• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large snake ID from China (1 Viewer)

Androsnick

Birder on a budget
Hi I wonder if anyone can help ID this large snake from China. It was seen on the island of Chongming which is just off Shanghai. I've attached a couple of photos but unfortunately (or as it turned out, probably fortunately) I don't have any images of its head.
It was on a concrete farm track through a paddy field, the snake was stationary (I even wondered if it were dead at one point) I stood and took some shots and waved for my wife and adult son to come and have a look. At that point a dopey/dazed looking frog hopped onto the road and then back into the paddy field. All of a sudden with explosive action the snake almost 'jumped' (don't ask me how, it completely took me by surprise!) into the air and disappeared in a flash into the paddy. I assume? it realised we were there and took evasive action, but with the speed and mobility it seemed to posses I was just glad it went away from me rather than towards me.
I'd estimate it to be around 2m, ~6 foot long and a girth about like an adult wrist ~20cm. (Because of large variations in colour and patterning of many of the different snakes I've had little luck with an internet search, BUT some photos of Monocled cobra (Naja kaouthia) resemble the strong patterning of 'my' snake.)
Thanks in advance
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    423.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6051.JPG
    IMG_6051.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 30
The ID has been confirmed to me, pers com, by Gernot Vogel who writes.....

'its Ptyas nigromarginata or Zaocys nigromarginatus, depending on acceptance of the genus.'

He sent me a paper which I can forward if you're interested?

The ID has been confirmed to me, pers com, by Gernot Vogel so it is Ptyas nigromarginata though he does add the caveat '
depending on acceptance of the genus.' and he sent me a paper which I can forward if you're interested?
Hi Andy, thanks, I would be interested in the paper - it may be one I thought I'd downloaded about that species (I just found that again and it is authored by Gernot Vogel so I'm guessing it is the paper in question - it hadn't downloaded but I have found the article again). I've not yet fully read it but was thinking that Chongming off the coast of Shanghai was a long way east for it to have got. If you have a different article I'd be pleased to see it. Thanks for your efforts, Nick

It's this

'Addition of Ptyas nigromarginata (Blyth, 1854) (Squamata: Colubridae) to the Snake Fauna of Thailand with Preliminary
Remarks on Its Distribution Gernot VOGEL 1* and Sjon HAUSER'

It's this

'Addition of Ptyas nigromarginata (Blyth, 1854) (Squamata: Colubridae) to the Snake Fauna of Thailand with Preliminary
Remarks on Its Distribution Gernot VOGEL 1* and Sjon HAUSER'
Hi Andy, yes that's the one - I did just send my e-mail address before I saw this last comment. Is Gernot a friend? As I said above (still not read the paper) it seems to have got a long way east if his paper refers to it being now found in western China. Also, this was most definitely at not much above sea level and also not forest?? Could be an escapee?? Cheers
Nick

Hi Andy, yes that's the one - I did just send my e-mail address before I saw this last comment. Is Gernot a friend? As I said above (still not read the paper) it seems to have got a long way east if his paper refers to it being now found in western China. Also, this was most definitely at not much above sea level and also not forest?? Could be an escapee?? Cheers
Nick
He's just a contact, he's well know author and I have several of his books.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back