• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juv Gull (Lesser Black Backed?) for I.D. (2 Viewers)

Lancey

Dear all,
I've posted photos of a juvenile gull which I have identified as a Lesser Black Backed Gull although I have not seen one quite so unmarked on the underparts before. In fact, I had identified it originally as a Yellow-Legged Gull but the fact that I videod this bird on November 3rd 2005 would surely mean that a Yellow-Legged Gull would show the pale grey scapulars indicative of 1st winter plumage by November.

I originally saw it at long range and it looked worthy of closer study even then. I have attached a videograb taken at long range which gives an idea of the birds dumpy structure and pale underparts (admittedly over exposed slightly at long range but nonetheless quite eyecatching).

In size it was about that of a 'typical' Lesser Black Backed Gull with rich brown upperparts and a more or less wholly unmarked from head to belly. The undertail coverts were lightly marked with V-shaped chevrons and the tail band was relatively narrow with broader edges.

I have tried to provide a selection of videograbs to show the features I've mentioned. I'd be pleased to hear opinions on this bird which, as I mentioned before, was videod in November 2005.

Thanks,
Lancey

Attachments

• gull 098.jpg
    gull 098.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 165
  • gull 045.jpg
    gull 045.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 146
  • gull 051.jpg
    gull 051.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 148
  • gull 014.jpg
    gull 014.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 132
  • gull 016.jpg
    gull 016.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 162
hi,
looks ok to me for a 1st winter lbbg, lancey. usually nominate fuscus looks so pale, but this is definitely a graellsii/intermedius bird.
cheers,

LBB Gull

Lou,
Thanks for your comments. What surprised me about it was just how pale it was. I've not seen one so unmarked on the underparts before. I realised it couldn't be the nominate fuscus on the basis of structure, I don't recall seeing a juvenile LBBG so unmarked on the underparts as this before. Or at least if I have, it didn't catch my attention like this one.

Lancey

intermedius/graellsii

JanJ,
Thanks for your reply. Structurally it would favour graellsii/intermedius and perhaps because of the lack of markings on the body it might be an intermedius? Juvenile/1w intermedius are less marked than juv / 1w graellsii I believe?

Lancey

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back