• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Chestnut-breasted Malkoha? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Date: 19-Dec-2021

My previous thought of this is Juvenile Chestnut-breasted Malkoha but when I go thru it again today, I notices the color around its eyes are blue instead of red. Now I have second thought of my first finding result. The only malkoha with blue eye ring I could think of is Red-bellied Malkoha which is very rare seen.

Appreciate for any help in checking this ID. Thanks.

resize_PIC-20211219-072454-DSC00036-A7R3a.jpg

resize_PIC-20211219-072457-DSC00038-A7R3a.jpg

It's clearly a Red-billed Malkoha. The species has a chestnut belly and vent as well as the throat and upper breast.
Thank you so much Andy. Sorry my previous typo error "Red-bellied" instead Red-billed. I cross-checked it again, it is an adult, right? My initial thought it could be juvenile/immature because of its dull plumage.

Thank you so much Andy. Sorry my previous typo error "Red-bellied" instead Red-billed. I cross-checked it again, it is an adult, right? My initial thought it could be juvenile/immature because of its dull plumage.
It looks fairly normal to me. Looking at images on OBI, it seems a juvenile should show a dark tip to the bill and pale tips to the greater coverts - see Oriental Bird Club Image Database : Red-billed Malkoha » Zanclostomus javanicus.

I'm very jealous by the way - I haven't seen this beauty yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back