• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Bald Eagle? Nashville, TN today (1 Viewer)

hamlinjk15u

United States
Seen soaring only for about 2 mins, a few hundred feet up. severely cropped photo. With the naked eye I thought just another Black Vulture. But looking at the photo, im pretty sure its a Juvi Bald Eagle. Ive seen an adult in this area as well in the recent past

Attachments

• DSC_0331.JPG
    DSC_0331.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 26
Yes - note massive bill. I take it to be not far off adult - a young(er) bird would have lots of blotchy white on the underparts.

Yes - note massive bill. I take it to be not far off adult - a young(er) bird would have lots of blotchy white on the underparts.
yeah that bill was the giveaway once I got the photo on my computer screen. just wanted to really make sure with you experts. on my camera i quickly noticed that the space taken up forward of the wings was more than seen on a Vulture.

As you say, black vulture has a relatively little head - and with fat wings and a peculiar fast-flapping wing-action. Very different.

As you say, black vulture has a relatively little head - and with fat wings and a peculiar fast-flapping wing-action. Very different.
considering how high up this was, it was almost impossible to tell relative size. especially since it was the only one soaring where it was. coupled with the fact that neither this guy, nor the Black Vulture that WAS circling in the same general area about 30 minutes later, were flapping their wings at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back