• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June 2007 moths (1 Viewer)

David,
I think #4 is a female large tabby.
My guess for #5 would be Parapoynx stratiotata but I'm not at all sure.
Ken

Thanks for the Large Tabby confirmation, Ken. I'd not had one for a while, and this one just felt a bit differently marked.

As to the final Pyralid (see my note on pronunciation on the other thread, hem hem!!), well I took a look at P. stratiotata on leps.it and it didn't look right. So I flipped through all the Pyralids on the site, and the closest I could find was Hydrisis ornimentalis, but it ain't that, either. I really need Harri on the case here, as he's a wizz with these European Pyralids.....

Just saw Queen of Spain and Silver Washed Fritillary on the Buddleia in the park - it's a new bush - they only stuck it in this year, and it's flowering profusely, I'm happy to say!! Do they attract moths as well as butterflies? If so, it might be worth a stroll down at night...

Best

David

Thanks for the Large Tabby confirmation, Ken. I'd not had one for a while, and this one just felt a bit differently marked.

As to the final Pyralid (see my note on pronunciation on the other thread, hem hem!!), well I took a look at P. stratiotata on leps.it and it didn't look right. So I flipped through all the Pyralids on the site, and the closest I could find was Hydrisis ornimentalis, but it ain't that, either.

Just saw Queen of Spain and Silver Washed Fritillary on the Buddleia in the park - it's a new bush - they only stuck it in this year, and it's flowering profusely, I'm happy to say!! Do they attract moths as well as butterflies? If so, it might be worth a stroll down at night...

Best

David
Don't take my word for it on any micros!
(Flowering) Buddleia are brilliant for attracting moths. Cover your torch with a red filter and you'll find lots of moths on a warm humid windless night. But watch out for policemen on the prowl ;)
Ken

PS Sedums can also be very productive.

Last edited:
I seem inadvertently to have started a debate among various 'top' mothers with my Caryocolum moth http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=85988&d=1179988922
It was IDed by the Surrey micro recorder as C tricolorella but when I sent the photo to UKmoths (as they don't have that one illustrated) Ian K queried the ID - he says it's a dead ringer for C fraternella in MOGBI IV (which I don't have). I'm afraid it's going to be yet another dissection job. Personally, I don't feel qualified to offer a view - although I did find it in a web on greater stitchwort which should make it tricolorella.
Ken

For those of you who have been waiting with bated breath for the outcome of this debate (well it beats the Archers, doesn't it!) the moth turned out to be fraternella. Now the question is, did I correctly ID the greater stitchwort. If I did, and that's not by any means certain, it would be a new foodplant for fraternella, in Surrey at least.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back