• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Raptors Kaiser Mountains (1 Viewer)

On a ski run this week I noticed two very large raptors soaring high over the west side of the Kaiser Mountain range (so 2000m +). Unfortunately I didn't have my bins with me, but my immediate impression was vulture. Does anyone know if Bearded Vultures are a possibility in this area (I know they were reintroduced about 50-60km south of this area) and if not I can only guess they were eagles (Golden?) based on size. Any info on Raptors of that area greatly appreciated.

Both species are possible in that area, but soaring sounds more likely to be Golden Eagle, Lammergeier tend to drift close along the mountainsides.

Bearded Vultures even seen from time to time in Germany, espiacially in winter.
Griffon comes in summer from Friaul to Rauris ( Austria ).
Griffon at Untersberg, I think stay in winter in zoo of Salzburg.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back