• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Hawk, but which one? (1 Viewer)

kcactionphoto

While shooting abaseball tournament, I spotted what I thought to be a large Red-Tailed Hawk flying through the trees at the car park. I followed him to a large nest with three chicks(?) in it. The brush is fairly heavy so finding a good vantage was tough especially with the high winds.

Can anyone help with an ID? The underside of tail and wings was predominantly white and the belly was white and dark brown variegated. These particular birds where about the size of a full grown chicken. The backs kind of looked like a Red-Shouldered Hawk, but these young birds are quite a bit larger than the other Red-Shouldereds I have seen in the area. I figure either Red-Tail or Sharp-Shinned.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

I've not familiar with fledgling hawks, but if the streaking pattern in the fledglings looks anything like the immature and adult hawks, I think they're red-shoulders, not red-tails.

Went back today and saw the parents. A pair of very large Red-Tailed Hawks took turns feeding the brood and keeping watch on me. These three hawklings are probably a week away from flight, they kept jump-hovering over the nest and are venturing out on limbs to roost now. The nest is about 30 feet from the ground and it is truly amazing to listen to the adults whooshing through the trees to the nest. They simple pull in their wings and weave through the limbs like its a ski slalom. No break in speed at all.

The coloring of the juveniles is probably a defensive measure as they literally blend into the tree bark around them.

Jeff Hopkins, my apologies. I finally got a good look at the adult this afternoon. Definitely a Red-Shouldered. The adults are both huge. The fledglings are easily the size of a full grown chicken. The adults looked to be about 4 or 5 feet in wingspan. Hunting is good in the area. During the two hours I was there the adults brought two small snakes and a squirrel for the fledglings. Those juveniles are hungry little buggers. they polished off the squirrel in about 5 minutes.

Jeff Hopkins, my apologies. I finally got a good look at the adult this afternoon. Definitely a Red-Shouldered. The adults are both huge. The fledglings are easily the size of a full grown chicken. The adults looked to be about 4 or 5 feet in wingspan. Hunting is good in the area. During the two hours I was there the adults brought two small snakes and a squirrel for the fledglings. Those juveniles are hungry little buggers. they polished off the squirrel in about 5 minutes.

Did you mean red-tailed?
Scott

Jeff Hopkins has guessed that the juveniles were Red-Shouldered Hawks based on their coloring. I had seen the adults flying amongst the trees and thought they were Red-Tails. It turns out that he was correct after all.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back