• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genesis line? (1 Viewer)

William Lewis

Wishing birdwatching paid the bills.
United Kingdom
As far as I know Kowa introduced the Genesis line of binoculars in 2007 and have been quite widely praised - I've tried them and think they're excellent value for money- especially if you don't like chromatic aberration.

They offer an 8x22, 10x22, 8x33, 10x33, 8.5x44 and 10.5 x 44.

Unusual sizes for sure but all effective.

My question is has there ever been any updates that have been noticed or publicized - as a conventional mid level Schmidt pechan roof they must be the longest serving model, certainly longer than the Zeiss conquest, leica trinovid HD etc as all of these have been updated.

Any thoughts?

Will

I've wondered the same thing, especially if coatings have changed over the years. I've seen the 10.5x44 fov listed at 354 (BH photo) but also less at 324 (bestbinocularreviews.com). Did that change at some point? Which one is it?

I'm actually planning on purchasing the 10.5x44 in the near future.

Hi WT,

In relation to the Genesis lineup . . .

a) Both the earliest info that I’ve previously found from Kowa:
Genesis Spec's.jpg
b) And what's currently on Kowa’s site: Kowa Genesis Prominar XD44 10.5x

Show that the FOV for the 10.5x44 is 108 m at 1000 m
- which is 324 ft at 1000 yd (not the 354 ft stated in the screen shot)

By way of explanation . . .
As FOV is provided as a ratio, when 108 m at 1000 m is converted to imperial measurements, it's:
• 108 yd at 1000 yd, or;
• 324 ft at 1000 yd (as there are 3 ft to a 1 yd).

(This is in contrast to when considering specific distances, where there are 3.3 ft to 1 m.)

John

Thanks Gents. It would be interesting to see if anyone can post a photo of a newer Genesis models coatings as there are already photos from around 2018 of the 10.5x44 and 2016 for the 8x33 on Rogers Vines site a scope views to compare with.

Hi WT,

In relation to the Genesis lineup . . .

a) Both the earliest info that I’ve previously found from Kowa:
View attachment 1538618
b) And what's currently on Kowa’s site: Kowa Genesis Prominar XD44 10.5x

Show that the FOV for the 10.5x44 is 108 m at 1000 m
- which is 324 ft at 1000 yd (not the 354 ft stated in the screen shot)

By way of explanation . . .
As FOV is provided as a ratio, when 108 m at 1000 m is converted to imperial measurements, it's:
• 108 yd at 1000 yd, or;
• 324 ft at 1000 yd (as there are 3 ft to a 1 yd).

(This is in contrast to when considering specific distances, where there are 3.3 ft to 1 m.)

John
Thanks John,

Just curious, why assume in the photo the 108m is correct, instead of assuming the 354ft is correct?

Hi WT,

The Japanese have long used metric measurements both for general and technical uses, officially since 1921.
(And even where imperial measurements are still in general use, they are increasingly the exception for technical use.)

John

Thanks John,

Just curious, why assume in the photo the 108m is correct, instead of assuming the 354ft is correct?

w.travis,

In addition to John's input, I have owned the 10.5 for @ 8years and am confident based on experience that the FOV is 108 m as opposed to 354 feet. Superb in all respects except the ER appears to be slightly less than specified in use with glasses. Performance against harsh, difficult light conditions is top shelf.

Mike

w.travis,

In addition to John's input, I have owned the 10.5 for @ 8years and am confident based on experience that the FOV is 108 m as opposed to 354 feet. Superb in all respects except the ER appears to be slightly less than specified in use with glasses. Performance against harsh, difficult light conditions is top shelf.

Mike
Glad to hear, I plan to purchase the 10.5x soon as I sell a few of my current bins.

I purchased an 8x33 Genesis in 2012 and later discovered that it had hydrophobic coatings, which had not been advertised up to then.
Its control of longitudinal CA is better than any other binocular I have seen, but ER is rather tight and there is more than average vignetting (small prisms).
Nevertheless, a nice little bin.

John

PS:- IIRC I saw the prototypes of the 33s at Photokina 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back