• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Katelios, Kefalonia (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

Familty holiday to Kefalonia next week, based in Katelios at the south.

Not overly expectant but possibly late enough for a little bit of eastern return passage. Thee is a small stream that runs all year that should attract the od migrant.

Any recommended sites or up to date information gratefully received.

The island boasts a population of Black Woodpecker, although I've yet to come across any birder who has seen one - unles syou know differently?

Rob Smallwood said:
Thanks - yours was the only report that I could find on T'Internet!

Have you been to Katelios before. If not, it's a beautiful area. It is a very level area that is surround by hills. Plenty of birdlife. There is a cafe on the beach where a stream runs into the sea that can be quite productive with the waders at times. The Scops Owls can be heard everywhere.

I did the whole island and the only wet area I could find was towards Livadi which as the head of the bay. You reach it on the Argostoli to Lixouri road. The wet area is (or was when I went there) part of a quarry and is situated at the bottom of a hill. You drive past a road on your right to Zola and when the road starts to drop look for a sharpish left hand bend. You can pull of onto a track that goes to the right. This is a good vantage point to look over the area below you. Once you have exhausted what you are looking at carry on further the road and it will level out at sea level. The sea is now close by on your left. Watch out for a right hand turn that goes up to the quarry works. This was excellent for a fair variety of yellow wags and Spanish Sparrows when I was there plus a fair colony of Red footed Falcons. You can go to the quarry works (best at weekends) and look down onto areas you couldn't see from the higher vantage point you stopped at earlier.

If you click onto the link I have called Livadi marshes (a name I made up) you will see the birdlife we saw there.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back