from a magazine photo.

1908-S70-BAGOfromPhoto-Oct30,10-WS.jpg1888-S70-HAWOyoungFromPhoto-Oct29,10-WS.jpg1896-S70-BonapartesGull-Oct29,10-WS.jpg1899-S70-AMDIyoungBegging-Oct29.jpg1917-S70-SSHAfromPhoto-Oct30,10-WS.jpg

all so good! my particular favourites are the hairy pecker and the caspian tern - such a nice angle on that one.

That hairy pecker's a beaut (steady on now . . . ) - there's a lovely interpretation of the graphic qualities but so sensitively worked - best of both, definitely.

agreed on the hairy guy.....the watercolor washes on the snow goose presage some great work in this media for you....love the bushtit as well

Tim's pointed out all the reasons for the admiration of the hairy pecker piece.

(It's just not possible to type or say that without thoughts going off at a tangent is it!)

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back