• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths (2 Viewers)

Just 20 of 6 this am, to highlight 14 Least Carpet and a SilverY wing.
Plus a Jersey Tiger (just) being chased by a Blue Tit passing the window.😮

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7229.jpeg
    IMG_7229.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Everyone round here is inundated with Willow Ermines this morning - I had 273 (about a third of them in the trap) but my friend in Quorn counted 794 in and around his trap.
Good night otherwise too - a total of 358 moths of 39 species including 2 Tree-lichen Beauty (still scarce round here) and mu first Gothic for eight years.

Six Tree Lichen Beauties in my trap this morning, three Riband Waves (one banded, two outline), four Mother of Pearl and otherwise no more than two (and many singles) among 36/20 spp.

John

Another good catch but with far fewer Willow Ermines, just 35. Highlights were my first Thorns of the year, a Dusky and a Canary-shouldered, plus my second-ever Oak Hook-tip.
Six Box Tree Moths take my total for the year to 30 so I think we can say it is well established round here now.

Low catch last night, not sure why: but first Gypsy Moth of the year, also NFY 2 Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (is there a clumsier moth common name?) and Double Lobed. Two Flame Shoulders the only other multiple in 10/8 spp (once I identify the micro in the fridge).

Edit: Micro was Eudonia mercurella, had several this year already.

John
Y’er a bit behind the times sunshine.🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back