• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

La Fortuna, Costa Rica. Feb 2023 (1 Viewer)

Cormac

I consulted Merlin, eBird and books but I am unsure of these seven. All photos are from the La Fortuna area.

3735 - I was told on site that it was a type of Manakin ??
3809 - ??
3843 - Variable Seedeater ??
3102 - Cocoa Woodcreeper ??
3655 - Ochre Bellied Flycatcher ??
4078 - ??
4160 - Dusky-capped Flycatcher or Yellow-bellied Elaenia ??

Would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Attachments

• DSCN3735.JPG
    DSCN3735.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN3809.JPG
    DSCN3809.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN3843.JPG
    DSCN3843.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 43
  • FSCN3102.JPG
    FSCN3102.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 41
  • FSCN3655.JPG
    FSCN3655.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4078.JPG
    IMG_4078.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4160.JPG
    IMG_4160.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 35
10 years (!) since I was in CR, but I believe the following are correct:

735 - f/juv white collared manakin (red legs, dusky breast)
809 - Yellow warbler
843 - White lined tanager (I think though the tail looks a bit odd)
102 - Cocoa woodcreeper
655 - Lesser greenlet
078 - pass
160 - Dusky capped flycatcher (I think, but the myiarchus flycatchers are a real pain in the arse!)

Hopefully others with more recent experience can confirm!

10 years (!) since I was in CR, but I believe the following are correct:

735 - f/juv white collared manakin (red legs, dusky breast)
Agree
809 - Yellow warbler
I think f common yellowthroat (too dull for yellow warbler)
843 - White lined tanager (I think though the tail looks a bit odd)
Y. Male (note the bicoloured bill)
102 - Cocoa woodcreeper
Y
655 - Lesser greenlet
Imm. Ochre-bellied fly (we can see the double ochre wingbar starting to appear. Still has juv. gape)
078 - pass
Olivaceous woodcreeper
160 - Dusky capped flycatcher (I think, but the myiarchus flycatchers are a real pain in the arse
Y

735. W-C Manakin, bright with orange legs
809. Yellow Warbler, dull female. Note the strong edging on the wing feathers, Common Yellowthroat lacks this showing quite a uniformly unpatterned wing
843. Blue-black Grassquit, different proportions from W-S Tanager with smaller bill
101. Cocoa Woodcreeper
655. Ochre-bellied Flycatcher
078. Likely Olivaceous Woodcreeper
160. Dusky-capped Flycatcher. YB Elania would have a finer bill, lack the darker heard/crown and be paler overall

For Avery: where would the white in the wing come from if Grassquit?
The underwing coverts are white. A quick look through ebird images with show several examples where this is visible.

I thought this initially, but bill does appear bicoloured
I'm not so sure of this, the lower mandible only looks paler along the bulge of the curve (front to back) which makes sense as the light would be reflecting directly towards the observer from this part of the bill as it is the part of the bill that is flush to the observer. I realize that is perhaps a bit of an head-scratching statement but I can't think of a better way to describe it at the moment. :rolleyes:

Everything else adds up for BB Grassquit, the blue-ish iridescence, the brownish fringing on the body feathers that is typical on freshly moulted (immature?) males, smaller conical bill etc.

809. Yellow Warbler, dull female. Note the strong edging on the wing feathers, Common Yellowthroat lacks this showing quite a uniformly unpatterned wing
Hmm I was going to add this to the Opus page on these species when I thought I'd better just check against Ebird images. Those suggest it's not (always?) the case—outer vanes of flight feathers can be quite strongly yellow coloured; coverts less so often but still sometimes. That review confirmed it's yellow warbler on structure... (e.g. bill shape)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back