• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 8x25 SV vs. BD Brief Comparison (2 Viewers)

has530

I had the opportunity today to try Kowa's budget and middle class compacts side by side in the field and figured I may was well write down my observations here for anyone trying to decide between the two (or who may be otherwise interested). In general I like both very much for their price and they share a surprising amount of similarities with some obvious differences I found quite interesting.

Build Quality: +BD
This is the major area in which the price difference makes itself known. The SV's feel solidly built with a solid feeling housing and high-quality rubber armor but there are some obvious cost cutting aspects. The eyecups are too short and made of cheap feeling plastic. The focuser is made of similar plastic and on my specimen has significant backlash/play when changing focus direction. In contrast the eyecups on the BD feel much nice and click firmly into place and are comfortable to use (likely to do with their larger radius as well due to the BD's larger eye lenses). The Focuser of the BD is also nice textured rubber and a joy to use. It has absolutely no play, is just the right speed, and larger making it much easier to use. It is worth noting that my specimens of the BD and SV and made in Japan and China respectively.

Compactness: +SV
One of the main reasons someone may get a compact binocular instead of at least 30mm of aperture is for their portability/small size/dimensions. In this regard the SV takes the cake. The double hinge design folds down much smaller into a handy belt look pouch. The BD has a single hinge design which while more robust and easier to use does limit their fold down size. The BD is also about 1/4" longer and 1 oz heavier.

FOV: dead even
The BD is spec'd 0.1 deg wider but focusing both to infinity and putting one up to each eye and facing a white wall I saw absolutely no difference.

Central Sharpness: dead even
This one surprised me but in a handful of controlled resolution tests both hand held and mounted and in the field I could see no difference at all in central sharpness (or edge sharpness except maybe the BD being a hair ahead right at the field stop but this may have to do with the ease of eye placement with its larger eyecups).

Contrast and brightness: +BD
This is the one striking area in which the BD excels. It has dark darks, bright brights, saturated colors, and a brighter image. It is not the brightest I have seen in this class (Kowa claims silvered prisms which may contribute) but it easily outguns the SV. The SV view is greenish while the BD is pinkish and looking down the barrels shows nicer AR coatings on the BD with much lower intensity reflections.

Glare: +BD
The aforementioned higher quality coatings probably help it best it's cheaper counterpart here but the interior tubes also look more matte. Neither control glare well at all but the BD definitely wins (the smaller dimensions of the SV also probably hurt it in this category).

Chromatic Aberration: dead even
Surprisingly going back and forth between the two I could see no difference which is a nice feat for the SV with it's smaller length. It is well controlled in both cases with slight CA in the center and low on the edges.

In conclusion, these two models share very similar optical qualities with the obvious difference in most cases being the attention to detail and build quality in the higher-priced japan-made BD. This gives advantages such as a brighter image with less glare and smoother focusing. Given that Kowa has claimed the SV was developed in tandem with the higher priced models and the optical similarities, I would not be surprised if they shared some optical components with the SV's lower price coming from the added costs of the mechanical details and Japanese labor costs. In the end I am keeping the SV as a through-hiking compact as if I would be willing to carry the single hinge BD I would be willing to carry something larger so they do not suit my needs for a "pocket" binocular.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up and try them out.

I've looked at the 8x25 bd a few time but the lack of reviews has put me off buying them for my walking/cycling adventures, not any more!

How did you find the bd's in terms of edge sharpness? I see you've mentioned it but could you make an i.d at the field stop or is it a bit blurry? That's one aspect my current small bino falls short on and unfortunately being spoilt by my regular birding bin it seems to matter more to me now.

When you mention it's not the brightest you've seen in its class in assuming your referring to the zeiss victory pocket, does it compare with those favourably overall?

Thank you.
Will

How did you find the bd's in terms of edge sharpness? I see you've mentioned it but could you make an i.d at the field stop or is it a bit blurry?
There is a slight softening in the outer 20% but nothing dramatic and I still feel like it would be no problem making an ID using that portion of the field. It is worth noting that at only 6.3 degrees it isn't the widest field so good edge performance should be achieved.

The brightness is not bad per say, I would place it below the zeiss VP and TED as well as the Swarovski CL but above the old swaro and nikon 8x20s. In the center it compares favorably to the VP giving up only a bit of chromatic abberation and color rendition. However, it does give up more than a full degree of FOV to the VP which has a much more "big bino" view than the ~50° AFOV in the Kowas.

My overall positive impressions of the SV series led me to make an impulse buy and I now also own the 10x25! In many of the "build quality" categories it is the same as the 8x25. Same slop in the focuser, same coatings (however the hinge tightness on this specimen is a little loose for me) but overall gives the same impression in the hands when when looking at them. However optically they are very different.

Where the 8x has ample ER for a pocket bino these are very short on ER...probably due to the fact that these have a quite wide AFOV; 65° by the simple formula. That is even wider than the Zeiss VP 10x25. In fact, it is wider than the 8x25 SV! You heard that right, the 10x25 has a wider true field than the 8x25 in this series! Other optical differences are the 10x handle glare a little better and have a little less CA in the center (I won't compare edges due to the vastly different subjective viewing angle). The 8x25  might be a bit sharper in the center but it's hard to really evaluate that for an 8x vs 10x. Color rendering is the same but the 8x is a little brighter (as expected). Another winner from kowa and highly recommended for their price if you want a budget 10x25 (a configuration I don't care for but my wife enjoys).

I wonder how the Kowa 8x22 compares with the cheaper two above.. Is it as bright?
I doubt it. The extra 3mm of aperture gathers 30% more light and I doubt either of the 25mm options have transmission under 70% with full multi coatings and silvered prisms. However the 8x22 does have a far wider FOV and is more compact and seems like a very nice product. I’ve never tried one as I have a Zeiss VP I am happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back