• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kannur Warbler 5 : Kannur, Kerala, India (1 Viewer)

Hello all , please help me id this warbler from Kannur , Kerala, India. The picture was taken in the second week of February 2024. I think it is a Booted Warbler.
Jayan Thomas.

Attachments

• Booted Warbler 24-2-4-58.jpg
    Booted Warbler 24-2-4-58.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Booted Warbler 24-2-4-60.jpg
    Booted Warbler 24-2-4-60.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Booted Warbler 24-2-4-62.jpg
    Booted Warbler 24-2-4-62.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Booted Warbler 24-2-4-63.jpg
    Booted Warbler 24-2-4-63.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Booted Warbler 24-2-4-631jpg.jpg
    Booted Warbler 24-2-4-631jpg.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 37
Hello all , please help me id this warbler from Kannur , Kerala, India. The picture was taken in the second week of February 2024. I think it is a Booted Warbler.
Jayan Thomas.
No Jayan, it is a Blyth's Reed Warbler as Valery correctly advised above. Your bird has long undertail coverts, rounded tail, short 1st primary and a brown iris which confirm it as an Acrocephalus warbler rather than an Iduna warbler. Blyth's Reed is confirmed by narrow, pale supercilium extending beyond eye, uniform plumage (lacking dark centers to tertials), emarginations to 3rd and 4th primaries and medium length primary projection.

Your earlier post 'Kerala Warbler 3' is also a Blyth's Reed. Kerala Warbler 3 * Kannur, Kerala, India

Jayan, this is your fifth such post but you still have not taken the time to acknowledge any of the replies.

Grahame

Thank you Grahame for your detailed evaluation of the warbler. In spite of reading all about warblers , I feel that I am going wrong. I thought that I have replied to all the id verifications. I am really sorry if I have overseen them. I have more doubts too.
Thank You,
Jayan Thomas.

Hello Valery, I thought that the supercilium extend behind the eye and the head was round.
Hy Jayan. I've spent weeks in Kerala and neighbouring states. Blyth's Reed-Warbler is common and I've check hundreds of them, in hope of other species. This is how I realized the species looks variable. It can depend on light and the environment as well as real individual variations. Colour, supercilium, head shape, bill width... the voice is really helpful. It calls a lot, not to say all the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back