• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake District next week (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I am hoping to visit the Lake District for a day or 2 next week possibly early as Monday.

Mostly walking but want to see the better Wild Garlic woods and Bluebell carpets......any recommendations?

Hoping to catch up with upland species such as Ring Ouzel, Whinchat and also Pied Flycatcher, Wood Warbler, Redstart but I'm guessing the latter 3 could be in most decent woodland.

Red Squirrel possibly in most woods too?

I'm hoping to see the Hooded Merganser on the way back.

Anything else to look out for?

The woods in Borrowdale are great for bluebells and ransoms and would also provide flycatchers, Redstart and Wood Warbler. Ring Ouzel can be accounted anywhere on the higher fells even on the busier ones but can't think of a reliable single spot. The same really goes for Whinchat, if you want to go out of the park then RSPB Gletsdale is reliable for Whinchat. Red Squirrels are about but again no real reliable spots it is just luck really. There are some people in Patterdale that feed them and I have seen them from the road on someone's garden feeder!

There is Cumbria Birding Group on Facebook which can have recent gen.

The Hooded Merganser is a very pretty thing and still about. The tarn is viewable from the road but the farmer has been amenable to folk getting closer but ask first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back