• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite Ibis 7x42 ED (1 Viewer)

Peptogrillo, post 1,
In addition to my previous posts with regard to the Kite Ibis 7x42ED I collected it from the laboratory and with a quick examination found the following:
  • Handling comfort: excellent also due to open bridge
  • Eyecups with screw mount
  • FOV 124m/1000m
  • Close focus: approx. 1,5 m
  • Weight: appox. 730 g
  • Very smooth turning focussing wheel
I do not know anything about the price, but that can be found quickly probably.
It seems to me a strong competitor for the Leica 7x42
Gijs van Ginkel

Pepitogrillo, different posts,
I have tried to make a condensed overview for you of the performance of two 7x42's :
-1- The Leica HD-Plus 7x42 (indicated with L) and
-2- the Kite Ibis ED 7x42ED (indicated with K)
Weight: L=743g, K=725 g
Close focus: L=3,3m, K=1,4 m
Transmission: 500 nm L=86,8%, K=90,5% ,550 nm L=88,2%, K=92,5%
Eyerelief: L=17 mm, K=19mm
Price: L= 2040 euro in 2015, K=1100 in 2022
I hope that this helps.
Gijs van Ginkel

Pepitogrillo, different posts,
I have tried to make a condensed overview for you of the performance of two 7x42's :
-1- The Leica HD-Plus 7x42 (indicated with L) and
-2- the Kite Ibis ED 7x42ED (indicated with K)
Weight: L=743g, K=725 g
Close focus: L=3,3m, K=1,4 m
Transmission: 500 nm L=86,8%, K=90,5% ,550 nm L=88,2%, K=92,5%
Eyerelief: L=17 mm, K=19mm
Price: L= 2040 euro in 2015, K=1100 in 2022
I hope that this helps.
Gijs van Ginkel
Thank you @Gijs van Ginkel for the nice detailed comparison. If it is available could you please mention the transmission of Habichts 7 as well?
The FOV of Kite is right between Ultravid and Habichts. It seems kite also has a tunnel vision. It would be great if someone could post experience in real world birdwatching with kites.

Pepitogrillo and Viraj,
I made a mistake: te FOV of the Kite Ibis 7x42 is not 124 m/1000m, but 128m/1000m, while the Swarovski Habicht 7x42 porro has an FOV of 114m/1000m. The Leica Ultravid 7x42 has an FOV of 140m/1000m. I do not experience the FOV of the Kite as tunnelvision.
We measured transmission values of 94 % and even higher up to 96% for the 7x42 Swarovski, which has a close focus of 3,7m.
Gijs van Ginkel

Pepitogrillo and Viraj,
I made a mistake: te FOV of the Kite Ibis 7x42 is not 124 m/1000m, but 128m/1000m, while the Swarovski Habicht 7x42 porro has an FOV of 114m/1000m. The Leica Ultravid 7x42 has an FOV of 140m/1000m. I do not experience the FOV of the Kite as tunnelvision.
We measured transmission values of 94 % and even higher up to 96% for the 7x42 Swarovski, which has a close focus of 3,7m.
Gijs van Ginkel
Thank you very much @Gijs van Ginkel Then it seems Kite is a very good option for 7x42 format which is priced half of the Ultravid. I always wanted to by a 7x42 Ultravid.

Being a lover of the 7x42 format, I've been interested in the Ibis 7x42 for a number of years now. Reading here and there, I've found that the DDOptics EDX 7x42 seems to be a very similar product, probably made by the same manufacturer, but I don't know if to the same standard as the Kite, since the DDOptics can be found for a hair under 900 €, while the Kite is usually around 1000 €.

Canip has both the Ibis and the EDX in 8x42, and his comment in his wonderful «Binoculars Today» website is (bold is mine):

The DDoptics EDX 8×42 is virtually identical with the same size Kite Optics Ibis ED (see separate post https://binocular.ch/kite-ibis-8×42-ed/) and the Kahles Helia 8×42 (see separate post https://binocular.ch/kahles-helia-8×42/). Produced in Japan, it features an open central hinge and belongs to the upper middle class of binoculars. A bright image with good central sharpness, satisfactory off-axis sharpness, good correction of chromatic aberration, and good ergonomics make this a popular general purpose binocular. With 7.2 degrees, the field of view is a bit on the narrow side, compared to some of its competitors.

So maybe the DDOptics EDX 7x42 is also an option to consider. Not sure if it would reach the impressive test figures of the Kite (now, those are some impressive figures).

AFAIK a number of binos that DDoptics sells are the same as Kite's. Unfortunately the EDX 7x42 is no longer offered by DDoptics. You might still find one with sellers.
Found one here but I never ordered there, so I have no idea about how reliable the seller ist.

Edit: the best price would have been optik-pro.de which is the same shop as "astroshop.de" where I have ordered multiple times but they claim they have to order it -- so chances are high they cannot deliver and probably just dont't know that the bino was discontinued by the manufacturer. I had this happen before with another DDoptics bino. The resellers are not always up to date.

The price list I received from Sights of Nature (Belgium shop; I think they own Kite optics) one year ago, mentioned the price of 7x42 as 882 euros. They give an interesting 30 years warranty. You can ask for the current price through their website. They reduced the price more during their promotion period usually at the end of the year. I have to mention that they made a very good impression when I bought NL 8x42 from them.

Has anybody ever looked through them? What are the colours like and what about distortion and field curvature? Veiling glare?
"Better" specs and higher transmission values don't necessarily mean a better Image. Anyway, a very interesting bin.

BTW the street price of the UV+ is well below 2k. I bought mine from a respectable seller for 1600€ in 2020.

I am curious to hear more about the Kite.

jafritten, post 16,
Yes I have looked through them and actually a sample is now in front of me on my desk. Color reporoduction is very good, virtually no distortion, no field curvature and I have not been able to find any glare. The eyecups are extended in three steps and are fixed with a screw mount, so you can clean and replace them yourself. The focussing wheel takes 1,5 turns from close focus to infinity, the open space between the two binocular tubes is 6 cm, so suited for a pleasant grip for many hands. As far as I know the binocular is made by the same company that also makes the SFL binoculars for Zeiss. A pleasant binocular really.
Gijs van Ginkel

jafritten, post 16,
Yes I have looked through them and actually a sample is now in front of me on my desk. Color reporoduction is very good, virtually no distortion, no field curvature and I have not been able to find any glare. The eyecups are extended in three steps and are fixed with a screw mount, so you can clean and replace them yourself. The focussing wheel takes 1,5 turns from close focus to infinity, the open space between the two binocular tubes is 6 cm, so suited for a pleasant grip for many hands. As far as I know the binocular is made by the same company that also makes the SFL binoculars for Zeiss. A pleasant binocular really.
Gijs van Ginkel
Thank you, Gijs. So, it is a flat field design, right? What about off-axis sharpness and sweetspot?

jafritten, post 18,
No it is not a fully flat field design, sharpness at the very edges dececreases a tiny bit, but is immediately in focus by a very small movement of the focussing wheel. In that sense one can not speak of a sweet spot, since sharpness does not really go away. It is for my eyes a very pleasant image. I hope that this answers your questions.
Gijs van Ginkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back