• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

Tuesday the Kingfishers fledged along the River Cole.
Yesterday with the rain, the River Rea & Bourn were fast flowing, brown so I knew little chance.
I checked out the Bourn Brook & it was not so bad.
At the grey bridge I was looking in the right direction at the right time as the Kingfisher shot around the bend and went up Welches brook. Probably up the culvert.
I had an idea it might be favouring the hidden valley.
I did hear it last week as well.
4 Cormorants flew high overhead.

Although not as many as previous years, it's good to see some fish along the Bourn Brook.
I think it has more than the River Rea.
So it was not long yesterday before a Heron turned up and then a loud Kingfisher calling and tutting.
I think it was chasing another Kingfisher which I had just seen earlier, a flash of blue.
Also good to see some House Martins but they soon disappeared.

A good run early this morning along the Bourn Brook, River Rea & Bourn.
At the Bourn Brook blue bridge in the distance a bobbing juvenile Kingfisher landed in a tree quite high up.
There were 3 Little Egrets & a pair of Bullfinch along the River Rea.
I stopped at Kings Norton park and a Kingfisher called from the river.
Then at the Bourn, House Martins & a Grey Wagtail.

Sunday afternoon I went back to see the Bourn Brook Kingfisher, it was by the blue bridge.
Yesterday after the rain & storm I checked the Bourn Brook again. Whilst I was waiting, Kate was out as well. I told her where I'd seen the Kingfisher & the very next minute, it flew round the corner exactly where I said. Very funny. Later it was in the valley.
This morning out for a run and it was by the back by the blue bridge. I continued to the River Rea and for the first time in a couple months I saw a Kingfisher just before Canon hill park. Good to see it back.

I am enjoying running to the Bourn Brook, Kingfisher by the blue bridge.
Good to know there are still a family of Grey Wagtails along the Wood Brook, Weoley hill. Two were chasing whilst another did not fly off and I was metres away.
Valley Parkway boating pond, I could see the stickleback, a Buzzard landed in the adjacent trees and a Heron flew around calling.

It's just like the good old days/last year lol. A silent Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook. I've seen it every day. Then today a calling Kingfisher. Maybe its chased off a juvenile?
Even better was a calling Kingfisher up & down the River Rea. Then today a bigger surprise, a Dipper! It did some bobbing & then was gone. I searched up & down but did not see it again, just a Kingfisher or two flying up & down or sat over the river.

Last edited:
It's just like the good old days/last year lol. A silent Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook. I've seen it every day. Then today a calling Kingfisher. Maybe its chased off a juvenile?
Even better was a calling Kingfisher up & down the River Rea. Then today a bigger surprise, a Dipper! It did some bobbing & then was gone. I searched up & down but did not see it again, just a Kingfisher or two flying up & down or sat over the river.

Where was the dipper ? It's very early for a wintering bird so this might be one of breeding pair.

Where was the dipper ? It's very early for a wintering bird so this might be one of breeding pair.

Hi HF, the Dipper was on the weir next to Pebble mill playing fields. I check this stretch regularly & it's the first time I've seen one here. It could be the same one as reported on BTO along the Bourn Brook start of July. Others think it might be a juvenile.

The daily Bourn Brook Kingfisher.
Friday, the King's Norton River Rea Kingfisher in the corner of the playing field, Saturday, Rob saw it in the same place.
Saturday a Canon hill park Kingfisher calling at first light, Sunday afternoon I found some fish and the Kingfisher went past.

An early morning run for the Bourn Brook Kingfisher.
Then a run around Manor Farm park and I timed it just right for a calling Kingfisher flying off the Brook and across the lake. Never seen one across the lake before.
That might be the four/2 pairs that were along the Rea over Summer. 2 of which are still along the Rea.

Thanks for the heads-up, I checked out the area but could n't find dipper. This species is quite easy to see as long as you have a clear and unobstructed view of a stretch of watercourse, which isn't always the case here. I checked out the new permissive path along the Bourn Brook running through the old BBC site at Pebble Mill which has playing fields opposite and did find a K/f here, and this looks a great dipper spot with lots of rocks in the stream and a very open aspect . I also walked along the River Rea Walkway from Cannon Hill Park down as far as Dad's Lane, Selly Park past another area known as Pebble Mill fields ,but with no joy.

I checked out the new permissive path along the Bourn Brook running through the old BBC site at Pebble Mill which has playing fields opposite and did find a K/f here

Hi HF, was that the Bourn Brook next to the Dental Hospital & opposite the hockey field? Good to hear a Kingfisher is back there.
Kingfisher again by the Bourn Brook blue bridge.
If the Dipper is still about, its elusive.

yes, the old BBC site is now home to the Dental and Skin hospitals.

Thanks HF.
No Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook.
A Sparrowhawk instead, copying the route of the Kingfisher. It flew straight at me & then around me at the last minute. It was stunning.
A cycle ride along the River Rea.
Just for fun, a bad Kingfisher photo at the flood defence.
https://flic.kr/p/2jFj6dZ

Last edited:
4 King tails sightings this week....lol

3 at Mill Shrub,Bittell....every time I put my head above the hedges one flew off -one on Monday,Thursday and today.
1 at Wychall Resa......it must have been around the big round thing just before the water returns to the river as it flew up over the trees just as I was walking past and then it shot up along the cycle path.

4 King tails sightings this week....lol

3 at Mill Shrub,Bittell....every time I put my head above the hedges one flew off -one on Monday,Thursday and today.
1 at Wychall Resa......it must have been around the big round thing just before the water returns to the river as it flew up over the trees just as I was walking past and then it shot up along the cycle path.

Good to hear Keith.
Glad you saw one at Wychall. I've not seen one there for sometime. There was one at Kings Norton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back