• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kaeng Krachan open yet? (1 Viewer)

Gary F B

Does anyone know whether Kang Krachan is open? I know it closes for the rainy season, but I can't find information anywhere. It closed early this year because of those helicopter crashes.

The first couple of weeks after it opens are brilliant , the birds and mammals seem less shy.

Yes, tried to get in in October a few years back - disaster - it was closed. Apparently the roads need partially re-building after the wet season, so October is when they do that.

Of course it is not a definite date - I imagine it would depend on how much damage was caused and how quickly they can do it. It has been very wet again this year.

I'll be there again (touch wood) this December, hopefully all will be OK by then.

Does anyone know how to pre-arrange permits in advance - ideally I would like to get them sent to my accom. instead of using precious time buying them on the first day (office doesn't open at dawn - so first day's best birding time is lost)?

Cheers,

H

Even if you buy the permits early I am not sure that the gates will be open before 6 a.m.. The best way to get birding early is to camp at Ban Krang or at the Phanern Thung at the top of the road - no trouble from elephants up there and some great open views of the Ratchet Tailed Treepies along the nature trail just before the campsite.

Thanks John. Ironic that here in Thailand I can't find the info but you could!

Last edited:
Even if you buy the permits early I am not sure that the gates will be open before 6 a.m.. The best way to get birding early is to camp at Ban Krang or at the Phanern Thung at the top of the road - no trouble from elephants up there and some great open views of the Ratchet Tailed Treepies along the nature trail just before the campsite.

Thanks John. Ironic that here in Thailand I can't find the info but you could!

Yes, on my second day I got to the entrance before first light & was let in straight away (probably near six am. anyway). Does anyone know if "camping" in a vehicle is allowed - or is a tent a requirement?

For anyone going in October, when the main access area is closed, you can still get in at Palau waterfall (many miles to the south) - but frustratingly the barrier doesn't open there until 8 am (if I remember correctly.)
I arrived there well before dawn one morning and, as the barrier wasn't manned, let myself in early. I was followed by a man on a scooter & returned to pay - but he wouldn't/couldn't take my fee at that time. After a bi-lingual non-understanding I drove back in & began birding at dawn!

The birding isn't as good and the path is along the river only, but it made up slightly for not being able to get to Bang Kran.

Yes, on my second day I got to the entrance before first light & was let in straight away (probably near six am. anyway). Does anyone know if "camping" in a vehicle is allowed - or is a tent a requirement?

For anyone going in October, when the main access area is closed, you can still get in at Palau waterfall (many miles to the south) - but frustratingly the barrier doesn't open there until 8 am (if I remember correctly.)
I arrived there well before dawn one morning and, as the barrier wasn't manned, let myself in early. I was followed by a man on a scooter & returned to pay - but he wouldn't/couldn't take my fee at that time. After a bi-lingual non-understanding I drove back in & began birding at dawn!

The birding isn't as good and the path is along the river only, but it made up slightly for not being able to get to Bang Kran.

Hi H,

I don't think you will get your permits pre-visit, checks, car registration and all that. This year I just turned up each time around 05.15-05.30 (six or so visits alone and with groups and the office was open) and was often the first through the gate as it opened at six. There is a new director (not good) and he is enforcing the rules and adding a few of his own it seems.

I had no problem 'camping' in the car (4wd sealed pick-up), they still charge the fees and you will get checked for the tickets. I stayed four nights without hassle at both campsites, eating in the restaurants, getting early coffee's etc so yes enjoy. I only had one problem with the guards when I returned late from the 'drinking' pool, deliberately of course. They sent out a team to 'fetch us' before then getting a dressing down about the dangers in the rangers office. Ironically, their big worry with problem elephants soon dissipated when I pointed out that one was currently smashing the edge of camp up and that I was actually safer on the road :-O

When I was last there, there was a hell of a lot of work going on between the two camps with heavy machinery, lots of workers, levelling streams etc. From what I understand, this has now been completed so it should be good which it was anyway despite the disturbance. Bruce Kekule covered it briefly here - http://brucekekule.com/2011/03/

I wonder if that White-fronted Scops will be at Ban Krang this season.

Avoid Friday to Monday if you can.

Last edited:
With a Sat Nav option ;)

Oh, yes! Though the last time I was there, heading up fro the south, the SatNav had us going over rough terrain, including a six foot 45 degree mud slope where they were in the middle of rebuilding the road!

Could see where the road re-started half a mile distant and the 4x4 was up to the task! Nightmare if it had been in the dark!

KKNP usually opens 1st Nov, however if this is dependent upon the completion of road repairs it may be that opening is delayed this year as the government may well have diverted resources to deal with the flooding crisis.

Best to check with the National Parks dept in the first instance.

Last edited:
Off to Kaeng Krachan on Wednesday for a couple of nights. LPB and Khok Kham are on the cards too. Can't wait to try out my new canon 300 mm L f4 :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back