• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BD II XD 8x42 vs. Verano BGA VHD 8x42 (1 Viewer)

solium

Which do you think is better?
(Made in China vs.Japan , 143 vs.131m FOV etc. ...)

Thanks all.

Radim

Last edited:
MIJ.

Anything not made in china is better for innumerable reasons.
I tend to agree. I more and more try to avoid MiC binos altogether probably for the same reasons you have in mind.
At one point the BDII line was made in Japan however and some Kowas still are. I saw one of the pocket models with "Made in Japan" on it and tried it. FoV is rather narrow but optical quality was great.
My Fujinon HC 8x42, made in Japan, is better than any MiC binos I own in that price range. Unfortunately I bought a lot of them in good faith thinking they were Made in Japan which they were not. Like the Kite Cervus HD 8x56 which is the same bino as the MiC GPO 8x56 (to my excuse -- even an expert like Pinac thought the Kite Cervus was MiJ). I paid about the same for the Fujinon HC that I paid for the Kite Cervus and, believe it or not, the Fujinon is actually brighter in the day despite the AK-prisms and larger objectives of the Kite.
Or both my DDoptics "Pirschler" are very likely MiC as well. Well, what can you do?
DDoptics claimed in their catalog that "most" of their binos are made in Japan (China was NEVER even mentioned). In fact I think it is only one or two models so they just basically lied in their advertising material.
Some of the DDoptics models might have been made in the Phillippines since there are connections to Sightron who sold some of the same models and those AFAIK were made by Kenko who have a factory in the Philippines but also in China.
This "hide and seek" of many companies is really annoying. It should be "rewarded" by not buying their products IMHO.
I still do like my Kowa BDII 6.5x32 but the mustache distortion is frankly annoying. And it is not really any better optically than a 60€ Opticron T WP 6.5x32 porro or the APM 6x30 which at the moment is available with a discount for 160€.
At the moment I am even thinking about selling all my Chinese binos and just keeping the German and Japanese brands like Zeiss, Hartmann, Fujinon, all the old porros from the 60s to the 80s.
Basically I could live with just the Fujinon HC 8x42. But I am still in the honeymoon-phase.

I tend to agree. I more and more try to avoid MiC binos altogether probably for the same reasons you have in mind.
At one point the BDII line was made in Japan however and some Kowas still are. I saw one of the pocket models with "Made in Japan" on it and tried it. FoV is rather narrow but optical quality was great.
My Fujinon HC 8x42, made in Japan, is better than any MiC binos I own in that price range. Unfortunately I bought a lot of them in good faith thinking they were Made in Japan which they were not. Like the Kite Cervus HD 8x56 which is the same bino as the MiC GPO 8x56 (to my excuse -- even an expert like Pinac thought the Kite Cervus was MiJ). I paid about the same for the Fujinon HC that I paid for the Kite Cervus and, believe it or not, the Fujinon is actually brighter in the day despite the AK-prisms and larger objectives of the Kite.
Or both my DDoptics "Pirschler" are very likely MiC as well. Well, what can you do?
DDoptics claimed in their catalog that "most" of their binos are made in Japan (China was NEVER even mentioned). In fact I think it is only one or two models so they just basically lied in their advertising material.
Some of the DDoptics models might have been made in the Phillippines since there are connections to Sightron who sold some of the same models and those AFAIK were made by Kenko who have a factory in the Philippines but also in China.
This "hide and seek" of many companies is really annoying. It should be "rewarded" by not buying their products IMHO.
I still do like my Kowa BDII 6.5x32 but the mustache distortion is frankly annoying. And it is not really any better optically than a 60€ Opticron T WP 6.5x32 porro or the APM 6x30 which at the moment is available with a discount for 160€.
At the moment I am even thinking about selling all my Chinese binos and just keeping the German and Japanese brands like Zeiss, Hartmann, Fujinon, all the old porros from the 60s to the 80s.
Basically I could live with just the Fujinon HC 8x42. But I am still in the honeymoon-phase.
Hi Philip,

That little Kowa 6.5 is nice. A lot of these $300 to $500 binoculars mostly were made in Japan not very long ago. I had used a Vixen forester 8x32 a few years back and it was really nice glass, I had given it to a client. Fast forward to last last year , I seen something pop up in my email with a sale on those, the ad said MIJ. I had forgotten all about those binoculars so I jumped all over that. To my surprise when I got them it was made in China. They went back into the box before I even took them into the backyard to try them out, I didn’t even want to be tempted to keep them.

As far as China concerned, before their complete lack of taking responsibility for a worldwide pandemic killing millions , blaming the west for the death, destroying or setting back economies worldwide. The bellicose attitude towards Taiwan, and their threats of physical harm to United States representatives should be enough for everybody not to send money and support that country and that government. Before the Chyna virus I was huge into buying their high-quality products for many of my hobbies, Alibaba was on my Home Screen. That ship has sailed. People better wake up.

I have just recently been bitten by the vintage bug. Was it you that has that large collection of vintage binoculars?

Paul

I have just recently been bitten by the vintage bug. Was it you that has that large collection of vintage binoculars?

Paul
I do actually but I think I am not the only one with a large collection of vintage porros :). I am not sure how many but probably around 10-15 8x30s, the whole USSR-line-up of Komz from 6x25 to 12x45, a few Tentos (7x35, 8x40, 10x50 and 20x60), a ton of other Made in Japan porros of all sizes. An IOR 7x40, two old Zeiss, 3 old Hartmann, a couple Steiners, 3 wide angle 7x50, 4 wide angle 7x35. 4 old AK-prism models from 7x50 to 9x63, two skeleton bins, a 6x15 Nikon and another 6x25.
I never counted as I am afraid of the number that might come up. It's one cupboard filled and two large plastic crates under the sofa. And a few on varios shelves or the kitchen window sill.
Whenever I start a new hobby I get bitten by the "gear head bug".

I do actually but I think I am not the only one with a large collection of vintage porros :). I am not sure how many but probably around 10-15 8x30s, the whole USSR-line-up of Komz from 6x25 to 12x45, a few Tentos (7x35, 8x40, 10x50 and 20x60), a ton of other Made in Japan porros of all sizes. An IOR 7x40, two old Zeiss, 3 old Hartmann, a couple Steiners, 3 wide angle 7x50, 4 wide angle 7x35. 4 old AK-prism models from 7x50 to 9x63, two skeleton bins, a 6x15 Nikon and another 6x25.
I never counted as I am afraid of the number that might come up. It's one cupboard filled and two large plastic crates under the sofa. And a few on varios shelves or the kitchen window sill.
Whenever I start a new hobby I get bitten by the "gear head bug".
Addictive personality , huh. I’m very much same way. It’s a lot of fun getting new equipment to unpack and scrutinize the pros and cons of the gear. It also leads to other enjoyable g
hobbies. My wife says why do I need so many binoculars, I usually respond with , why does she need so many shoes. But she’s pretty witty, she responds , to get even for all the binoculars I buy. 😂

Paul

My wife says why do I need so many binoculars, I usually respond with , why does she need so many shoes.
Unfortunately, I also own more shoes than my wife :ROFLMAO: . I married one of the few women who doesn't even wanna go shopping for clothes. Just yesterday I bought some new Nikes and she had a look at a nice blouse. Didn't even wanna try it on. I said, "try it" and it looked beautiful. I basically had to talk her into letting me buy it for her (not to get the wrong impression, my wife makes more money than I do but we are both self-employed, so who pays for what and when can differ -- but I do pay for all my binos :ROFLMAO:)
Now I think I have spammed the thread enough.

I also do not buy MIC binoculars..... I just don't want to. I feel China has done a superb job of copying many of the products offered by major bin manufactures but I worry not about what it looks like on the outside, but what is on the 'inside' that will wear down quicker than it should.

The Verano's are very nice bins. I have an 8x32 and I couldn't be happier with it and I doubt if the 8x42 is any less of an instrument. Opticron is doing a nice job in making some quality bins with the Auroras, the Verano's etc.... I would not hesitate in purchasing other Opticrons.

I bought a pair of Opticron Savanah 8x30 porro's and for £109 they are well worth the money, made in China, Yes but they are as good as any at that price, would I prefer made in Japan? Of course but I am not complaining.
Take care, enjoy the birds, and good health to you Sir.

The Chinese take manufacturing "shortcuts" and use cheap sub-standard materials , their products are not made to last.
But I do admit to having some Chinese made binoculars ;).
I think that Swarovski is well on the way to adopt this mindset , biodegadable coverings indeed.
I think that Leica binoculars and camera's are about as good as it gets today (excluding the Nikon WX that is) , as far as quality of manufacture is concerned , but if you want them you have to PAY.
I am however not completely convinced that the modern Leica's are built to the same high standards that their old products were.
But the god of "Profit" must be worshipped , not so 😁.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back