• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B.2 11 x 45 or Kowa Genesis 10.5 x 44 (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,

After much research, I have narrowed my choices down for my new binocular purchase to either the Maven b.2 11 x 45 or the Kowa Genesis 10.5 x 44. I have handled the Kowa, but not the Maven, as they are not available in retail stores.
For folks here who either own both, or have experience handling, testing and using both, what are your thoughts? Which would you purchase if you can only have one?

Thanks
Michael in NJ

Last edited:
I have 2 Mavens and they are extremely good. One is a B.2 7x45. I have a Kowa, but it isn't a Genesis model. I would likely go with the Maven if I had my druthers.

They are both quite nice, sharp, contrast, heavy, well-built. For me personally, I prefer the kowa as the maven had too much CA for me and the genesis has practically none.

Kowa genesis models are all quite special. I've tried them all and was very impressed with the exception of the '20 pocket model. The double flourite lenses are a real bonus - proper high end astro tech -especially given the price point, the lack of c.a makes them in my view one of the best binoculars around, the top makes are only just catching up with their "ed" glass, although from my experience this still isn't quite up to the standards of kowa's pukka flourite. My SLC 8x56hd for example shows significantly more c.a than kowa genesis off axis.

If you can deal with the weight and potentially slightly worse warranty support of the kowa I'd snap them up. On the weight front it can become more of a problem the more you use them, I'm quite ok with the weight of the SLC which is a big heavy binocular not too dissimilar to the kowa you mention but I do still wish it weighed a few 100g less more often than I'd like to admit.

Will

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back