• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kingfisher - Trang An, Vietnam (3 Viewers)

beechwood

can anyone help me to id this kingfisher seen on 15th January at Trang An, Vietnam. Seems to me most likely Black-Capped Kingfisher with white band on neck not showing because of posture and angle. But some pictures of White-Throated Kingfisher though I can't see any brown in my photo.

Attachments

• DSCN1075a.JPG
    DSCN1075a.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
The long tail, dark eye and contrast between the flanks/belly and the crown would suggest Black-capped over White-throated. I suspect it is sitting at some weird hunched angle which is hiding the white collar, as well as making the markings on the crown appear to "bleed" down below the eye level (unless BCK subspecies is different in Vietnam?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back