• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile bird, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Location: Lowland secondary forest, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo
Date: August 2023

Need help to id this bird. I believe it is still a juvenile but I can't be sure it belong to which species. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

PIC-20230810-092319-DSC00570.JPG

Looks like a juvenile Bulbul - Penan? What was the exact location?
Thanks for the reply Andy. This was taken in Sibu, central region of Sarawak. I notices a faint yellowish eyering that I don't believe Penan has. Could this be juvenile Spectacled Bulbul? There were positive sighting of Spectacled as well as Charlotte's in the vicinity, albeit the population was underreported.

Clearly a juvenile Bulbul in the last throws of post-juvenile body moult with the head in heavy moult, the apparent 'yellow' eyering resulting from complete feather loss and not yet replaced. Bill structure and colouration are wrong for juvenile Spectacled, bill is too long, even accounting for feather loss around base, and would be blacker in colouration with a pink base.

I would suggest juvenile Charlotte's a more likely option. They still have dark eyes at this age.

Grahame

Clearly a juvenile Bulbul in the last throws of post-juvenile body moult with the head in heavy moult, the apparent 'yellow' eyering resulting from complete feather loss and not yet replaced. Bill structure and colouration are wrong for juvenile Spectacled, bill is too long, even accounting for feather loss around base, and would be blacker in colouration with a pink base.

I would suggest juvenile Charlotte's a more likely option. They still have dark eyes at this age.

Grahame
I agreed with @Grahame Walbridge esp the bill part. Also not aware the eyering could be due to feather loss. That's a good point to take note. Thanks.

Also thanks @andyb39 for helping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back