• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Ontario shorebirds I (2 Viewers)

Michal B

Canada
In an area I visit regularly, the shoreline is almost entirely rock and cobble beaches, but for the first time I have seen, the lake is at a level that exposes one modest area of shallow water and mud. The result is that in the last few days there were a number of species that are new to the island (including American Pipit and Semipalmated Plover). Without a lot of experience with shorebirds, I want to make sure the IDs of the others are correct.

I have created 3 separate threads. There are 18 photos. I think they show Semipalmated Sandpiper, White-rumped Sandpiper, and Pectoral Sandpiper. There were numbers of Killdeer, Semipalmated Plovers and Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs in addition to the shorebirds I’ve focussed on.

I would appreciate any help.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_7482.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7484.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7486.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7504.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7509.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7524.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 23
Can you give location and date in all your posts, please? Thanks.
82. White-rumped sandpiper - I guess.
84 & 24. Least sandpiper - leg colour, bill shape+colour.
09. Juvenile dunlin - bill length+shape, underparts pattern.

Thanks for your insights. As I mentioned, the circumstances of having the area of mudflats depended on the exact level of Lake Ontario. You've helped move the species list in eBird for the island from 159 to 165.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back