• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lancashire Birding (3 Viewers)

Thas quite an early Whinchat for here, lucky you :t:

A couple of record shots of the Black Winged Stilts from this afternoon below, the birds seemed pretty settled so they may stick around for a while and hopefully attempt to breed.

DSC_1729.JPGDSC_1734.JPG

Thas quite an early Whinchat for here, lucky you :t:

A couple of record shots of the Black Winged Stilts from this afternoon below, the birds seemed pretty settled so they may stick around for a while and hopefully attempt to breed.

View attachment 318797View attachment 318798

Nice work on the Stints Jonny. I'd recommend a trip to where I was today as if annoying idiots appear on bikes, you can always head up the Ribble.

2 x Buzzard (mating like hell haha!!), Whinchat, 3 Willow Warblers, 1 Female Blackcap, 2 Red Legged Partridge, Kestrel, 2 Mistle Thrushes all in a 45 min standing still episode.

After a 5 day absence the (Lesser?) Redpoll numbers in our garden (Bispham, Blackpool) doubled today, from 1 to 2 ;) .

Two birds visiting the nyjer feeder at 9am this morning, no photographs as I was sat out in the garden at the time, so I just enjoyed the view.

Rossall Point – Wheatears

At least 12 Wheatears at Rossall around lunchtime for anyone who's interested.
A few Ringed Plover and Dunlin on the shore but pretty quiet otherwise
APART FROM
2,000 Grockles
4,000 Dogs
12,000 little Cherubs
so be warned! Go prepared.
(I find Brut works but that's just showing my age... I can see people now... what the **** is Brut?)
Photos to go on my blog when I've processed them, if your lucky maybe odd one on here!

APART FROM
2,000 Grockles
4,000 Dogs
12,000 little Cherubs
(I find Brut works but that's just showing my age... I can see people now... what the **** is Brut?)
Photos to go on my blog when I've processed them, if your lucky maybe odd one on here!

Or break out the Old Spice maybe. ;)

APART FROM
2,000 Grockles
4,000 Dogs
12,000 little Cherubs

Oh and Lynx does not do what it states on the adverts!!

Rossall

I struggle to add photos on this site for some reason, can't get the res and size right at all to satisfy max requirements.

Anyway a taster for anyone interested... or thinking of a visit.

I haven't even got these on my blog yet but there are some others (better ones?).

Now where's that Brut, Lynx and Old Spice, that should work.

Attachments

• Wheatear1.jpeg
    Wheatear1.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Wheatear2.jpeg
    Wheatear2.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Dunlin.group.jpeg
    Dunlin.group.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Dunlinvs2.jpeg
    Dunlinvs2.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Flight.jpeg
    Flight.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 43
I walked from the centre of Cleveleys round the coast to Fleetwood today with the best birds being my first 3 Whimbrels of the year on the shore near to Rossall School at high tide. The area of reeds to the south of the school held quite a few migrants with singing Grasshopper Warbler, 1+ Reed Warbler and Reed Bunting all present.

1st summer White Stork (unringed) left its overnight roost at Fleetwood Tip at 5:40 this morning (5 minutes before I arrived!). However I found it in fields to the south of here opposite the entrance to Burglar's Alley and then on the football fields near the Bourne Poacher pub in Thornton. It flew south from here and over the houses at 6:20.

White Stork

Just wondered if anyone could confirm whether there have been 1 or 2 White Storks in your area recently? Birdguides are listing an escapee from Harewood which later changes to an unringed first summer bird.

I originally picked a bird up on Sunday which was then seen going West through to Lancs. I had originally dismissed it as an escapee but it would be more interesting if you only have an unringed 1st summer.

Cheers

This week I think there have been 2 birds, 1 escaped bird and the new first summer. A quick summary of the records so far are:

26/03/2011 - 27/03/2011 - escaped adult from Harewood House in yorkshire seen at Pilling on the 26th and then at Ormskirk and Halton on the 27th.

18/04/2011 - one bird was seen at Lytham Moss and then over Thornton during the morning, was called an escpeee however I don't know if it was confirmed as the escaped bird or if it was just assumed that it was.

21/04/2011 - 22/04/2011 - a bird was initially seen over Marton Mere during the afternoon and thought to be a different bird due to changes in the plumage from the previous bird. Roosted at Fleetwood Nature Reserve where it was confirmed to be an unringed first summer. Seen in the general area this morning with the last report being at 8:40.

So the big questions is was the bird seen at Lytham on the 18th definately the escapee? Anyone any info on that...

Interesting. With the last confirmed sighting of the escapee on the 28/03 I suppose there is a definite chance that the bird I saw which was seen going West toward Lancs. could have been the 1st summer. Bugger!

A few sightings from today:

Fluke Hall - Tree Pipit over, 300+ Meadow Pipit over, 2 Chiffchaff

Pilling Marsh - Whimbrel, only c75 Pink Footed Geese left

Bank End - c60 Skylark on the marsh

Conder Pool - Spotted Redshank, Common Sandpiper

Marton Mere - Lesser Whitethroat, lots of Common Whitethroat but not much else

This week I think there have been 2 birds, 1 escaped bird and the new first summer. A quick summary of the records so far are:

26/03/2011 - 27/03/2011 - escaped adult from Harewood House in yorkshire seen at Pilling on the 26th and then at Ormskirk and Halton on the 27th.

18/04/2011 - one bird was seen at Lytham Moss and then over Thornton during the morning, was called an escpeee however I don't know if it was confirmed as the escaped bird or if it was just assumed that it was.

21/04/2011 - 22/04/2011 - a bird was initially seen over Marton Mere during the afternoon and thought to be a different bird due to changes in the plumage from the previous bird. Roosted at Fleetwood Nature Reserve where it was confirmed to be an unringed first summer. Seen in the general area this morning with the last report being at 8:40.

So the big questions is was the bird seen at Lytham on the 18th definately the escapee? Anyone any info on that...

Pretty sure the 18th April bird on Lytham Moss was the Harewood one with the ring - seen by the Shakeshafts. They'd just come from there when me n Frank bumped into them at Lawson's Gropper-fest

Cheers

D

For anyone who doesn't know Ian Gardner found Lancashire's first Short-toed Lark on the model airstrip at Fleetwood Marsh Nature Park this evening. Still showing well when I left.

Stephen

Any chance it will be there in the morning? Might go down early to try and see it as I was in Manchester today!

Possibly. On the other hand it is a calm clear night at the moment, it might have helped if the forecast fog and mist had come in sooner.

As the day wears on disturbance could clearly be an issue if it does stay.

Stephen

Possibly. On the other hand it is a calm clear night at the moment, it might have helped if the forecast fog and mist had come in sooner.

As the day wears on disturbance could clearly be an issue if it does stay.

Stephen

Okay well I'm probably going to go take a look and hopefully it will still be around

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back