• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking recommendations/input… (2 Viewers)

tx2ad

United States
Howdy!

Have recently caught the bino bug…

Have an NL 8x32 and a Kowa BD 6.5x32. Previously had the Nikon TB ATB 10x25 but those are now “unusable” (age?:; obviously bested by the new glass, especially what now feels like the pinhole/straight-jacket view along with what now feels like a terribly imprecise and bad focus mechanism/ability).

Looking to try another pair. Was initially thinking something along the MHG or CL B or SFL in 8x30 (could get my hands on any for roughly the same price). After more reflection it seems to me that any of those would overlap too much with what I already have. Am now leaning towards trying a Kowa Genesis 8x22 or VP 8x25 or NL 12x42 (good deal on a used pair).

While I agree that my BD is not the optical equal of the NL the more I use them the more they grow on me in their own way.

Soliciting your input and advice for what you feel I might enjoy paired with what I already have and why.
Appreciate your suggestion/s especially if paired with a brief explanation.

Cheers!

Hi Tx2ad

I'll second Maljunulo's suggestion of enjoying what you have!

What do you want the other pair for?

An all day carry that's really small and light?

A big set for darker days, dawn, dusk and stars?

More reach for different habitats?

Do you already have a scope?

Will

If you were into astronomy I'd suggest a 10x50, but otherwise what be more complementary would be high-magnification stabilized binoculars like the Fuji TSX1440 (heavy!), the Kite APC 16x42 (no ED glass, has chromatic aberration) or the Sig-Sauer Zulu6 HDX that's probably made by the same OEM (Kamakura Koki of Japan) but supposedly with better glass.

Some people really like the view of classic Porro designs like the Nikon EII or the Swarovski Habicht.

If he wants another pair of binoculars, that is his decision. There is nothing wrong with having a few different pairs of binoculars of different magnifications and various sizes for different purposes. He didn't ask if he should buy another pair of binoculars. He has already decided he wants another pair. He is asking what kind of binoculars do you think he should get. You sound like his mother or his wife!
In all honesty if I had the 2 binoculars Tx2ad already has I would be quite content for most of my birding,

I'd definitely add a half decent scope for longer ranges and maybe hawk 7x50 or similar for low light as I use that capability personally and be done with it but he/she is not me, or you. Hence the other questions.

Tricky to recommend another pair without knowing what they're going to be used for but seriously, with good field craft your not going to miss many birds with an nl 8x32 and a scope are you?

Will

(A graduate of Texas A&M University), I presume?

Not quite. Rather, you have been bitten by an 18 foot long bino King Cobra...
Abandon Hope.

Have an NL 8x32 and a Kowa BD 6.5x32. Previously had the Nikon TB ATB 10x25 but those are now “unusable” (age?:; obviously bested by the new glass, especially what now feels like the pinhole/straight-jacket view along with what now feels like a terribly imprecise and bad focus mechanism/ability).

IMO with the NL 8x32 and the Kowa 6.5, you already have a great brace of complementary bins! The question thus becomes as you suggest - where to go next? Or whether as the more sober, more responsible, more reasonable, more expert, more level headed, non Irish, non Texan BF members suggest above, to stand fast and use and enjoy what you have for the time being to get a better feel for your next bin?

While I agree that my BD is not the optical equal of the NL the more I use them the more they grow on me in their own way.

Agree 100%. The BD 6.5x32 is one of my all time favorites, its compromises notwithstanding.

Looking to try another pair. Was initially thinking something along the MHG or CL B or SFL in 8x30 (could get my hands on any for roughly the same price). After more reflection it seems to me that any of those would overlap too much with what I already have. Am now leaning towards trying a Kowa Genesis 8x22 or VP 8x25 or NL 12x42 (good deal on a used pair).

I agree for now that you have the low magnification 30/32 mm field very well covered. Based on your real world use and preferences, would your get more use with a larger, heavier, higher powered model like the NL 12x42 or a high end "pocket" in 20/25 mm?

If higher magnification is the answer, then the NL 12x42 appears an excellent choice based on what I read here and on my ownership of several SW SV ELs including the FP 12x50.

If a "pocket" model is the answer, I would lean more toward the VP 10x25 (as opposed to the also excellent 8x) as it has the widest FOV of the 10x pockets and you already have the NL in 8x. I would only recommend the Kowa Genesis 8x22 if your can get it discounted from MSRP down into the $400 to maybe $450 range. At that level, the price to performance ratio probably makes more sense based on my regular use of the Genesis 10.5x44 versus various SW, Leica, Zeiss and Nikon EDG.

For me, when considering either a single bin or a complementary addition to the collection I already have, binoculars are like chess and boxing, the secret lies in combinations.

Mike

My policy has been to get a new optic when the ones I have do not meet my needs/wishes for observing,
but usually a different size, quality for a good variety.
See my sig below.

edj

Many of us have been guilty of this: Looking for an application to justify a new binocular instead of looking for a binocular for a specific application. ;)
A scope though is a whole new world!

John

Many of us have been guilty of this: Looking for an application to justify a new binocular instead of looking for a binocular for a specific application. ;)
A scope though is a whole new world!

John
Indeed!

And if binos still on your mind, the presence of a scope in the mix changes things... If you bought a scope, how would you view a 1242NL or 1250EL, for instance?

I would see if you could get a used canon IS 10x42L or 15x50 IS. The 10x42 L is said to rival alphas. And the 15x50 is a great all-rounder for day and night

I would get the NL 12x42 if you can get a good deal on it. You can't go wrong with a Swarovski, and if you don't like it, you can always sell it for almost what you paid for it. An NL 8x42 and NL 12x42 would make an excellent combo. Those two binoculars would cover almost all your needs.

Howdy!

Soliciting your input and advice for what you feel I might enjoy paired with what I already have and why.
Appreciate your suggestion/s especially if paired with a brief explanation.

Cheers!
With the Kowa 6x5x you have your wide FOV short distance birding covered. I have the same bin, I love it, will never get rid of it.
With the 8x32 you have your mid range birding covered.

I'd consider adding a 10x42. 10x is my go to magnification for any serious birding, meaning I don't want to miss any ID's. There are many circumstances where an 8x just doesn't quite give me the reach I need to confirm an ID. For example a warbler species at the top of a 70ft tree. 10x almost always gets me the ID. 10x is still easy enough to hold steady with a decent FOV, whereas 12x is getting more difficult for steadiness and there is less FOV.

I recommend researching the Tract Toric 10x42. Best bang for buck under $1K in my opinion. They just had a $100 off sale, not sure if it's still going on. I have had the Tract Toric 10x42 for around 6 years. I use it more than all my other bins. Only time I grab a bin over the Toric 10x, is for specialty purposes. Or if I'm just birding for the pure enjoyment, and don't care if I miss an ID. Then I'm probably grabbing the Leica Ultravid HD Plus 7x42.TractToric1.JPG20230717_075605.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

I do live in TX. Grew up and graduated on the east coast.

I do not yet have a scope and have been doing research on that front as well. Any suggestions on how to dip one’s toe in that water?

Have been using my bins for astronomy lately - I viewed Jupiter and all four Galilean Objects early morning this week.

On the suggestion of the VP in 10x - I am a tad worried that the much smaller fov compared to my others would detract from my enjoyment. Thoughts? I feel like maybe we should trade/sell our 8x NL for the 10x, and then add the 8x VP. I am sure we would enjoy the 10x NL as much as or more than we enjoy the 8x.

On the suggestion of going image-stabilised: most of the specs I have read indicate very narrow fov: is that just the price of entry? Assuming I do not have the ability to hold the 12x NL as steady as a statue: is the consensus that IS bins give a much cleaner view over a 12x, so hang onto some cash and get a decent IS?

Cheers,
Mike

On the suggestion of going image-stabilised: most of the specs I have read indicate very narrow fov: is that just the price of entry? Assuming I do not have the ability to hold the 12x NL as steady as a statue: is the consensus that IS bins give a much cleaner view over a 12x, so hang onto some cash and get a decent IS?
From what I’ve researched on this, the answer is yes.

Although when it comes to small fov, the 10x42 L and the 15x50 give good fov with good AFOV (immersive view).

If you like astronomy, I would try the 15x50 canon. It’s now my all-rounder bino for day and night. I love being able to check out wildlife during the day and then being able to check out night time In objects like Jupiter and the Orion Nebula, (which really transforms when you go 15x and higher)

I think IS would definitely give you a fun/different experience than the binos you already have. But those are Just my thoughts 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

I do live in TX. Grew up and graduated on the east coast.

I do not yet have a scope and have been doing research on that front as well. Any suggestions on how to dip one’s toe in that water?

Have been using my bins for astronomy lately - I viewed Jupiter and all four Galilean Objects early morning this week.

On the suggestion of the VP in 10x - I am a tad worried that the much smaller fov compared to my others would detract from my enjoyment. Thoughts? I feel like maybe we should trade/sell our 8x NL for the 10x, and then add the 8x VP. I am sure we would enjoy the 10x NL as much as or more than we enjoy the 8x.

Cheers,
Mike
I've only used 1 IS bino, it was a Canon, can't recall which model. The chromatic aberration was awful to my eyes. Worse I'd ever seen.

I'd recommend having a think about (a) what you are currently doing as far as birding is concerned, and (b) is there any other type of birding (or other types of observation for that matter) you'd like to be doing? That will in turn influence (a) whether you need a new binocular and (b) what its configuration will be.

what be more complementary would be high-magnification stabilized binoculars like the Fuji TSX1440 (heavy!), the Kite APC 16x42 (no ED glass, has chromatic aberration) or the Sig-Sauer Zulu6 HDX that's probably made by the same OEM (Kamakura Koki of Japan) but supposedly with better glass.
Are you suggesting that with IS, go for really high magnification instead of lower 10x or 12x?

I recommend researching the Tract Toric 10x42. Best bang for buck under $1K in my opinion. They just had a $100 off sale, not sure if it's still going on. I have had the Tract Toric 10x42 for around 6 years. I use it more than all my other bins. Only time I grab a bin over the Toric 10x, is for specialty purposes
Have you any familiarity with the Hawke Frontier APO 10x42? They seem similarly specced to the Tract. How does the Schott HT glass of the Tract compare to the APO of the Hawke? Other similarities/differences?

Are you suggesting that with IS, go for really high magnification instead of lower 10x or 12x?
Yes. The higher magnifications are still usable with IS, and will make a much bigger difference than going from 8x to 10x.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back