• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Dry again last night so trap out for the first time this month. Not such a big catch, waxing Moon and a breeze may have influenced numbers: 34/17 spp.

For the first time Heart and Club at 7 outnumbered Heart and Dart's 6; only 3 C. culmella and 4 Uncertain got past 2, and most species were singles.

Four of those were NFY: 2 Pinion-streaked Snout, a Light Arches, a Miller and a Beautiful Plume.

John

After a really good last June catch my first July one was a big disappointment, same reasons as john above. Just 20 of 10, with two micros NFY - Acleris forsskaleana and Phycitodes binaevella. Strictly speaking the latter needs gen det.

We found this interesting 'Long-eared moth' on our walk in the mountains yesterday (French Alps, c1600m asl. I don't recall having seen one before so would appreciate any help with the id.
Merci!
Richard

Attachments

• IMG_1952.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 19
We found this interesting 'Long-eared moth' on our walk in the mountains yesterday (French Alps, c1600m asl. I don't recall having seen one before so would appreciate any help with the id.
Merci!
Richard
Looks like Oak Eggar, and I don't think there is another French species to complicate matters.

A quieter night than of late, 70 moths of 18 species but the first out of the trap was a Lunar-spotted Pinion which is pretty uncommon in Yorkshire, possibly a new vice-county record. Also new for the year were Spectacle, Purple Clay and Swammerdamia pyrella.

An incredibly wet afternoon/evening in London yesterday & a pretty cool clear night after midnight with a fairly full moon, so not ideal for our trapping session last night. We just had one trap under cover & recorded the following with a few micros retained for ID:

Mottled Rustic
Large Yellow Underwing
Smoky Wainscot 3
Willow Beauty
Light Brown Apple Moth
Celypha striana 2
C. lacunana
Common Plume
Rustic
Uncertain 2
Cloaked Minor
C. culmella 20+
Dunbar
Silver Y 3
Heart & Dart 12
Small Magpie
Common Footman 11
Pale Mottled Willow
Turnip 2
Small Fan-footed Wave
Synaphe punctalis 2 (new for site)
Agapeta harmana 3
Clouded Border
Old World Corn-borer

A visit to Kew Gardens saw an actively feeding Hummingbird Hawkmoth & larvae of Toadflax Brocade on Purple Toadflax.

21 species overnight from a west London park. A couple of migrants- Rusty Dot Pearl & Diamond Back. Heart & Dart most numerous. Buff Ermine the smartest looking moth.

Another modest catch, 50 of 22, but three NFY of which two were significant for me:
Beautiful Golden Y - only my 2nd in 19 years here, the first being June last year
Catoptria falsella - my first for three years
Yponomeuta evonymella

24 of 16 for me last night (my best this year), to include 2 Festoons, Lunar-spotted Pinion, Corn Borer, Box Tree moth, Black Arches (foy) and an Oak Hook-Tip.

Cheers

A warm night last night resulted in 270 moths of 55 species (one with the County Recorder for confirmation), with Chrysoteuchia culmella (119) and Dark Arches (45) accounting for the bulk. New for the year were Small Yellow Wave, Marbled Beauty, Light Arches, Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing and Aleimma loeflingiana.

Had a couple of traps in a local nature reserve. A few micros that are beyond me but some nice moths including Old Lady, Blood-vein, fresh Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing & Waved Black.

Fewer moths last night just 16 of 11 with highlight TLB (foy)

Attachments

• IMG_7111.jpeg
    IMG_7111.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back