• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arenal/La Fortuna, Costa Rica (2 Viewers)

Cormac

Can anyone recommend a birdwatching guide in the Arenal / La Fortuna area please.
Also, any birding tips for the area would be greatly appreciated.
I will be there in mid Feb 2023.

Thanks bajadreamer.
Certainly. One of my friends who used him (about 3 weeks ago) who is very experienced birder and has traveled extensively, stated Nestor was one of the best he had used. "Sonar ears and Xray/Telescopic" eyes was the description.

Can anyone recommend a birdwatching guide in the Arenal / La Fortuna area please.
Also, any birding tips for the area would be greatly appreciated.
I will be there in mid Feb 2023.
Pat 'O Donnell would be great. Anthony Arce lives in La Fortuna and is recommended.

Juan Vargas and Diego Quesada are also good guides, though I wpukd start with Pat and Anthony as they are more local?

Go to La Fortuna park near dusk for parakeets and parrots which roost there.

Go towards sendero bogarin along the main road early in the morning and keep eyes open for common birds like bronzed cowbird. The crakes are in the pasture near the sendero by the road

Go into Sendero bogarin for crakes and more. Should be able to see toucans etc. Keep eyes out for migrant warblers like bay-breasted. Owner is very helpful, keen to point things out to people

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back