• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 - best arca swiss plate? (1 Viewer)

rpg51

I have the sirui plate that came with my Sirui VH10x fluid head attached to the foot on my Kowa 883. The plate loosens from the foot, and it rotates on the foot. It is annoying because I like to use the scope itself as the arm to pan and tilt on the Sirui VH10x fluid head I am using, rather than the supplied video arm.

Is there a way to attach the plate more firmly so it will stay put? Or, is there another plate that wiill work better? I am considering converting to arca swiss for everything I attach to my tripods.

There should be a gold colored anti-rotation pin that (hopefully) fits into either the hole or slot on the bottom of the 883 foot.

I'm doubtful A-S style plates are interchangeable among manufacturer's and even in some cases they are not even among heads from the same manufacturer.

I have the same plate and same issue. As Alexis pointed out in another thread - the issue is the synthetic rubber they’ve integrated into the plate. My guess is they did that to minimize vibration but it disrupts a tight metal-to-metal fit and no matter how tightly I torque it down the screw even works it’s way loose. So, I’m also in search of a better plate to use with the VH-10X. Overall, it works fine but I certainly agree it is an annoyance.

And, Bill is right on about interchangeability - even the stock plates for the Sirui VH-10 and 10X are a few microns different.

Thanks. Yes the gold pin fits into the foot. Still, there is a little wiggle room. The plate mounting screw gradually works loose during use as I pan back and forth. It is very annoying and I worry if I don't pay close attention the scope could fall off.

I am considering putting an arca swiss clamp on the head. If anyone comes up with a solution please post it. I have a sirui VA 5 head which uses a sirui arca swiss plate. The head is great for a light weight travel support system, but not nearly as stable and easy to use as the VH10x.

Another member suggested this adapter which receives arca swiss plates apparantly but I have not found it locally and the thing is shipped from china and takes forever: iShoot Adapter for Arca fit Camera Quick Release Plate to GITZO Tripod Ball Head | eBay

Also, someone on a hunting forum suggested this: Sirui MP-20 Quick Release Plate Adapter

I may have to install the video arm - which I honestly do not want to do.

I am not sure if the VH 10x plate design is the problem or if its the Kowa foot. I'll try my other head with its arca swiss plate and see if it works better.

Last edited:
"...I am not sure if the VH 10x plate design is the problem or if its the Kowa foot. I'll try my other head with its arca swiss plate and see if it works better."

The issue is lack of a standard design of the plate-foot interface between manufacturers. I've raged about it for over 20 years. Images thru thousand dollar scopes ruined by lack of a stable support. One solution was Swarovski shaping their scope feet to fit into the Manfrotto 128RC head without a plate. Meopta did the same with the MeoStar S2. The new Kowa 99x models have TWO threaded sockets which should solve the problem in most cases.

Hi Bill,

There should be a gold colored anti-rotation pin that (hopefully) fits into either the hole or slot on the bottom of the 883 foot.

I'm doubtful A-S style plates are interchangeable among manufacturer's and even in some cases they are not even among heads from the same manufacturer.

In fact, I recently came across a page on the Arca Swiss website in which they published dimensions for a standard plate, as apparently they feel the customary poor interchangability between "A-S style" plates is giving them a bad name.

I had the same rotation problem with the Kowa 883 and solved it for myself by designing a plate with a recess for the foot, which uses the foot's forward edge to brace against unwanted rotation (see Quick release plate adapter to mount a "red dot" (reflector/reflex) sight to a spotting scope ). I 3D-printed my plate, and the tolerances were just right - plan B would have been to turn the forward edge of the recess in a screw-driven part to clamp down on the foot.

However, 3D printing in plastic is not as stiff as I'd like it to be, and while I acquired a little CNC mill in the meantime to perhaps be able to work with stiffer materials, an off-the-shelf solution would save so much time and effort that I'm surprised there's none available yet.

Regards,

Henning

A different approach:
I solved the "rotation problem" with my Kowa 883 by adding two anti rotation pins to a BERLEBACH base plate (which BERLEBACH claims as UniQ/C compatible, however, I only have BERLEBACH tripod heads). The problem was that the BERLEBACH plate had only one thread for a ISO 4 mm bolt and that the counterhole(s) (one is actually an elongated hole or slit) on the Kowa's foot is wider, about 4.8 mm. So I drilled a second respective hole for a 4 mm thread, and installed two 4 mm pins. Than I capped them with brass sleeves (inner diameter 4 mm) and grinded them to a 4.8 mm outer diameter. After installation there is no movement any more between foot and plate, in no direction. Using only a single anti rotation pin may not work sufficiently since the standard 1/4 inch attaching screw has some intrinsic play. Please see the attached photos for my setup.

KOWA_883_Fuss_1.jpgKOWA_883_Fuss_2.jpgKOWA_883_Fuss_3.jpg

I have to say, this is a real PIA that I did not anticipate. I wonder what KOWA has to say on the topic.
I wonder if a bit of loctite might help?

I've tried loctite without long term success. It might work if you could completely stop any movement at the pin. Perhaps some sort of shim, but it's difficult in a pin/hole of that size and tiny clearance. Perhaps a strip of tape around the pin. Or some sort of material to fill the hole and harden, but doesn't adhere to the pin.

Of course the best solution is the 99A with the proper screws.

I have to say, this is a real PIA that I did not anticipate. I wonder what KOWA has to say on the topic.
I wonder if a bit of loctite might help?
Loctite has its own issues, it is a serious pain to get rid of.
That said, I fully agree with Bill Atwood, the situation with plates and feet is just stupid.
The various manufacturers options don't fit or can't be stably fastened.
If the electronics industry, surely the most litigious business around, could find common ground with the USB C connector, there is no excuse for the optics industry to afflict us with multiple mounting plate non solutions.

It seems to me that you either make the foot so it fits the tripod clamps (as Swarovski apparently does), or you design a foot that will receive a plate with two screws or somehow prevent twisting of the plate at the connection with the foot.

I'm curious, does the new Kowa 99 solve the issue somehow? If so, that might push me over the edge.

It seems to me that you either make the foot so it fits the tripod clamps (as Swarovski apparently does), or you design a foot that will receive a plate with two screws or somehow prevent twisting of the plate at the connection with the foot.

I'm curious, does the new Kowa 99 solve the issue somehow? If so, that might push me over the edge.
It does based on a photo in the product brochure I downloaded, which is why I mentioned it.

A different approach:
I solved the "rotation problem" with my Kowa 883 by adding two anti rotation pins to a BERLEBACH base plate (which BERLEBACH claims as UniQ/C compatible, however, I only have BERLEBACH tripod heads). The problem was that the BERLEBACH plate had only one thread for a ISO 4 mm bolt and that the counterhole(s) (one is actually an elongated hole or slit) on the Kowa's foot is wider, about 4.8 mm. So I drilled a second respective hole for a 4 mm thread, and installed two 4 mm pins. Than I capped them with brass sleeves (inner diameter 4 mm) and grinded them to a 4.8 mm outer diameter. After installation there is no movement any more between foot and plate, in no direction. Using only a single anti rotation pin may not work sufficiently since the standard 1/4 inch attaching screw has some intrinsic play. Please see the attached photos for my setup.

View attachment 1399856View attachment 1399857View attachment 1399858
There is absolutely no need for two anti-rotation pins or two screws for a secure attachment of a QR plate. You just need to use the right parts.
IMO Kowa could not have done it much better on the 883. They have even provided a slot to accommodate plates with non-standard spacing of screw and anti-rotation pin. The latter should be 4,5 mm for the Kowa, which is the most common but 4 mm and 5 mm are sometimes also used.

Discard the 1/4" to 3/8" adapter and use a 3/8" screw. My 57 mm Berlebach plate came with a 4,5 mm pin and is a secure fit on my 883, merely tightened with a 20 cent coin. Berlebach have been using 4 mm recently (on their binocular tripod adapter and the 40 mm plate provided with the 510 head), so just ask them for a 3/8" screw and a 4,5 mm pin. Years ago they provided a modified 117 mm plate to fit my 65 mm Swaro at no extra charge.

I don't see any point in providing a scope foot to fit in a Manfrotto 128RC. This might have been the standard 15 years ago but today there are lighter and more stable video heads, which will allow fore and aft movement of the QR plate in the head to achieve balance.

Lastly, while conceding that there should be more compatibility within the Arca-Swiss suppliers, I think that just about any Arca-Swiss plate can be fitted to any Arca-Swiss head with a screw (not lever) clamp and that in many cases problems of safety retention can be surmounted.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back