• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kaikoura South Island New Zealand (1 Viewer)

Ian Cockburn

Help needed for identification! Many thanks. Southern Royal Albatross? / Gibson's Wandering Albatross???

Attachments

• IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8878.JPG
    IMG_8878.JPG
    916.7 KB · Views: 25
Great pictures, Ian!

I’ll try to help but as always, I’m no expert (only one bird-watching trip to NZ and there were only 12 species of Albatross then). I’ll start with #0256. According to Harrison’s Seabirds, An Identification Guide, the black line along the bottom of the upper mandible (the cutting edge or cut line) is diagnostic to the Royal Albatross and the eye shape supports Royal. The wing pattern says Southern. I would expect Northern to show much blacker wings.

Image # 0204 and # 0159 I think are both Gibson’s due to bill shape and the faintest trace of pink ear coverts, and because the Scofield/Stephenson Birds of New Zealand says this species is more likely in NZ waters than Wandering. The flying bird looks very similar to internet photos of Gibson’s taken off NZ’s South Island.

# 0887 and # 0230 appear to be the same species (same bird?) which may also be Gibson’s, but if someone wanted to argue for Wandering/Snowy, I could easily be persuaded.

I hope this gives some ideas towards IDing these great photos.

If you are still there, pop in to Albatross Encounters and ask if Gary or Debbie (not absolutely sure that’s her name though) are available ?
Gary has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the birds of the area and I did a few trips out of Kaikoura with Debbie (?) and she is also very knowledgeable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back