• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Köyceğiz & Mugla area - SW Turkey (2 Viewers)

Hi Paul
I made a trip with friends to Koycegiz lake today. We ultimately ended up on the very small beach at the end of the Kordon.
24 Black Storks over
2 Pygmy Cormorants flew over towards the marsh behind the beach

Behind the beach in the canal
Common Sandpiper
Warbler sp in reeds (didn’t get a good sighting)
Cetti’s warbler calling

From the bridge across the road in field alongside marsh area.
22 Little Egret
Glossy Ibis

Lots of Greenfinch in the palms along the Kordon

Lots of mayflies emerging providing the Swallows with easy pickings

Last edited:
Hi Paul
I made a trip with friends to Koycegiz lake today. We ultimately ended up on the very small beach at the end of the Kordon.
24 Black Storks over
2 Pygmy Cormorants flew over towards the marsh behind the beach

Behind the beach in the canal
Common Sandpiper
Warbler sp in reeds (didn’t get a good sighting)
Cetti’s warbler calling

From the bridge across the road in field alongside marsh area.
22 Little Egret
Glossy Ibis

Lots of Greenfinch in the palms along the Kordon

Lots of mayflies emerging providing the Swallows with easy pickings
Have only just seen this- I don’t get a notification oddly. Glad you made it and well done on the Storks, never seen that many together.

20/04/23

1st day back from the Uk. Started the morning with a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker from bed, then over the course of an hour around the flat 3 Collared Flycatchers, 1 Spotted Flycatcher, 1 Wood Warbler, 1 Sardinian Warbler , 3 Willow Warblers, 1 Golden Oriole (male sat quietly atop a Mulberry tree), several Lesser Whitethroats, 2 Greater Whitethroats. Red Rumped Swallows are back in good numbers. Hopefully making use of what I’m presuming is last years nest on our kitchen balcony.
Tried catching up with friends around lunchtime at Yangı but inevitably drifted off birding. 1 Black Redstart, 2 Cirl Bunting , Steppe Buzzard, Harrier Sp, Corn Bunting, Serin, White Stork,
Onward to the denuded river where a Greenshank was hanging around with a Squacco Heron & Little Egret. On the dump was a Woodchat Shrike, Northern Wheatear , Yellow Wagtail , Linnet flock, Serins, Meadow Pipit. Over the back of the dump where there’s a seemingly inaccessible area of marsh 2 Glossy Ibis, 8 Cattle Egret and up to 20 Little Egret flushed and then settled, presumably by a female Marsh Harrier.
In the marshside woods 1 of each Syrian & Greater Spotted Woodpeckers were nicely visible and Green could be heard.
Back up the dirt road I moved a Green Tortoise back to the woodland, A large Whip Snake also crossing here. A Bee-eater flock could be heard, before a couple of stragglers settled briefly. Another Woodchat Shrike here on the meadow wire fence. I’ve seen all 4 local Shrikes on this fence and it’s always worth a look. Lots of Warblers , including several Eastern olivaceous, Cetti’s, Reed, Zitting Cisticola, Blackcaps. 1 Hoopoe along the dirt road which was a favoured spot last year also. More Squacco Herons amongst the river bed foliage.
Later in the afternoon brought a male Peregrine using a pylon as viewpoint and a Tree Pipit in the grove next to us.

Last edited:
21/04/23

A slight difference in route today, 08.00 set off , quick spin out to Hamitkoy then back via town to send my regards to friends celebrating Eid.
The roads and byways were virtually empty apart from the regular Goatherds.
Highlights only.
2 Collared Flycatcher (garden & riverside wood) , Moustached Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, sighted& heard along the Hamitkoy road ditches & reedbeds, many Eastern Olivaceous Warblers, Eastern Orphean Warbler - 1, Zitting Cisticola- several, Common Nightingale - several, Greater Short-Toed Lark- dump, Northern Wheatear - 2, Cretzschmars Bunting - pair on land before dog sanctuary, Yellow Wagtail, Whinchat, Corn Buntings, Masked Shrike- 2, Woodchat Shrike - 2, Turtle Dove - 3 perched in the open on meadow dead tree, 1 Temmincks Stint (not Little Stint as 1st written, long day) -on dredged river bank, presumably flushed from beach, Little Ringed Plover pair,1 Common Sandpiper, Greenshank, 7 Squacco Herons, 1 Little Bittern , White Stork, Cattle Egret - 7, Skylark,Water Pipit-1, Willow Warbler - 1, Spanish Sparrow - 3, 1 Little Crake- last years place for the Crake and Water Rail has now been dredged & cleared, todays was on an odd little roadside pond that has a natural screen of Reeds , occasionally something good on there.
Scops & Little Owl calling through the night. Scops Owl calling right now as I type.

Last edited:
23/04/23

A relatively idle day. Garden & local area from balcony.
Pied Flycatcher pair- calling thankfully otherwise I’d not have clocked them. 1 or 2 Spotted Flycatchers, Bee-eater flock of 25 or so, Sparrowhawk wreaking havoc amongst the finches, 1 Alpine Swift- probably a vagrant Irish bird (just messing before I get a response), Masked Shrike - field opposite, usual Warblers but one Sylvia call I struggled with. Hopefully another go at it tomorrow.
1 Goldcrest, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - drumming outside the kitchen.
Distant Nightingale calling now- hoping for one close to the flat , they’re everywhere else.

25/04/23

Started with a Red Backed Shrike, one of 12 throughout the morning. Also Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, ChiffChaffs, Willow Warbler, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Common kestrel, White Stork all within view of the flat.
More Tortoise relocation on the way. Couple of distant snakes across the Toparlar dirt road and a Grass Snake sunning on a drain cover.
Masked & Woodchat Shrike both on Gelişim pasture land. Several more later across the dump, farm & marsh land. Middle Spotted Woodpecker on the woodland edge, a couple of Common Nightingales on view briefly during song, Reed, Cetti’s , Great Reed Warblers, along the river , lake and roadside ditches. A singing Marsh Warbler was atop a bush in the scrub area between meadow & woodland. Also here 2 Turtle Doves, Bee-eater flock 2 of several Yellow Wagtails, Sedge Warbler. Zitting Cisticola, Lesser Whitethroat & Greater Whitethroat common from the dump onwards to Hamitkoy.
The dump and dump side path had all 3 Shrikes, 1 Tawny Pipit, 1 Northern Wheatear, 3 Penduline Tits, a red tailed Shrike that gave me some palpitations but eventually on better view looked right for Red backed, Ortolan Bunting as last year grubbing around close to the path and could have been easily overlooked as Sparrow or Linnet. 1 Whinchat also here.

1 Savi’s Warbler singing openly- in the slightly eerie area right at the end of the dump path, push through the grass & reeds and there’s a large clearing. Careful of Wild Boar here! Also Little Bittern back & forth presumably nesting near by.
The river/canal held 4 Little Stint immediately beneath the bridge, I even managed a terrible video. At the far end 1 Glossy Ibis, 2 Squacco Heron, 1 Purple Heron plus Little Egrets. Squacco Heron was common from where the water/vegetation starts in the river bed right up to the lake.
Hamitkoy roadside- 3 Great White Egrets , 2 Grey Herons in treetops. 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Buzzard Sp, Corn Bunting, Water Rail, 1 Mallard (!), Moustached Warbler along drainage ditch. White Throated Kingfsher at the Hamitkoy bridge. Distant though and I still haven’t got a regular clear site for this bird though another birder regularly records them from Eskikoy- a little out of my cycling range currently.

Later 1 Whiskered Tern resting on a kayaking marker, a Pygmy Cormorant fishing off the beach reedbed and a Sparrowhawk carrying a Greenfinch. Greenfinch is extremely common here now, their song the dominant call taking over from winters Chaffinches (though not the numerous Cockerels all around town).

Any visiting birders would be well advised to hire a bike from town. The area is too large to cover by walking and driving means you miss picking up birds on sound. Plus there are lots of micro sites worth brief stops on each route. Happy to advise on any worthwhile routes for visiting birders.

26/04/23
Grey, windy and raining since midday.
1 Whiskered Tern on the lake.
Great Spotted Cuckoo pair in the Orange grove next door.
Pallid Swift - small flock flying low over Gulpinar as the weather kicked in.
Scops Owl -calling close to the flat around 2am.

Last edited:
27/04/23

Thunderstorm threatening all day after intense downpour throughout the night & early morning.
20 + Bee-eaters , 1 Redstart , 2 Spotted Flycatchers, White Stork, Green, Lesser Spotted & Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, Alpine Swift flock, Corn Bunting, Red Rumped Swallows. Around the flat & garden.

29/04/23
Superb pair of Short Toed Snake Eagles slowly over the flat then mobbed by Hooded Crows across the opposite field.
Female Redstart, plus singles of Collared & Spotted Flycatcher

30/04/23
Great Spotted Cuckoo , Red Backed Shrike - both garden

Last edited:
01/05/23
It’s Labour Day here, also a bank holiday.
Highlights only.

A pair of Collared Flycatchers in the Mulberry outside.Interesting to see how long these stay for, I’ve been hearing/seeing them on and off for over a week.
Several male Red backed Shrikes today, dotted around my route , it’s been mainly females before today. 2 Masked Shrikes on the pasture close to home. Several Nightingales along the river / woodland path with plenty of the usual warblers plus an Eastern Orphean & Eastern Subalpine Warbler in the scrub area. A Wood Warbler on the edge of the wood here also and after a little work a calling Eastern Bonellis Warbler showed nicely just within the beehive wood.

The start of an odd morning of wading birds began where the river bed still holds water and vegetation. A Marsh Sandpiper in close attendance with a Squacco Heron on one of the river sills. A minute down the path and a Wood Sandpiper appeared from cover next to another Squacco Heron. Another Wood Sandpiper flushed by a goat flock further on. Fast forward an hour and a splendid summer Bar tailed Godwit , with a Ringed Plover & Common Sandpiper on the stripped out area of river next to the dump. This has now got more of a shoreline after the winter rain and it looks like waders flushed from the lake beach come here. A Little Crake picked its way amongst the detritus of plastic bottles where the river curves into the lake.

The dump & surrounds produced a bright Red Throated Pipit, several Yellow Wagtails including a Supercilliaris type, Turtle Dove, Little Bittern, Tawny Pipit, Sand Martins. Again Savi’s Warbler was singing in the area beyond the dump path. 2 Penduline Tit also quietly present here.

2 Kentish Plover were busy avoiding the attention of a couple of dogs on the lake beach as I left.

Back home. A lucky glance caught a female Golden Oriole landing in one of the garden trees. Then 20 minutes patience before I got a reasonable view. Also a male Goshawk putting the wind up everything in the neighbourhood before setting off hunting over the nearby farmland.

Last edited:
I spent the morning helping my landlord stacking and chopping wood to the sound of the Orioles, Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, Bee-eaters, Spotted Flycatcher, Garden Warbler etc. Turns out the chainsawed trees from yesterday were on his land borders (which I refer to as garden ) and his new neighbours insisted , with the potential for legal action, he cut 4 Mulberry trees down because they fear the roots will damage their pool. He’s lived here all of his 73 years, neighbours have been here 6 months. The word that rhymes with anchors is coming to mind quite strongly.

Sad story Paul
It’s no better here in the uk

I used to get upto a 100 Redpoll here in Cheshire winters.
From my bedroom window I reckon that my neighbours and gardens upto 200 metres away have cut down 50-80 mature trees during the last 5 years, haven’t seen a Redpoll in the garden since

Sad story Paul
It’s no better here in the uk

I used to get upto a 100 Redpoll here in Cheshire winters.
From my bedroom window I reckon that my neighbours and gardens upto 200 metres away have cut down 50-80 mature trees during the last 5 years, haven’t seen a Redpoll in the garden since
True- in the year before I left London I was hearing of mature trees being cut down locally because they were a threat to more recently built extensions.
That new swimming pools are allowed here is ludicrous at a time when it’s apparent rainfall is not topping up reservoirs adequately. Artesian wells have been banned in new builds as the water table is dropping. The irony is people move here for the natural beauty, then cut down trees, pave or put a lawn over the soil, and allow chemical runoff from maintenance/cleaning/ herbicides/insecticides to pollute the drainage channels that run from mountain through town into the lake.

Last edited:
04/05/23
The day started heavy and overcast then an afternoon of dramatic thunderstorms and torrential rain. This as usual resulted in a frenetic period of bird activity. All birds seen from flat or garden.
Golden Oriole pair- back & forth throughout the day, singing regularly , never easy to see except when flying across to a Medlar tree in a neighbouring garden.
Wryneck- ground feeding bird in the grove next door. Also heard singing late afternoon.
Green Woodpecker pair- causing a little visual confusion at times with the female Oriole.
Tawny Owl - day flying across opposite field.
Subalpine Warbler - in scrub on neighbouring overgrown land.
Bee-eaters- at least 70 counted clearly though likely to have been more as they circled regularly across the sky with many individuals out of sight. The sound was incredible, flocks usually of 20 ish so this was unusual.
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - pair as usual though both feeding closely together.Usually singly.
Goshawk - pair seen together for first time in a few weeks
Glossy Ibis - 8 from the balcony. Presumably to Hamitkoy marsh.

Last edited:
05/05/23
Mainly highlights. Multiples of most species were seen.
A night of heavy rain broke for a couple of hours so I started the early morning in the garden with a vocal Great Spotted Cuckoo, a male Collared Flycatcher, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Spotted Flycatcher & the Golden Orioles. Rain settled in again until late morning when it eased and the Bee-eaters came down low across the grove, garden & fields in flocks of 20 or so.
As the Bee-eaters were settling on power lines I had a good look down the one that runs off into the distance in the fields opposite and picked up on two birds fairly close to me. One being a male Great Spotted Cuckoo and the other a Lesser Grey Shrike drying itself off. Further off 3 Turtle Doves (later to be 6) also sat preening. The regular Raven pair kindly passed around this time too.
The break in rain gave me the impetus to get on the bike and see if I could find the other 3 local Shrike species before the next storm started. Red Backed Shrike was easy, on the next piece of land and several throughout the day. By now the regular warbler species, Serin & Long legged Buzzard had also been seen.
Across to the dry river bed and a Northern Wheatear plus the first of many Common Nightingales in orange grove and woodland. Plenty of Squacco Herons along here, a path-feeding White Stork, Yellow Wagtails, Cattle & Little Egret, plus Steppe Buzzard. I took a brief diversion into the wood here and had good views of Syrian Woodpecker in a clearing , whilst Green & Greater Spotted could be heard.
In the meadow a Masked Shrike was hunting from the wire fence , and my first Rufous Bush Robin (are we still calling them that?) of the year appeared from the woodland scrub almost beneath it. Zitting Cisticola flitted back & forth and a Skylark was overhead.
Onto the river channel which I shall have to fix a name too. It’s so bloody bare, like a flooded scrape on an abandoned Lancashire open cast mine site, I can’t really call it the river anymore. This time last year it was a densely vegetated, fish rich channel. In its new identity as a Wigan Flash at least picking out waders is a lot simpler. A nice bright Curlew Sandpiper halfway along from the bridge was a surprise and right at the back where the reedbeds begin 2 Black Winged Stilts fed.
I didn’t venture down the river path as a local builder was filling his trailer with spoil on the dump & a carload of young men were hanging out on the path itself. This wouldn’t bother me so much, as it’s not particularly threatening, if they’d just take their crap with them afterwards.
Moving on. The overgrown marsh behind the dump has so much promise but is largely inaccessible. So a glimpse of Purple Heron & Great White Egret were welcome. Wood Sandpiper could be heard too. Oh for a Tower hide here. I have visions of a Bharatpur of old behind the trees.
3 Night Herons were roosting across the road in the flooded Sweetgum wood. A Cretzschmars Bunting pair again on the land by the dog sanctuary road and Water Rail heard from the reedbed opposite. Easter Orphean Warblers & Sardinian showed well along the field margins here.
Just over the first little road bridge is an expanse of marsh worth a stop. 2 Grey Herons & 5 Glossy Ibis passed in the distance and the first of 3 Marsh Harrier sightings.
What I lazily expected to be another ubiquitous Crested Lark rising from the field edge turned out to be a cracking Calandra Lark. There’s such a profusion of bird life on some days here that I obviously miss a lot just through wanting to move onto the next site without distraction from common species. One day I’ll park myself in one spot for several hours and grill the place.
A Common Kingfisher shot up one of the dykes but no White Throated for me today. Penduline Tits were amongst the reedbeds and scrub and Corn Buntings sang loudly along the route.
A rumble of thunder (and stomach) sent me back towards town. 5 Whiskered Terns just visible beyond the beach reed edges. After getting to the marina end of the Kordon I settled down for a beer and kofte only to see a couple of distant terns. Another look revealed a long distant flock spread right across the lake. Mainly White Winged Terns but with some Whiskered in there & 3 Black Terns separately picking their way along the Kordon edge. The whole flock must have been well over a hundred but was probably much higher as I couldn’t see the front birds and there were many further back towards the small island.
I should add I counted 3 separate Golden Oriole singing along the Kordon plus a Nightingale from Iskele cafe. Also from Iskele- a White Stork circling over the wood & a superb view of Alpine Swifts drinking from the lake at high speed. Magnificent birds.
Final push for home, having still not seen my 4th Shrike when I glanced across the fields on my street and there… was a Roller. First this year and almost a garden tick. A good end to the day. I didn’t find a Woodchat though a trawl through the side streets would probably have found me one. Must try harder!

Last edited:
05/05/23
Mainly highlights. Multiples of most species were seen.
A night of heavy rain broke for a couple of hours and in the garden I started the early morning with a vocal Great Spotted Cuckoo, a male Collared Flycatcher, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Spotted Flycatcher & the Golden Orioles. Rain settled in again until late morning when it eased and the Bee-eaters came down low across the grove , garden & fields in flocks of 20 or so.
As they were settling on power lines I had a good look down the ones stretching into the distance in the fields opposite and picked up on two birds fairly close by. One being a male Great Spotted Cuckoo and the other a Lesser Grey Shrike drying itself off. Further off 3 Turtle Doves (later to be 6) also sat preening. The regular Raven pair kindly passed around this time too.
The break in rain gave me the impetus to get on the bike and see if I could find the other 3 local Shrike species before the next storm started. Red Backed Shrike was easy, on the next piece of land and several throughout the day. By now the regular warbler species, Serin & Long legged Buzzard had also been seen.
Across to the dry river bed and a Northern Wheatear plus the first of many Common Nightingales in orange grove and woodland. Plenty of Squacco Herons along here, a path-feeding White Stork, Yellow Wagtails, Cattle & Little Egret, plus Steppe Buzzard. I took a brief diversion into the wood here and had good views of Syrian Woodpecker in a clearing , whilst Green & Greater Spotted could be heard.
In the meadow a Masked Shrike was hunting from the wire fence , and my first Rufous Bush Robin (are we still calling them that?) of the year appeared from the woodland scrub almost beneath it. Zitting Cisticola flitted back & forth and a Skylark was overhead.
Onto the river channel which I shall have to fix a name too. It’s so bloody bare, like a flooded scrape on an abandoned Lancashire open cast mine site, I can’t really call it the river anymore. This time last year it was a densely vegetated, fish rich channel. In its new identity as a Wigan Flash at least picking out waders is a lot simpler. A nice bright Curlew Sandpiper halfway along from the bridge was a surprise and right at the back where the reedbeds begin 2 Black Winged Stilts fed.
I didn’t venture down the dump path as a local builder was filling his trailer with spoil on the dump & a carload of young men were hanging out on the path itself. This wouldn’t bother me so much, as it’s not particularly threatening, if they’d just take their crap with them afterwards.
Moving on. The overgrown marsh behind the dump has so much promise but is largely inaccessible. So a glimpse of Purple Heron & Great White Egret were welcome. Wood Sandpiper could be heard too. Oh for a Tower hide here. I have visions of a Bharatpur of old behind the trees.
3 Night Herons were roosting across the road in the flooded Sweetgum wood. A Cretzschmars Bunting pair again on the land by the dog sanctuary road and Water Rail heard from the reedbed opposite. Easter Orphean Warblers & Sardinian showed well along the field margins here.
Just over the first little road bridge is an expanse of marsh worth a stop. 2 Grey Herons & 5 Glossy Ibis passed in the distance and the first of 3 Marsh Harrier sightings.
What I lazily expected to be another ubiquitous Crested Lark rising from the field edge turned out to be a cracking Calandra Lark. There’s such a profusion of bird life on some days here that I obviously miss a lot just through wanting to move onto the next site without distraction from common species. One day I’ll park myself in one spot for several hours and grill the place.
A Common Kingfisher shot up one of the dykes but no White Throated for me today. Penduline Tits were amongst the reedbeds and scrub and Corn Buntings sang loudly along the route.
A rumble of thunder (and stomach) sent me back towards town. 5 Whiskered Terns just visible beyond the beach reed edges. After getting to the marina end of the Kordon I settled down for a beer and kofte only to see a couple of distant terns. Another look revealed a long distant flock spread right across the lake. Mainly White Winged Terns but with some Whiskered in there & 3 Black Terns separately picking their way along the Kordon edge. The whole flock must have been well over a hundred but was probably much higher as I couldn’t see the front birds and there were many further back towards the small island.
I should add I counted 3 separate Golden Oriole singing along the Kordon plus a Nightingale from Iskele cafe.
Final push for home, having still not seen my 4th Shrike when I glanced across the fields on my street and there… was a Roller. First this year and almost a garden tick. A good end to the day. I didn’t find a Woodchat though a trawl through the side streets would probably have found me one. Must try harder!
Fabulous report
Yearning to fly back to the village of Uzumlu
My local species list is not quite as prolific as yours Paul due to no waders, but I miss the regulars that I watch from the balcony.
One more year until I can sit there months on end 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back