• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lancashire Birding (3 Viewers)

2 Temminick's Stints on the entrance pools at Newton Marsh today, can show well however usually distant and are quite often out of view

Nice spot.

2 Stints still there at 20.00hrs Monday 9th... on the last piece of water's edge you can see. Bring scope!

Thanks for the info on Ellel Grange.

(better than the tele)

Most definitely Gradders, the hour I spent there today flew by.

How fantastic to see these elegant birds in such an urban environment. I wonder just how many folk are oblivious to their presence?

I've attached a few photos from today, I seemed to pick the only hour with no sunshine, in fact it even spitted with rain a few times whilst I was there & what with the lack of sun coupled with the stiff breeze I'd have a given my right arm for a pair of gloves (or for a glove for my left hand). I'll stick more photos on my website tomorrow.

Cheers

Cliff

Attachments

• commonTern_110511f.jpg
    commonTern_110511f.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 75
  • commonTern_110511h.jpg
    commonTern_110511h.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 81
  • commonTern_110511i.jpg
    commonTern_110511i.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 77
  • commonTern_110511b.jpg
    commonTern_110511b.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 85
  • commonTern_110511e.jpg
    commonTern_110511e.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 59
Most definitely Gradders, the hour I spent there today flew by.

How fantastic to see these elegant birds in such an urban environment.
Cliff

I called by for a late lunch and only 23 on view but individulas were flying off past the bullnose, I assume fishing.

I struggle to post images here so mine are on the blog for what they are worth.
g

Bad weather seems to have halted the birding recently! Quick 45 minute seawatch off Rossall Point today produced:
72 Manx Shearwaters N
8 Gannet S
9 Auk sp (5N, 4S)
1 Fulmar S

Trip to Marshside today wet and windy to start but fine later.Best birds of the day Little Stint,Little Gull and Whitethroat.Called in at a reliable spot for Pied Fly on the way home and managed to connect with both male and female.

Attachments

• pf.jpg
    pf.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 78
  • pf2.jpg
    pf2.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 59
Leighton Moss RSPB

Saw a 1st summer Little Gull hawking from Lillians Hide mid-afternoon yesterday. Late afternoon there was also a Great White Egret briefly from Eric Morcambe hide. It was seen only in flight and landed low down along the fence line that runs from the hide.

Marshside...

Fairly quiet here today.

Avocet
Redshank
Kestrel
Black Tailed Godwit
Shelduck
Meadow Pipit
House Martins
Swallows
LOTS of black headed gulls with chicks
Oystercatchers
Juv Pied Wagtails
Coot with juv
Skylark

Came back via Hesketh Out Marsh..

Also fairly dead

Shelduck
Avocet
Swallow
Common Tern

Then the rain started...so wen't home.

Took a walk around Carleton and Poulton this afternoon in search of Jays which I know are in the area. I focused my search around the Swimming Baths and Golf Course where there are the most trees but completely failed to find any Jays, still not seen any this year! However plenty of other birds around including:
4 Mistle Thrush
2 Song Thrush
Whitethroat
2 Swift
male Sparrowhawk
plenty of Robins and Wrens collecting food

Anyone out there known any reliable sites for Jays in the Fylde I've already tried several!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back