• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just a yellowhammer? 2nd April 2023, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, UK (1 Viewer)

Hello Evan,

tfs this interesting Yellowhammer!
I presume you mean the red speckles in the supercilium and the moustachial stripe. Especially the bits above the eye are signs of intogression from Pine Bunting according to literature.

You know that I am interested in this topic for some time now:

And the red moustache is also more extensive than in the majority of YH in Germany during summer (yes I have a few similar birds with a red moustachial stripe in NE Germany during summer).

And the grey hues on the neck is also rare in summer YH in Germany. What a pity, that your bird has a clear olive tinge there, not pale pure grey. So its useless, yes I think so: its either pure or better skipped???

Yes I might well seeing things, but:
what is with the pale whitish-citrine edges to the primaries? I have seen YH with this exact hue in the head and belly only in winter except 2 or 3...

(and the extensive and orange tinged rufous hues (exact shade) on the belly are also unusual at least for summer YH in Germany. But yes, I have seen quite a few now after specifically looking for them.)

I realized that this comment came out more confident than it is intended to be. Like you, I hope for more comments. Are those features, especially on the head, present in breeding YH in the UK?

See also here

there is also an accepted YH x Pine Bunting hybrid from France in summer, I see if I can dig it out

Again: tfs and I hope for more comments!

Last edited:
Thank you all for the comments, it did strike me as a rather interesting yellowhammer for the reasons Alex has stated. There were several other males there who were singing and I do not recall this bird calling at all. Obviously the bright yellow and the red moustachal stripe is what struck me the most to request more views on this bird. I did at the time think pine bunting was involved but I am not sure there is...

Kind regards

Evan

Some authors think the said ssp. erythrogenys is of hybrid origin, while others disagree. Re the former approach, see the text at the bottom of page 3, illustration on page 4 and table on page 2: https://www.researchgate.net/public...bunting_in_Russia_Dutch_Birding_2003_25_17-31 (already supplied by Alexander above). Conservative result: 0 (I) + 3 (II) + 2 (III) = 5 (HI), which should make it a hybrid.

Bad news: the latter approach is currently assumed to be true by most, which should make it non-hybrid ssp. erythrogenys? Should be at least unusual for the UK (from what I remember from reading some blogs about British hybrid Yellowhammer candidates a while ago).

EDIT: picture attached

Attachments

• 20240109_144240.jpg
    20240109_144240.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back