• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just getting started, need advice (1 Viewer)

Bsmooth

Bruce
I already love taking pictures of birds. But being outside early in the morning with nothing to hear but birdsongs, sometimes makes me want to keep them somehow. I liked the Olympus LS-11, but unfortunately its no longer available. However the Olympus LS-5 seems to be very similar.
I would probably just take the recorder with me as well as my camera.
Would you have advice as far as this choice or maybe possibly others as well ?

I'm not very familiar with the Olympus recorders, nor the LS-5, but it looks to be hard to find any for sale any longer. A comparable mic that is readily available would be the Zoom H1n, which is fantastic as long as you're not looking to capture super-quiet environments (e.g. remote areas with low anthropogenic noise where birds just don't vocalize as loud).
Definitely get a foam mic cover + fuzzy windscreen as well -- and make sure to put them on together. Not many guides are clear on this and I've made this mistake before, the windscreen will rattle around without the foam inside keeping it in place. This lowers how much gets recorded by a bit of course but keeps you from losing recordings to the slightest of breezes. Crank the gain up high, probably around 8 or so, though I've often just put it to 10 to get extra reach (in quiet environments you'll get a tiny bit of self-noise too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back